General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Default HP Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 SPOILER ALERT

alright let's talk. Am I blind or did they disarm Narcissa, not Bellatrix, at Malfoy Manor? I could have sworn I read somewhere a clip about Helene Bonham Carter acting like Hermione in Bellatrix clothes but if they disarmed Narcissa in the movie, then it isn't going to play right.

And what did you all think of the Harry / Hermione dance scene in the tent? I've read that a lot of people loved it. I HATED it. I would have rather had that deleted but then have Peter Pettigrew's hand flip out and choke him to death.

Another thing I'm confused on, I thought in the book, they had just finished robbing Gringott's when Voldemort broke open the crypt. Did I remember that wrong too? I need to go back and re-read this one, but I'm in the middle of Order of the Phoenix so I want to finish that one first.

I loved the opening with Hermione obliviating her parents. She played that really well as did Ron when he flipped out in the tent and left.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 154/see ticker/114

Height: 5'5

I really liked the dance scene because I thought it was sweet, and I like it when people do stuff like that for me when I'm upset xD But then I'm a bit of a sap sometimes.

Huh, I honestly don't remember. And I haven't read any of the books in forever, but the movie seemed to flow quite nicely regardless.

And yeah, props to Emma Watson. She's not the best actress, but she did really show some improvement in this film.
Flamethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:16 PM   #3  
I heart 3FC

S/C/G: 210/197/135

Height: 5'2" Age: 28

The dance scene was OK, but I thought it was an unnecessary addition. I didn't notice if they disarmed Narcissa, but Bellatrix did say something like, "How dare you defy your master?" which I took to mean Narcissa, since she's a Malfoy.

I thought it was a little weird that they didn't have Pettigrew's hand strangle him. Do you remember if in the 4th movie (like in the book) Dumbledore told Harry that he would be glad he had spared Pettigrew's life someday? Because if he said it, then the hand thing really should have been included in the movie.

I always thought Daniel Radcliffe was the weakest link, and that he was awfully lucky he looked like Harry Potter. They were all a lot better in this movie, though. And Emma Watson grew up to be absolutely gorgeous, huh?

Man, I can talk for days about Harry Potter if you get me started.

Edit: OK, one more thing. I think one thing these movies does incredibly well is casting. Bellatrix might as well have been written to be played by Helena Bonham Carter, and Umbridge is SO PERFECT. Others too, but I think those are the standouts.

Last edited by just keep swimming; 11-30-2010 at 05:17 PM.
just keep swimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #4  
losing and schmoozing

S/C/G: 175/ticker/155

Height: 5' 6"

JKS - I agree about the great casting! The main characters all got cast based on looks and age, but have definitely grown into the parts by now (kind of unrelated, but poor Emma Watson being contractually obligated to keep her hair long for the films - glad she finally has the freedom to do her own thing again!).

Luna Lovegood is my favorite in the movies. Evanna Lynch is perfect for that part.

I want part 2!!!
cornellchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #5  

Ironically, Helene Bonham Carter was not supposed to play Bellatrix. Whomever the lady is that plays Narcissa was originaly cast for Bella's role but she got pregnant and had to bow out. I will have to re-watch GoF to see if Dumbledore says anything about Pettigrew owing Potter a favor. That's a good point.

I think Rupert is the strongest of the three main actors, then Daniel and Emma kind of swap back and forth. And I positively bristle whenever I see the name Imelda Staunton. She played Umbridge perfectly.

I wish the editors hadn't cut out the backstory for Dean Thomas. Whenever I read about wizards that have been killed by Death Eaters I wonder if it was his dad.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #6  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

So.. I haven't read any of the books....

But gah I cried SO HARD when Dobby died!! I didn't have a clue! It was AWFUL!!!! I never cry in movies but that hit me like a ton of freaking bricks!!!

Also, I thought the dance scene was really weird and misplaced, but now, reflecting on it, I really like what they did there.

I also thought it was so strange in the movie before this one that Ron and Hermoine were dating because I feel like it was absolutely out of nowhere, so I'm glad in this movie they really played that aspect up (I guess they had to). The boyfriend had to explain that in the books in makes more sense.

I do plan on reading every last one of them. I'm just really late on the HP bandwagon.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:57 PM   #7  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

I just re-read the last book a few weeks before the movie came out. But I can't remember that one little detail now, lol!!

I LOVED the dance scene. I didn't like it the first time I saw the movie..but when we saw it the next day, I loved it. I know my friends would do something like that for me.

I cried so hard when Dobby died too. I cried in the books & cried both times I saw it in the theater. Whenever I think about it, I start crying all over again. Same with Hedwig. I kinda wish they showed the headstone Harry made for Dobby. "Here Lies Dobby, A Free Elf". Okay..I think I'm going to cry again!!!
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:20 PM   #8  

I cried when Dobby died in the book, but not in the movie - the Girl was watching me real close so I had to "man up!" LOL

In the book they definitely disarm Bellatrix because when Hermione goes to Diagon Alley disguised as Bella, a wizard comments that he'd heard she no longer had her wand, at which point, Hermione-Bella pulled it out and told him to check his facts. But in the movie I swear it was Narcissa's wand that flew out her hand, not Bellatrix'.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:08 PM   #9  
I heart 3FC

S/C/G: 210/197/135

Height: 5'2" Age: 28

Shop - I cried repeatedly when reading the books (especially at Dobby's headstone), and nearly during the movie.

Cornell - I can't believe I forgot Evanna Lynch as one of the awesome casting choices! "That's an odd thing to keep in your sock."

Eskinomad - I feel like they handled the Ron/Hermione thing really oddly in the 6th movie, especially considering how they sort of erased it with this one.

I really think this movie was the best so far, largely because it was so true to the books. I was wondering where they were going to end this one, but I think it worked, even though I think you're right, tikanique, that the elder wand was taken from the tomb later.

I do wish there had been more of the Dumbledore backstory, with the Grindelwald friendship and how Harry struggled with learning about his life. It was also too bad that a lot of the characters got very little screen time, but it makes sense. Very much looking forward to the last movie, but there's a LOT that needs to be shown to wrap everything up!
just keep swimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 154/see ticker/114

I'd say Rupert Grint is the best of the main three, but Daniel Radcliffe is so wooden a lot of the time. He's gotten gradually better though, just like Emma Watson.

I watched the first film the other night and omg they were all so cute and ickle!
Flamethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #11  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
I watched the first film the other night and omg they were all so cute and ickle!

Tee hee hee bawwwwwwwww
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #12  
On a mission

S/C/G: HW280/CW270/GW160

Height: 5'9"

I thought the dance scene was okay, but it didn't reall seem like something Harry would initiate, no matter how much he gets on with Hermione (from the book perspective.) From the movie perspective, it makes sense, coming of the HBP.
That being said, I know in the book, they talked about Peter pettigrew and something like a life debt, and it gets paid off in Deathly hallows. I am not sure about the movie version.

Tikanique - I think in book seven, the timeframes are all kind of going on concurrently. I got the impression that it was kind of happening simultaneously, and it was a race against the clock. I also think that she disarmed Narcissa, but I will need to go and see it again to make sure!!! LOL

Eskinomad - All I have to say, is that all will be revealed when you read the books. It is a slower developing relationship, but it is definitely there.

I really did think this was the best of the movies and not just because it is the latest. It has just taken me this long to not be upset about how different the movies are from the books.
I really like the casting. I love the weasleys... I just think the script writers gave them lines from the books, with no setup, so they just talk out of nowhere. Other than that, I think they make a great family.
vdander24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #13  

I just realized that they also did show the changing relationship between Harry and Kreacher. Not that it's major, but I just kind of had a mental picture of him in the next movie running around with the RAB locket. LOL!!! That really tickled me when I read it.

I'm not all that fond of how they portray Molly Weasley either. She's too nice in the movies; in the books she's not afraid to let her kids / husband / Sirius have it. I'm wondering how that will play out in the battle of Hogwarts.

Oh, and did anybody else think that Lucius looked the part? Fresh out of Azkaban and shamed in his own home? I love how he plays his character.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:21 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 280/247/160

Height: 5'3"

Whenever I see the latest movie, I'm struck by how little I remember from the books. I swear, I can't remember anything!!
I thought this movie was better than many of the others, probably because they had more time to show a few of the "emotional" scenes. The last 2 films, I felt they just raced from one action scene to action scene with an odd, misplaced seeming "character development" segment strewn in here or there. In terms of acting it's nothing to write home about, but then again - it's never been about that for me.

That being said, even when I read the books I kept saying how they should have an "adult" version of the books and/or films . I realize it's a kid's book but still - I had a lot of questions regarding wizard.... love . Btw, I had an even bigger problem with the Twilight books. There was some serious potential for "rated R" material in there and I think the way Stefanie Meyer describes the vampires leaves a LOT of questions unanswered .
cincimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:08 AM   #15  

I have never read a Twilight book nor seen a movie. I saw Vampire Circus when I was 7. Scared the beejeesus out me then and vampires still creep me out to this day. Werewolfs, witches/wizards, mummies I can handle but walking dead blood suckers!?!? no way!! LOL!!!