General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #1  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Default Thanksgiving - Turkey Donations

This year, with the economy being what it is, and turkey prices just a bit higher than last year, Thanksgiving turkey donations are WAY down at food banks across the country. Those turkeys are used both for Thanksgiving meals in shelters and facilities, and to pass out in holiday food boxes to those who can't afford the meal on their own. Unfortunately, the slow economy has led to a major downturn in donations, even as the need has gone way up.

I just purchased two turkeys, which were both on sale for less than 7 dollars each. I know that times are tight for everyone, but if you do have 10 dollars to spare, consider finding a local turkey drive and purchasing an extra turkey when you do your holiday shopping. That small purchase will put food on the table for someone who really needs it and will also help to remind you of all that you have to be thankful for.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #2  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

We give food baskets at church, for those requested, at Easter, Christmas and Thanksgiving. Usually 30-40 is the need....

this year we had to stop the list when it got to a little over 100....the youth director in charge said it could easily top 200.....

I take food on a weekly basis...easy to pick up $5-10+ of stuff on sale and drop the bag off on the way to service... there is a great need....usually I buy pasta and sauce or soups....

turkeys at our Fresh and Easy were .37 a pound this past week....easy to take 3 turkeys for under $25.....

a little effort from a few of people goes a long way to brighten a family's day....

but it is a need weekly/every day too....

Last edited by EZMONEY; 11-21-2010 at 09:56 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
but it is a weekly/every day thing too....
Definitely! The shelter in my town is currently most in need of warm things (hats, gloves, etc), so I'm working on knitting and sewing right now, while thinking warm thoughts.

Sometimes, I think people don't remember that the need is there, and turkey drives can be a great opening to realizing the need in your community (and hopefully, deciding to fill that need year round, but hey, a turkey is a great start).
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

That's a really nice reminder, Mandalinn - I think I will do so.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

After recently talking to a former recipient of food bank foods, she said that one thing they always looked forward to was peanut butter and it was hard to come by. I recently looked at one of the local food banks wish list and sure enough, it included peanut butter.

I printed off their wish list and I'm looking to buy groceries regularly and also recently talked to a couple other people about it too and they seemed interested.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:01 AM   #6  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

A woman I talked with said it was really hard to make good healthy choices for herself and her child when using the food bank. Although they were happy to have food she would have liked some healthier choices. Now I make the same purchases for donation that I make for my household.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #7  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
A woman I talked with said it was really hard to make good healthy choices for herself and her child when using the food bank. Although they were happy to have food she would have liked some healthier choices. Now I make the same purchases for donation that I make for my household.
This is a hard decision sometimes....does one buy more pasta/spaghetti-o's/helper boxes for $X or pay less $ for healthier choices and help less people?

I like to buy the "chunky" soups for the church pantry because they are more like a meal....but I also do buy some of the "select harvest" or the garden vegetable flavors for those that come in and are allowed to "choose" a dinner for themselves/family from the shelves in the kitchen.

As far as peanut butter goes too Nelie, not too long ago Albertsons was selling Peter Pan for $1 a jar...I bought 20 for church....

Seriously, the more you look for good deals on food for those in need....use the coupons....and make the effort to donate it....

it becomes such an easy thing to do....not too big a hurt a little each week/month...but if you look back at the end of the year....well....

you know you did something good for some family somewhere....and they don't even know your name....

and that is the best part!
Old 11-24-2010, 12:36 PM   #8  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

BUMP

I read in the paper this morning that one of our local Salvation Army offices has had requests triple for Christmas baskets since last year....from 1,000 to 3,000......and it isn't even Thanksgiving....

Some are not as fortunate as others....

a little help can make BIG differences!

Have a great Thanksgiving.... for all of us United States folks!
Old 11-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #9  
I can dream, can't I?

I just saw gloves and hats for $1.00 and $2.00 in the ads today. I plan to find a place to donate and go buy quite a few of each. The adults in our family decided not to exchange gifts this year, but donate something. These plus some warm blankets are on my list to buy and donate.

There are several food drives in our area every year so we always buy extra peanut butter when it is on sale. That plus tuna and soup are my standard donations. Also boxes of pasta and rice.
suetalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #10  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Our grocery store has a points reward system for grocery buying, we redeem them at Thanksgiving and donate the turkeys to a local food shelter.

Christmas is on the way too, and canned/boxed groceries are always a great idea. As well as gently used coats, sweaters.

I personally think it's a great time to practice patience and kind words to everyone I can, this can be a joyful time of year, and a stressful time of year, esp now that economics for so many is so tough. Peace.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

One reason I find difficulty with exchanging gifts is that I have a lot of good things in my life that others don't have. I have a roof over my head, food to eat, clothes to wear, etc. Many people don't have that.

Charities are also struggling majorly this year so I'd definitely give to a charity, don't give to me.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #12  
I can dream, can't I?

I agree nelie...Sometimes we forget how fortunate we are to just be warm and have a tummy full.
Winter is especially hard for most in my region, so we need to give more.
suetalks is offline   Reply With Quote