General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-29-2010, 12:51 AM   #1  
Phil1:6

S/C/G: 253(old)/220(new)/ticker/170

Height: 6'

Default Going to Europe... Kinda nervous!

So as you can see from the bottom of my signature, my gift to myself for meeting my final goal was supposed to be a trip to Europe..
wellll, I will be finishing nursing school in May & (hopefully) starting an extensive training process soon after, so it would be really hard for me to schedule a lot of time off for about a year after I graduate- SO, I already booked my flight for March!!
By then, if I continue to loose 2lbs a week, I should be 190, 20 lbs from goal- my only (huge) worry/frustration is that I will still be in the loosing process when I go-
So I dont know if there really is any advice, but if you have any- Im kind of nervous/bummed that I am going to have to go to Europe in thrift store clothes cause I certainly dont want to go buy a cute wardrobe if I am not going to be that weight for long! And well I dont know why I am so worried about it- not just the clothes, but I really want to make it to at least 190 before then so I dont look huuuge in my pictures I'll have forever; so that pressure kind of sucks... but anyways, any tips would be appreciated!!
DaughteroftheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:59 AM   #2  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

OOOOO I like going there, taking my 8th trip in less than a month! Where are you going in Europe?

Buy yourself a couple of cute yet inexpensive outfits for your trip. It is IMPERATIVE that you feel cute and attractive while you're on vacation.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:02 AM   #3  

Yea I think thats why Im so nervous, I really want to feel cute while Im there!!

My sister, my best friend & myself are going to Munich, Paris & Rome (my first time to Europe!!) for a total of 11 days- got any travel tips or places I should visit besides the obvious while Im there??
Old 11-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #4  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I've been to Munich and Paris. I agree, don't feel like you have to wear thrift store stuff. bring shoes you can walk in, because you'll be walking A LOT! which will easily counteract eating and drinking splurges. Second piece of advice, pack light, pack light, pack light. You definitely will be buying things there, and it can be a drag schlepping lots of luggage.

Boy, I loved Munich. Paris is spectacular.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Bring comfortable shoes, I brought black Reeboks they don't look as touristy as white ones and don't look too bad with a dressier outfit. I only took black and nay blue pants and an assortment of tops I could wear with either. Take less clothes than you think you will need. Trust me on this !

Last edited by bargoo; 11-29-2010 at 08:38 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #6  
Back in the saddle again

S/C/G: 249/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

I'm adding in another "comfortable shoes" so you're happily doing a lot of walking instead of spending money on taxis and such, and buy at least one or two outfits that make you feel cute - personally, when I feel more attractive, I'm more likely to make healthier food choices. Something you could try with lots of restaurant eating is ordering an appetizer as your meal...and remember, if the appetizer ends up being tiny, you can always order another one or something for dessert - the time you end up having to wait for the waiter to come back gives you time to digest and decide if you really want more food. Food places really close to the big tourist stops always seemed more likely to have high fat Americanized food, IMO.

Are you a museum or activities person? Personally, I loved the well known attractions in Paris and Rome (never been to Munich), and could easily spend days at the Louvre and Musee D'Orsay - I also really liked the Rodin museum...In Rome, the Capuchin Crypt beneath the Capuchin Church is really neat in a truly freaky kind of way (look up some online pics), same with the Parisian catacombs (and the stairs there will burn off at least one meal ). We went on a tour of the Vatican and another of the Forum and Coliseum with Angel Tours http://www.angeltoursrome.com and had a great time - they do a free tour of the Pantheon most days, so you can try them out first, then book other tours if you like them (it was nearly 8 years ago when I went, so who knows if they've changed).

If you like ice cream at all, you've definitely got to save some room for real Italian gelato - personally, I'd save it for the last day, otherwise, once I got a taste, I'd try to convince myself it was okay to eat it for every meal Same for good French bread (normally VERY off plan for me) - visit a market, grab some fruit and easy to eat veggies that look good, a few fresh slices of meat from the deli and picnic on the lawns around the Eiffel Tower... Live like Europeans: smaller portions, fresh food in season, rich food in moderation, lots of conversation (long meals) so your food has time to digest, and walk everywhere
spixiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:28 PM   #7  
Staying the Same

I've never lived any of these places so I dunno any "hints" or anything useful aside from the standard "don't get sucked into tourist trap restaurants with bad food." Been to Paris twice and Munich once.

Everyone in Paris is REALLY thin (most women are probably about a 2-4) and they really dress up as compared to Americans. I wouldn't wear sneakers, opt for cute flats or flat boots or something (break them in pre-departure). Everyone wears scarves - might be good to pick up some scarves there. It'll be cool bordering on cold in March.

Munich is kind of the same - as far as German cities go, people are really stylish and beautiful. If you guys are looking for clubbing, Kultfabrik has a ridiculously high concentration of clubs all in one little block. http://www.kultfabrik.de/ See if you can't schedule a day trip to Neuschwanstein Castle, the Sleeping Beauty one. It will take about a day to do but the countryside is gorgeous and it'll be nice to get out of the city.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:08 AM   #8  

Wow thank you all so much for the tips!!
We are certainly looking forward to all the museums & activities & FOOD (of course burnt off with all the exercise!) The Louvre, the museums, the catacombs, all that, I cant wait- & we've already set a day aside to go to the Castle in Germany!
I have really big feet (12s) & only wear flip flops- and Im a broke student so finding really good shoes is hard- I actually got a pair of boots & tennis shoes from payless of all places- they had really good online reviews, so we'll see when they come in the mail- if they arent great, I'll have to return em because I do plan on walking alot..
& I'll have to splurge & get some cute outfits a week or so before so I'll be the same size then- I know Im totally going to look like a chunky, casual American tourist, and that stinks- I wish I could look so fashionable & skinny like those dang europeans lol...
Thank you all for all the tips again! Cant wait to go!! 101 days!
Old 11-30-2010, 04:34 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 205/160s/128

Height: 5'0"

Hey I know I may be a little late but just a couple of ideas.

Skechers make some kind of cute flat shoes - like ballet flats but way more substantial. I don't know what size they go up to, but when I went to Italy, I lived in them for the 2 weeks I was there. I got black ones so they were cute enough to wear out at night for dinners and stuff.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about losing while you're away. Maintaining is ok, at least that's how I feel. Not that this is advisable, but when I went to Italy I had just lost nearly 30 pounds. I basically spent my whole 2 weeks there eating pizza, bread, gelato...you name it. HOWEVER...I did HUGE amounts of walking so that's probably why I didn't gain anything at all.

In Rome, the catacombs are amazing! I'd really recommend those. If you get a chance to go to the Vatican, the museums there are really lovely. Also the collosseum is really interesting to see as well, but I'd say not so much if you don't have a huge interest in ancient Rome. There are lots of "ruins" and old places you can see for free without having to actually go inside. Even if you're not planning on shopping a lot, a visit to the shopping area is fun - Via Veneto and the Via dei Condotti are both incredible just to window-gaze!! Via Del Corso is also a fun street to shop on, and I'm pretty sure they close it off for pedestrians only at some point.
Wandering in Rome is incredible, the stuff you'll come across is amazing! Go into churches, even if they look unassuming from the outside - you will see some real beauty in the churches!

I haven't been to the other places you're going, but I hope you have a fantastic time!
rainbowstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #10  

Thank you thank you thank you!! Keep em coming!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:27 PM   #11  
Staying the Same

Go to the Louvre early, like 8 am, and see if you can't reserve tickets. It's a clusterfrack of frantic tourists and can be more frustrating than enlightening if you're caught up in long lines. Walk up the big hill on Montmartre for exercise.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 154/see ticker/114

Lots of places I've been to have great cheap markets that sell (good quality and interesting) clothes, or little shops. For example, I went to Madrid this summer and came home with a dress and two pairs of awesome "gypsy" trousers (idk what else to call them) that didn't cost me over 20 euros all together. You can buy some really nice stuff when you're there that'll also probably suit the weather better too =). Paris will probably be great for this.

My advice for food would be to stay away from touristy places. Try to find genuine restaurants or cafes that are a little off the beaten track and don't have the tacky menus lined in plastic with the coca cola umbrellas over the tables and already you're away from the tacky touristy restaurants with the out-of-the-freezer bland food. The food will taste better and be better quality, and you'll get an actual experience of what that place has to offer rather than the generic crap they feed unknowing tourists (which you could probably get at home anyways)

While in Italy, try to avoid eating pasta and pizza everyday (it is DAMN tempting though!)

And when you're in Paris, be sure to visit Rodin's house! It's so amazing, and not as packed as the Louvre, where you feel like a sheep being herded slowly around xD

I've been to Berlin, not Munich, but German food is probably similar all over, so I'll just warn that they love their potatoes and bread.
Flamethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:04 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 280/247/160

Height: 5'3"

The resident European wants to weigh in, too!

1. Munich: It IS true that (many) people there are dressed to the nines, but to be honest, I'm a 'jeans & t-shirt' person and I've never felt out of place. No reason to worry. Definitely get comfortable shoes!! I'm no expert on Munich in terms of what to do there, but it's a beautiful city and you'll definitely have to go for a beer at one of the beergardens. Stay away from the Hofbraeuhaus - it's a tourist trap full of drunk Australian college kids and Japanese tourists..haha. Instead, ask at the hotel if they can recommend a local beer place.

2. Paris: OMG, one of my all-time favorite cities!!! EVERYTHING in Paris is beautiful. If you're into modern art, check out the Centre Pompidou - it's a cool building on top of it. I agree with whomever said to get to the Louvre early in the morning. In fact, I'd get there before it opens and then race to the Mona Lisa, otherwise you'll be shuffled past her with a mere few seconds to glance at her. Try to get tickets to go on top of the Eiffel Tower when it's dark out - it's beautiful! The food....*faint*. I was in Paris for 2 weeks and NEVER had a bad meal, no matter what kind of restaurant we went to. You can make smart choices, but try not to worry too much about it. You can't say no to that bread all time!
If you're looking for a day trip (aside from Versailles), I recommend Monet's Garden at Giverny. It's a 45min train ride from Paris or you can take one of the bus tours.

3. Rome: I've been to Rome many times and if there was only one thing you could do there, I would tell you to visit the Negropolis beneath the Vatican Basilica. You get to see the excavated tomb of St. Peter (we literally saw his bones!) and the 3 or 4 layers of buildings they discovered beneath the Vatican. It was THE most amazing thing I've seen in Rome - and there are lots of amazing things . The only way to get tickets for a tour is through the Vatican's Excavations Office and you have to make them as soon as possible. They only allow a certain number of people each day, so the earlier you check availabilities, the better. Their tours are in whatever language you need and they are usually guided by one of the Vatican-based clergy (mine was a hilarious, young Australian kid). Check out this website for instructions: http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/in...040112_en.html
Other than that, I recommend getting a personal tour guide. They aren't as expensive as you think (if you want, I can find out who we used) and have the great advantage that they can get you into the museums (esp. the Vatican Museum) faster. Plus, there is so much history in Rome that they can sort through all the confusion.

Let me know if you need more tips..haha.
cincimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #14  

I love you all!!! But all these "tips" are making me SO antsy to go already!! lol... I'll definitely have to go over all of these closer to March, they all sound like great ideas!