Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #1  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Red face My "5 Hour Energy" Confession...

I recently have started taking 5 hour energy drink (sugar free) before my exercise sessions (mostly long runs). I kinda feel like it's "cheating"...cuz I wish I had the energy on my own. I work out in the early a.m. (around 8a.m.) and sometimes I just don't feel like doing anything so I pop a 5 hour energy and in minutes I'm TURBO CHARGED!!!! I usually sweat like crazy and really fly through whatever my workout session.

My question is...anyone else do this? AND...is there any drawbacks to taking this before my workouts if it helps?

Thanks
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #2  
Meg

Your 5 hour energy drink isn't any different than drinking a cup of coffee before a workout (with a few B vitamins added) -- both have the same amount of caffeine. Studies have shown that caffeine helps a workout and I'm not aware of any downside unless caffeine bothers you.

Me -- I'm a two mugs of coffee before the gym person! How could I work out without it?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #3  
I'm a SWIMMER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Your 5 hour energy drink isn't any different than drinking a cup of coffee before a workout (with a few B vitamins added) -- both have the same amount of caffeine. Studies have shown that caffeine helps a workout and I'm not aware of any downside unless caffeine bothers you.

Me -- I'm a two mugs of coffee before the gym person! How could I work out without it?
WOW...thanks for making me feel like less of a freak! LOL! I was beginning to think I was going to have to join "5 hour energy anonymous"...haha!

BTW, I love your avi...it's really inspiring...you are literally HALF the person you were..WHOAAAAH..INCREDIBLE!!!

Last edited by joyfulloser; 12-01-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Not only do I down a couple cups of (half-caf) coffee before my run, but when I get home, I tend to walk straight to the coffeemaker and pour another cup. I find myself fantasizing about coffee while I'm running.

Some of the gels for refueling during your workout contain caffeine as well. So you are certainly not alone!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #5  
Mini Goal 2 reached!

S/C/G: 164/142.5/135

Height: 5'6.5"

I agree with everyone, it's no worse than black coffee, though I don't know how all of you drink either one, LOL, they both taste icky, :P If I drink coffee, it's gotte have soem sugar in it! LOL
Andejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #6  
banned

I guess I should start "caffeinating" myself. I usually don't drink anything like that, and rarely have any energy. Not sure why this never occurred to me before. lol.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:46 AM   #7  
Reformed Chef

S/C/G: 275.5/ticker/?

I dont like coffee so I take caffeine in pill form. Just caffeine not anything freaky added. I take about 50 mg which is like strong tea.

A moderate amount can be very helpful!
AmandaMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Can you tell me what it is called? Or is it actually called 5 hour energy? Because between the hay fever and the extra desk work this week the coffee is not doing its usual job for getting me out of the chair, and maybe I need to switch things up a little.

Also does it have any sort of side effects that you notice? Do its effects wear off by the end of your exercise session?

Last edited by bronzeager; 12-08-2010 at 09:34 AM.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #9  
I'm a SWIMMER!

I actually love it. It's energy blend (taurine, malic acid, l-tyrosine, caffeine and some other stuff..lol), niacin, b6, b12 and folic acid sugar free shots. I like that it has vitamin b12 and folic acid as I don't take a daily multivitamin and would all this exercise could probably use the added energy boost of vitamins!

www.5hourenergy.com

Last edited by joyfulloser; 12-08-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:39 AM   #10  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

I've seen these at the store and have considered getting it a few times. But I didn't because I was afraid of side effects. I'm just soooo tired all the time. I really want to try it. I'm certain I could have better workouts if I had more energy.

The one thing I'm most afraid of is getting dependent on it. Like, getting to the point where I feel even more tired without it than I used to and not being able to workout without it.

How long have you been using it? You haven't had any negative effects?

Last edited by TheBunneh; 12-08-2010 at 09:39 AM.
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #11  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

This is really intriguing to me...When I ran my half marathon, I saw a few people taking 5 hour energy before the start. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I may sometime soon.

I currently take something called Jack3d before my weight lifting workouts and it gives me tons of energy so I can push myself harder than I normally would. Never put two and two together that the same idea could work for cardio as well, lol. sometimes i'm slow
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #12  
I'm a SWIMMER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunneh View Post
The one thing I'm most afraid of is getting dependent on it. Like, getting to the point where I feel even more tired without it than I used to and not being able to workout without it.

How long have you been using it? You haven't had any negative effects?
Don't worry...you won't get "hooked" or have "withdrawal"..it's not CRACK or at least I don't think so..haha!

Check out the ingredients here: www.5hourenergy.com

As you'll see it's just caffeine, vitamin 6, 12 and taurine... I don't take it everyday because I don't want my body to get so used to it that it doesn't work. That's the worse thing that could happen, you know...if you use it everyday it will just get less effective, but there's absolutely NO CRASH.

I use it every other day and so far...so good!

Eve - I use it before my runs and I always out perform my best time or mileage...it's really GREAT before a run! Hmmm...now would you mind telling me about this "Jacked" stuff...I need more umphhhh to my weight training...thx
Old 12-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 205/184/145

I can't drink 5hr energy. I get a horrible niacin flush.

I take Excedrin before my workouts. The aspirin and acetaminophen help with knee pain, and the caffeine gives me a boost.
shelle58704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #14  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelle58704 View Post
I can't drink 5hr energy. I get a horrible niacin flush.

I take Excedrin before my workouts. The aspirin and acetaminophen help with knee pain, and the caffeine gives me a boost.
Is that like a flush I get from wine do you think? Red face? Horrible burning, like a sun burn? Just curious.

Doesn't the exercising itself energize you guys? I'm just curious because I don't need anything like this. But my drowsy time is 4 in the afternoon until bedtime...which just makes me a drip at parties. But my mornings are all pep! Yes, even at 4:40 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 205/184/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Is that like a flush I get from wine do you think? Red face? Horrible burning, like a sun burn? Just curious.
Could be, but I don't think so. My cousin has a similar response to any alcohol, and but it's not the same as mine. Mine is mostly hot face and tingely hands.

Quote:
Doesn't the exercising itself energize you guys? I'm just curious because I don't need anything like this. But my drowsy time is 4 in the afternoon until bedtime...which just makes me a drip at parties. But my mornings are all pep! Yes, even at 4:40 AM.
I am not much of a morning person. Getting to the gym is 90% of my battle. I need the caffeine to get there!
shelle58704 is offline   Reply With Quote