Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

Default New goals for a new me

As some of you know, I'm going through a rough time right now. My husband and I are in the process of separating. I took a break from trying to lose weight, only to find that I couldn't. It had become habit, and I literally couldn't FORCE myself off my path.
Even through Thanksgiving.

I am very proud of myself. I officially consider my weight loss/get fit plan an actual lifestyle now.

Because I'm going to be living on my own, I have to get a job for the first time in 6 years. This is a little frightening! I haven't gone to college, and the only jobs I can find are for waitressing or factory work for minimum wage or less. I am far from the dreams of becoming a police officer, or so I thought.

First things first, I must get into shape. Most police academies have minimum physical fitness requirements which I must pass. It includes a minimum number of push ups, sit ups and a good time on a mile and a half run. Run. As in the very thing I can't do right now. Scratch that, the very thing I am struggling with. I'm still having trouble with my ankle, but I'm slowly and surely going to work it out. The town I want to move to has a wonderful police department and throughout the year accept applications. My goals are to meet the minimum physical requirements for police academy, saving up money to go during the process, and go. I hope to be a police officer, or at least in official training, this time next year.

Thank you all for your support with my weight loss AND my personal issues.

AND... I'm down to 152lbs even with Thanksgiving dinner.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #2  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

Congrats! I too want to become a policewoman.
I hope someday you can achieve your dream.

Last edited by Ciao; 11-27-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Ah, you'll be fine. Once upon a time I wanted to do the same thing and while it took me 2 years, I passed the physicals, even had a 6 pack abs! Not only that, I was #1 at the obstacle course. Not bad for a formerly chunky girl who was addicted to Wendys.

I decided not to continue for other reasons but I still work for the PD in a civilian position, if you have any q's about the job or physical tests just give me a shout, I've been through all the exams (written + physical), I've worked in policing for 6 years
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:28 PM   #4  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Oh wow. I'm completely amazed and inspired by the fact that you couldn't go off plan even trying! LOL! How cool is that?! And I would say that now is exactly the right time for you to be taking this on full force. It sounds like you already figured that out.

Good luck back in the work force while you work toward such a noble goal.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:32 PM   #5  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

One thing you might look into as far as employment (and is in a related field) why not see if there are any openings in the PD for dispatchers? Do you have a local college or university close?, they also have their own PD's and in need of dispatchers. I say this as a means of income, while you are getting into shape. Hope everything will work out for you

Last edited by islandchick1; 11-27-2010 at 08:33 PM.
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

I'll definitely be getting a job "in the mean time" so I have money coming in. Hubby has to pay post-separation pay, as well as child support. I am going to see a lawyer this coming week to get that settled.

Dispatch would be ideal, but there aren't any openings that I'm aware of. That doesn't mean one won't come up though. Dispatching is hard, and either people are with it forever or quit after a short time, from what I've experienced. (I was a 911/Fire/Police/EMS/city utilities dispatcher for a year, had to quit because of personal issues, namely my mom being arrested so much, lol) I do love dispatch, but only because it's that much closer to being an officer.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

^^I'm a dispatcher (and deal with my dad being arrested a lot, lol, what a pain eh?), the openings for full time are rarely posted because of union/city delays but they are always hiring for part-timers... you could give it a shot for just a while to show some interest in the field? It's always good to get to know people in the field (I don't know what NC is like but here in Canada, you work in the police station with the same patrol shift for years on end)
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:28 PM   #8  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

You go girl!

Whatever job you have to take in the meantime is only a stepping stone to your ultimate goal.

Does your new town have a volunteer fire dept? Joining that will be good for your ultimate goal. What about Ambulance service? It does take some training but also good for your ultimate goal.

Certified Nursing Aids are usually in demand.

Waiting tables is hard work, and the min wage is crap, but if you get in a good place the tips can more than make up for it.

I am biased and love police people, my oldest son is a Nebraska State Patrolman, DOT officer and SWAT sniper. Love that kid. They are a bit of a warped group, in a good way, and they love their job!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:50 PM   #9  

what an awsome goal!
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote