Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Default OMGosh!! REAL Sweet Potatoes!

I am making a new recipe for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow. It is a sweet potato souffle....not very healthy, but sounds delicious for T-giving. It calls for boiling and mashing peeled and cubed sweet potatoes. I am ashamed to admit that I have NEVER eaten a fresh sweet potato. We just always bought the canned kind and added butter, brown sugar and marshmallows.

I went ahead and boiled and mashed the potatoes tonight and will put the souffle together tomorrow. I tasted the potatoes and I could not believe how good they were!! Just cooked plain in slightly salted water they were so yummy!! I can't wait now to make a baked sweet potato or mashed.

Just thought I would share the simple pleasure I discovered by using a fresh, whole ingredient. I'm learning....
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:28 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I never knew sweet potatoes came in a can. Are they pureed like pureed pumpkin in the can?

Oh and we always just had baked sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving. I've heard of the marshmallow monstrosity but I've never seen it. (I hate marshmallows)
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:32 PM   #3  

Nelie, I honestly don't know how they are cooked. They seem to be boiled (whole or chunked) in a sweet syrup of some kind. They may be labelled as yams, but I consider them the same thing. They taste NOTHING like the ones I made tonight.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Oh I get kind of lost in the canned veggie aisle. I know about pureed pumpkin, canned green beans, canned beans, canned tomatoes and canned artichokes. That is pretty much the extent of my canned experience

I am glad you liked the sweet potatoes though. And yes you should definitely try them. Sometimes I just throw one in the microwave for a few minutes for a quick snack.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:49 PM   #5  

Oh, they'll be on my menu soon! But I'll make them healthier than I am going to make them tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:34 AM   #6  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

roast them in the oven with some olive oil, and then drizzle a balsamic vinegar reduction over them. You will think you have died and gone to heaven.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:57 AM   #7  
Yay for 2nd chances!

S/C/G: 235/needs a new scale/135

Height: 5'7"

I roast mine in the oven with a tad of sea salt and olive oil then sprinkle them liberally with splenda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Roast them at 425 degrees untill they are done. So very very good and very very good for you
Aiesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:43 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Sweet potatoes are wonderful, one of my all-time favorite things to eat. I like them roasted, mashed, baked as fries, made into gnocchi, in soups, etc. So many things to do with them; they're really versatile.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:54 AM   #9  
banned

They're yummy baked with a sprinkle of cinnamon, but the only way my family eats them is baked, mashed, and covered with raisins and marshmallows. Every Thanksgiving and Christmas ever since I could remember. My Grandmother made it too, so my Dad is quite fond of it.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:36 AM   #10  

My family thought they hated sweet potatoes, because my grandma always made that marshmallow monstrosity. One Thanksgiving I brought a casserole to ease them into sweet potatoes, it's mashed sweet potatoes with a bit of soy milk and vanilla, topped with a crunchy oatmeal and brown sugar topping. I took the original recipe and doubled the sweet potatoes and halved the topping. They love it so much, I now take it to Thanksgiving every year. And the best part is they've started eating sweet potatoes during the year, without smothering them in sugar. YAY!

I actually prefer my sweet potatoes to be in a savory dish, rather than a sweet one. Sweet potatoes with cumin and chipotle, with black beans, tomatoes, and quinoa is a staple in my house.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #11  
In it 4 the long haul

S/C/G: 161/see ticker/120

Height: 5'1 1/2"

My kids love baked sweet potatoes. I cook them just like a baked potato. They just put a bit of butter on them and then eat them. Had some today with dinner. Yum Yum.
want2bfit4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #12  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

I LOVE sweet potatoes!!!

- Baked sweet potato "fries" with paprika and some chili powder
- Mashed sweet potatoes
- Baked sweet potato
- Sliced fairly thin (1/4 of an inch) and sauteed in a few drops of olive oil with turmeric, paprika, and salt and pepper...this was kind of a random experiment, but it's been added to the regular rotation.

I like the texture and taste better than regular potatoes. And for some reason the orange color really pleases me, hehe. I'd be lying if I said I didn't still like candied yams, but the real fresh things are better
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:03 AM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I never, ever understood the need to add butter or sugar to a sweet potato. They are so creamy and tasty on its own. One of natures' finest foods!

Last edited by rockinrobin; 11-26-2010 at 08:03 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:50 AM   #14  
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacilli View Post
My family thought they hated sweet potatoes, because my grandma always made that marshmallow monstrosity. One Thanksgiving I brought a casserole to ease them into sweet potatoes, it's mashed sweet potatoes with a bit of soy milk and vanilla, topped with a crunchy oatmeal and brown sugar topping. I took the original recipe and doubled the sweet potatoes and halved the topping. They love it so much, I now take it to Thanksgiving every year. And the best part is they've started eating sweet potatoes during the year, without smothering them in sugar. YAY!

I actually prefer my sweet potatoes to be in a savory dish, rather than a sweet one. Sweet potatoes with cumin and chipotle, with black beans, tomatoes, and quinoa is a staple in my house.
Both of those dishes sound wonderful.
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:06 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

I always thought I hated sweet potatoes when my only exposure to them was of them being dumped in with a ridiculous amount of brown sugar and swimming in a vat of butter(for Thanksgiving). Ick.
I definitely prefer them plain or in savory dishes.

Oh, anyone who likes the regular orange sweet potatoes should definitely try purple sweet potatoes. The color is amazing and they have an even higher concentration of antioxidants than orange sweet potatoes do.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote