Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 142/139/118

Height: 5' 2"

Default Any Cyclists Out There?

Hi All,

My favorite physical activity is riding my bicycle. I was never an "athlete" until I got into cycling about five years ago. My first year I rode 6000 miles, and since then about 4500 miles a year.

I gained about twenty pounds over a couple years, and now want to lose it, in part to feel better on the bike. I have lost my edge. It is frustrating.

I have never figured out how to eat as an athlete though. I know nutrition basics, but am not sure how to eat and drink on long rides to sustain my effort and not eat too much sugar. What do other's do?

I am also trying to figure out how to ride through the winter. I have gotten better winter gear, but still need to figure out how to keep my hands warm.

Anyway, would love to connect to any other cyclists in the community.
hirakukibou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

I'm not a "cyclist" as I've just recently begun riding for any distance, but I found when I was training for my first sprint triathlon that higher amounts of protein sustained me longer. In particular, I drank a protein drink after and ate more lean protein a few hours before my brick workouts.
For your hands, are hand warmers an option? Good luck!
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'3

*raises hand*

I dont do it for.. "athletics" I guess just more because I have degenerative joint disease and it seems to ease the pain and I cant run..

For winter.. I have a stationary. But what I want is a kit to convert my bike to a stationary for the winter. It is just to cold here in the winter to ride

I dont think I have changed my diet.. Just counted calories..

Sorry if I am not much help
Princess Tiefling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

DH got me the inside rack for the winter, love it... I should get him to install it soon ... As for nutrition, keep it as clean as possible, I agree that protein keeps me going longer too, for any sports I find protein helps...I eat before going out, I'm never gone long enough to need foods during a ride, and when I come back I eat a portion of carb and protein again... lots of water of course... When I have gone out for a few hours a sports drink has helped, don't drink too many of those they are laden with calories and sodium...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:30 AM   #5  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

I am not a cyclist per se, but I do love to cycle. I have an indoor stationary bike, and I am starting to cycle at the gym to build up my mileage. I'm hoping to do part of the Trans Canada trail next spring/summer with my friend. We want to do 200km, but broken into 4 50kms each day. I just hope that riding on a stationary cycle is somewhat like riding a real bike outdoors.

Congrats on all the mileage that you have cycled, hirakukibou! That's awesome! I was thinking you can get some of those hand warmer things that you put inside your mitts or gloves to keep warm. I know some kids that got me to try them, and they work for quite awhile.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:19 AM   #6  

Thanks for all your replies and tips on eating.

Jojo -- Your cycling goals sound great! Although I do think that training inside helps build muscles and endurance, riding outside, on real terrain with hills and such is quite different. However, building general fitness makes a difference on the bike. I am figuring out how to keep my fitness during this winter -- I will do some winter riding, some on the trainer (stationary bike) if I can stand it, and then weights and yoga. We will see how it goes. I actually do a one day 125 mile ride for AIDS charity each year. This is the longest I have ridden in one day. Maybe next year I will do a double century (200 miles in a day). We will see. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:24 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I bike. I haven't done much winter biking (I'm in Mass too) because of darkness and cold but I love to go in the spring and summer. I did the Cape Cod Rail Trail last summer, 48 miles round trip, with a short stop at the beach to swim in my biking clothes in the middle. And in the summer I bike to the beach for a swim after work most days.

I found that my yoga helped my biking - made my core and wrists stronger so that biking was more comfortable.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:32 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

And on long rides (although not 150 miles!) I eat a Probar and a sandwich. The key for me seems to be eating a larger breakfast, and then eating a few hundred calories at a time through out the day before I get hungry otherwise I just get miserable. The Probars are good because they are about 380 calories, so you can just take small bites here and there and your getting a bunch of calories without having to have too much in your stomach.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:55 AM   #9  

Seagirl -- The AIDS ride I do goes on the Cape Cod Railtrail and I have also ridden it with a close friend of mine that lives on the Cape. It is beautiful. I also find that yoga helps with the cycling -- both in terms of core strength and flexibility.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #10  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

On my training rides for Ironman we took in about 275 calories an hour. Some people need a bit more... but it's not a bad place to start from. In my case that was a combo of sports drink calories and solids (Clif Bar etc)

I got in about 2400 miles this year which probably isn't as much as I should have done in my training but not bad considering last year I think I did 600 miles. Big Jump! I did a few centuries (for the first time)
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote