Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 10:40 PM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Question Oh rochemist! Question for ya! and for the rest of ya too!

Since you are our science lady .. what is your take on multi vitamins? I've heard so much that we really don't digest enough of them to make much difference. I've noticed that I'm really low in some areas. ie. iron, vit D, folate, zinc, phosphorus, and magnesium.

the more I read .. the more I'm confused. (and it doesn't take much )

ie: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=23477

Do the rest of you take a muli vitamin? is so which one?

Thanks..
Dana
Old 03-30-2003, 11:44 PM   #2  
Catwoman

I for one don't like taking them but then I'm a natural freak. If I can get my vitimins out of my diet the good ol fashioned way then so be it. I don't believe in them I just think worrying about whether your getting enough of this or that is probably more harmfull stress wize then not getting it all in! I just eat a varied diet and a stack of vegetables now I've changed my woe.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:17 AM   #3  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I take them, just in case.

I got a huge bottle of prenatal ones @ Sam's Club for like $8. My hairdresser told me to take them rather than pay more for the Hair/Skin/Nails ones I was taking.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:47 AM   #4  
Searching

Question The Vitamin ?

This is actually more complicated than it sounds. I have read several books on vitamins and did a couple experiments on uptake in college. My father takes B vitamins because they help with pain medication uptake.

I use to prescribe to the theory of taking what my body needed so I would place about 30 vitamin pills on the counter and sniff each bottle of pills. If they smelled sweet or like nothing at all I would take them, if it smelled bad it was a no go. Actually it did work in so far as my body telling me I did not need B-12 and if I took it I would be ill. But as it sounds this is a time consuming process and after a couple of months fell by the wayside.

When I got into pharmeceutical and we started exploring some of the nutraceutical end. I will warn you alot of vitamins have filler which you pee out or are made up of unusable forms by the body.

If you want to take them be fore warned also that exact recommendations for the heavy metals are not out there, or the findings are weak. The only for sure vitamin is C and you will pee out whatever your body can't use (also the body uses only the L-form and the vitamins are all mixtures, cost of extraction is too high). Too much vitamin A, Zinc, Chromium, and the like are not a good thing. Take your folic acid if you need it its another good one.

Like Kitty though I try to get most from my diet. BFL is very balanced so I feel good about that. If I do come down with a cold or something I will take up to 10 g a day of Vitamin C and sniff my B's for uptake. So there you go. Are you more confused?

If you want 1 answer taking a multi-vitamin gives the body things it doesn't need already forund in the diet. Also the body can come to expect it and not utilize your other natural intake as efficiently.
Miss Chris

Last edited by rochemist; 03-31-2003 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:26 AM   #5  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I take a centrum and extra C every day. I also have been taking a potassium because I have been having leg cramps when I do good with my water and I have read that extra water can flush potassium from your system.

Since I am anti-veggie, I feel I really need the vitamins. Thank goodness I love fruit!!
Old 03-31-2003, 09:36 AM   #6  
Student of the Hoof

Personally I take the stress vitamins because I notice a marked difference in my ability to cope with life when I don't. (See, you think I'm flaky now!? )
Old 03-31-2003, 09:44 AM   #7  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I was also thinking about this issue yesterday and I know Prevention had a really good article about what vitamins were good to take. I will see if I can find it. When I remember to take them I take a Centrum multivitamin, a calcium supplement and a B complex.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:56 AM   #8  
Jen

I couldn't find the information I was looking for but I will pass on what I do know about vitamins.

Don't take huge doses in one shot. Your body can only absorb so much of one vitamin. For example the body can only absorb 500mg of calcium at one time. the same goes for vitamin C.

If you are taking other medications check with your pharmacist about the interaction of supplements with those medications.

Take vitamins with meals. They are easier on the stomach when you've had something to eat and some vitamins need fat in order to be absorbed.

Most vitamins are all the same, you don't need to buy chelated vitamins. Buy the kind with the least additives and fillers. Don't buy synthetic Vitamin E though, buy the natural kind.

This is a very interesting topic and I'm going to look into it more.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:26 AM   #9  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

Yes.. now I am confused..
good topic. I do try, like KittyMilk said, to try and get my vitamins from natural sources.

So much has been added to cold cereals these days - aren't they like taking a multi vitamin?

Dana
Old 03-31-2003, 11:28 AM   #10  
Searching

Run a magnet over your bowl of total. How much do you think your body can use of iron filings?

Miss Chris
Old 03-31-2003, 11:33 AM   #11  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

okay.. you are just too weird to be a girl...
Old 03-31-2003, 12:27 PM   #12  
Searching

I am going to take that as a compliment......I think! LOL!

Miss Chris
Old 03-31-2003, 01:18 PM   #13  
Jen

I was just at the supermarket and was checking out all the vitamins and various supplements. It is just amazing how many different types there are. No wonder people are so confused. There is a good web site I found www.jamiesonvitamins.com It is a company here in Canada, don't know if they sell in the US. There is a good Q&A section that might be helpful. I bought some more Calcium and some Apple Cider Vinegar capsules.
Closed Thread