General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-29-2010, 12:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

Default Burger King rant

I know fast food is a no no, but once in a great while, I'll factor in a sandwich and *gasp* fries into my daily plan. This happens about once, maaaaybe twice a month.

The closest place to go is a BK right around the corner. If I want anything else, I have to drive off base. This place is NOTORIOUS for having you "pull around" so they can bring your order out to you. Every. Single. TIME. The last time it happened I waited 20 minutes !!!!! for them to bring the food out. And while *most* of the people working there are awesome, there are a few people who need some lessons in customer service.

So anyway, as a "treat" to myself (it's been stressful lately,and I've been good) I packed the little one in the car and headed for the drive-thru. I had on my favorite, 10 year old, wood-glue battered sweat pants, a hoodie and my hair was sloppily pulled back into a pony tail. Definitely NOT something I actually wanted to be seen in in public. (hence the drive-thru)

When I got there, the lady taking the order was polite enough, even though the intercom was cutting out. I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich, no mayo, fries and a small diet coke. My daughter had 4 pc chicken nuggets, applesauce and milk. Sure enough, I go to pick up my order and Gruffy McGrouch-pants is working the hand out window. This is how the conversation went:

Me: Good afternoon!

Gruffy: Did you have the kid's meal?

Me: A chic--(she cuts me off)

Gruffy: I mean a kids meal with nuggets and a milk. (she's got one hand on her hip and looks annoyed)

Me: Yes.

Gruffy: You need to pull around and we'll bring your stuff to you.

Me: Oh. Could you tell me how long it will be.

Gruffy: (stares at me for a second) Do you want ketchup or something?

Me: No, no thank you, but could you tell me how long it's going to take for my order?

Gruffy: (rolls eyes AND her head, turns to another worker) Can you get this woman her kid's meal? Get me a 4 pc nuggets meal. Hurry up.

Me: I just want to know how long it's going to be until my order is finished.

Gruffy: (still ignoring me) Where's my 4 pc?

Me: Nevermind. I'll come inside and get my food.

I sauntered into the fairly busy BK in all my sweat-pants-clad glory, and asked for the manager. I told her what happened and she said she'd take care of it. I know that working fast food isn't all that wonderful. I did it for 2 years in high school. But it's a JOB. It's not THAT BAD. Why shower your own bad attitude onto everyone you meet?? I just didn't want to end up waiting another 20 minutes for my order.

Edit: AND my fries are stale and my chicken sandwich has mayo. >: (

Last edited by Pint Sized Terror; 11-29-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

And you're kind of at their mercy because if you say something back to them you have to watch they don't spit in your food LOL

I agree... if you can't handle the job, leave, there are plenty of people that need work.

But don't you find this in a lot of cases... like nurses or doctors with really bad bedside manners.... scary.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #3  

Actually, I recently told my doctor she should find another job if she hated this one so much. I got tired of all the eye rolling and heavy sighs every time I had to see her about anything, even something important like, oh, say my daughter's ear infection? LOL

My food was ready when I went inside. Like, I parked my car, walked inside and it was sitting there waiting. I have NO idea why they wanted me to pull around. Also, judging by the shocked look on all the employee's faces when I asked for a manager, I won't be going back for the simple fear that they'll remember me and spit in my food!! LOL, I shouldn't say that. The ones working the counters are generally very nice and wouldn't do that. (but I'm still not going back... the food is better off base)

And I swear some of it was probably due to race. I've noticed that there is still a lot or racism around here. I've seen the same woman (the BK chick) treat white people like she was pissed at the world, only to be perfectly nice to the next person, who happened to be her race.

Last edited by Pint Sized Terror; 11-29-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #4  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I hate burger king! I'm surprised you waited 20 minutes before! My limit would have possibly been 10 but 20?! Anyway, yeah...a lot of them are grouchy and when they are I always say "And you have a nice day too!" There's no reason for them to ba angry at others...no one is making them work there and if they don't like they should quit, not take it out on others...if only life worked that way!
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #5  

My kids and I were singing along with the radio and having fun, so by the time I realized it had been too long, 20 minutes had gone by and they were bringing it out.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #6  
Delectable Inside + Out

S/C/G: 163.3/132.8/100

Height: 5'00

Doctors make a minimal of 90k per year and that's usually the salary of a newly practicing one at that. No matter how much you may end up despising the work, you'd have to be out of your mind to quit after all the years of schooling and highrolling income. But agreed, at least be courteous to those you're supposedly serving!
Pudgebrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudgebrownie View Post
Doctors make a minimal of 90k per year and that's usually the salary of a newly practicing one at that. No matter how much you may end up despising the work, you'd have to be out of your mind to quit after all the years of schooling and highrolling income. But agreed, at least be courteous to those you're supposedly serving!
She's a civilian doctor working on a military base. She knows she can't be sued by us (protected by military something-or-other) and she knows that getting a referral to another doctor is a PITA. We're basically a captive audience. Another doctor there wasn't even reprimanded when he told my friend, who has type 1 diabetes and trouble with her weight, that she must "eat s**t sandwiches" because she hadn't lost enough weight after a month of trying. It's pitiful.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #8  
A Buxom Babe

S/C/G: 230/213/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint Sized Terror View Post
But it's a JOB. It's not THAT BAD. Why shower your own bad attitude onto everyone you meet?? (
Totally not related to anything to do with food, but I had the same experience recently. After 18 years in corporate America, I lost my job because of the fabulous economy. I was in a store one day and the woman was being insanely rude to me and I looked at her and said "I would LOVE to have a job" in other words count your blessings that you do have a job. Every situation in life isn't ideal....but you accepted THAT job....deal with it.
BuxomPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:35 PM   #9  
Delectable Inside + Out

S/C/G: 163.3/132.8/100

Height: 5'00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint Sized Terror View Post
She's a civilian doctor working on a military base. She knows she can't be sued by us (protected by military something-or-other) and she knows that getting a referral to another doctor is a PITA. We're basically a captive audience. Another doctor there wasn't even reprimanded when he told my friend, who has type 1 diabetes and trouble with her weight, that she must "eat s**t sandwiches" because she hadn't lost enough weight after a month of trying. It's pitiful.
Dunno about the military but yes it's unfortunate. My BFF was in the Marine Corp and was told she's fat! This was 6 years ago when she first enlisted and was in bootcamp. She's 5'1 and weighed like 125lbs at the time. Maybe that's not ideal but she was in excellent shape! She was already running several miles everyday prior to enlisting. That weight was muscle mass in my opinion. Still she was devasted. I still remember her telling me that they said she was overweight!

Last edited by Pudgebrownie; 11-29-2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: So yeh.. People can be TACTLESS!
Pudgebrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #10  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

I always this problem when I go to Wendy's. They ALWAYS get my order wrong, serve me cold food, and they all have bad attitudes. My hubby worked in fast food and he HATED his job, but he never took it out on the costumers.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #11  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Dunno about the military but yes it's unfortunate. My BFF was in the Marine Corp and was told she's fat! This was 6 years ago when she first enlisted and was in bootcamp. She's 5'1 and weighed like 125lbs at the time. Maybe that's not ideal but she was in excellent shape! She was already running several miles everyday prior to enlisting. That weight was muscle mass in my opinion. Still she was devasted. I still remember her telling me that they said she was overweight!
A military doc told my very skinny friend that she is overweight. But this is by the military's standards. They have a different system.

I have a love/hate thing with military & civilian doctors. My first military doc was really stupid. She never had any idea what I was talking about. She was the reason why I wanted a civilian doc when we moved here. However..she accused me of being a drug addict when I asked for something that I hadn't taken in 3 years!! So I'm back to seeing a military doc now.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #12  

Quote:
They have certain measurements they have to maintain. If her stomach was too big or something (not saying it was) they will say she needs to lose weight. Also, they do body fat percentage as well, and if that's high, they'll tell you to lose weight. 125 is well within a healthy weight range BMI wise though.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:34 PM   #13  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

i had a pretty unfortunate incident at BK myself recently. I complained to their corporate office- and it wasn't even anything that happened to ME. There was a rush at like 9pm and everyone had apparently gone on break and there was just one teenaged girl and she was quite obviously new.
She called back to someone in the kitchen to see if they could get someone off their break to help- since she was working the counter and the window and the person in the kitchen just started screaming at her to freaking deal with it and so on. I was completely appalled that I could hear her from my car and the poor girl looked like she was going to burst into tears. She was extremely apologetic to us that we had to wait at all, was very nice, and I was furious.
So I wrote and complained, and the store manager called me and I got three letters from them. No one should be treated like that, especially not in front of customers.
That said- we still go to BK all the time because according to calorie king, if you're going to have a burger the whopper with no mayo is the "healthiest" of the evils.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #14  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

Completely not BK related, but there's
been plenty of times when my blood has
boiled from someone being treated unfairly.

There's two incidences I remember.

One time, I was in 8th grade and there
were these boys picking on this one kid
in his seat. They were pushing his head
against the window glass and I got so
furious! I yelled at them to stop, made
sure they had sat down and not messed
with him anymore, and went up to the bus
driver and told her the situation.

I wasn't sure whether or not she would
do anything, so I made sure to go to
the principal. I sat with him and helped
him identify the boys who had done it.

I was SO mad! :/ I'm not sure what type
of punishment they got.

The second incident was this year.
I was in line at my school (now 10th grade)
and this girl was in front of me. Well a guy in
front of her got out of line to come to the
BACK of the line and get a drink from the
machine. He then made his way back up
to the line. He bumped into HER and spilled
his fries. On his way back to get more, he
mumbled, "I hate fat b*#&$!@."

I turned right around to him and said, "That
is a VERY rude thing to say! YOU bumped into
HER..." and many more things were said that
I cannot remember. He tried to say, "Whatever"
and "I don't care" over and over again.