Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/115

Height: 4'10"

Default The semantics of eating

I was reading through some posts yesterday, and came across a post that literally made me drop my jaw and say, OMG. The way it was worded made me realise something. I have always said that I got heavy because I love food. But in that instant, I realised that this was a complete falsehood. It is true that I love food, but I didnt get big because I love food. I got big because I loved eating. A 6 ounce steak? Perish the thought. It would be gone too quick. I wanted to keep eating. Gimme a 12 oz one. 1/2 cup of rice? Oh no way. Gimme a cup and a half. I want it to last.

Without even realising what I was doing, as I have worked on my weight loss, I have taught myself to only love the food, and not the eating of it. I can love a 4 oz steak now, with as much enjoyment as a 12 oz. I can love 1/2 cup of ice cream, and not feel that the experience was too short.
Now, if anyone asks me, I can look at them and honestly say that I got thin by loving food.
TornadoSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

That is so cool! Lots to ponder. I love to eat ,too. And I love food.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 288/190/140

Height: 5 ft 7

I would love to hear how you managed to change your attitude about the 4oz steak....because I am still struggling with the "It's gone too fast!" mentality.
callmeKaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

The love of eating is what made me fat too. I always want the biggest piece of something, or two candy bars instead of just one. I'm am identical to you with the steak. I don't just want to eat good stuff, I want large quantities of it. If I didn't get the biggest piece, or the extra candy bar, I almost had a panicky feeling because the satisfaction wasn't going to last as long.

I'm working on it. I think it will take a lot of practice and time to change that habit of always wanting as much as I can get my hands on. I think I can change this behavior though. Like you, the realization of what I was doing is a huge step in the right direction.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #5  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I'm totally with you, OP! I love to eat. I love how it tastes, feels, smells - all of it. I don't want it to end, either. That's my issue.

I'm working on teaching myself that yes, I can have "bad" foods, too, but just eat what I REALLY want of them, not what my cravings say I want. And I can always have more later; no need to eat it all right now.

I eat the more unhealthy stuff slower now. I savor the taste and feel and smell. I eat healthy stuff with regular bites, but things like cheesecake I take my time with.

I'm learning to strike a balance, I guess.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeKaty View Post
I would love to hear how you managed to change your attitude about the 4oz steak....because I am still struggling with the "It's gone too fast!" mentality.
I think it helps to think of it as "staying within your budget". I have a calorie budget that I must adhere to in order to stay at my optimal. I desire greatly to be my best and that means I have to do my best.

For me, I do indeed like volume, so that's why I opt for larger quantities of less calorie dense food.

Quote:
It is true that I love food, but I didnt get big because I love food. I got big because I loved eating.
^^ I really get and like this. ^^
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I love to be full. Sated. Replete. Like I had all that I wanted. The aftermath of a good meal is like the aftermath of good sex. It's the one thing I can't really replicate--even pounds and pounds of veggies don't do it--and I do miss it. But I can live with it. I'd rather be thin.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 129.4/ticker/115

Height: 4'11''

Oooh yes, I totally know what you mean.

Your new outlook is going to be so successful for you in the long run. This is why there aren't nearly as many morbidly people in Europe.... they eat full fat Brie, drink lots of wine, and do NOT consume aspartame-laden yogurt. The reason they aren't nearly as overweight is because their portions are much smaller.

It's a hard lesson for me to learn, too. Lately the idea of staying on plan in order to enjoy "bad" foods has been working, especially when I put it together with consuming normal amounts of these foods--not going crazy and having a ton because I think I'll never get enough/have it again.

Do you all struggle with your eating speeds, too? I have to consciously fight to make myself sit in the chair and wait to feel if I'm full before going for more.

Either way, sounds like we're all on the right track!
FatPantsSkinnyJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:49 PM   #9  

Height: 5'5

I used to think it was love of food. But I realized it was obsession not love. Half the crap I shove in my mouth I don't even like let alone want.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #10  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Height: 5'4"

I used to eat the same way too, huuuge portions because I wanted it to last. Now I just eat slower so I can actually taste the food AND it lasts awhile, so I'm satisfied, but the portions aren't insane.
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/115

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPantsSkinnyJeans View Post

Do you all struggle with your eating speeds, too? I have to consciously fight to make myself sit in the chair and wait to feel if I'm full before going for more.
The speed thing is a big part of it I think. It's not the end all and be all answer, but eating slower does make a BIG difference. I very consciously make myself eat way slower than I used to. I am insane for peanut butter and chocolate, even the processed stuff. heh..For mother's day, my husband gave me a pack of reeses. I gave one to my son, and proceeded to eat the other. I think it was the slowest eaten peanut butter cup EVER.
TornadoSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I made an amazing mushroom soup tonight. But, after reading this thread and realizing that I am full, I put the rest of it in the fridge. It will be there tomorrow when I come in from a hike. And it will probably taste better, too. And I'll go to bed with a normal full stomach not one that makes me toss and turn.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

It is this very topic that brought me to the realization that the only way I could ever get this weight off and keep it off was through calorie counting and adhering to a budget. Calorie counting is built in portion control. Something I greatly need.

Intuitive eating? I don't think soooo.

Back in the day I was overfeeding myself. There's eating and then there's' over eating. I ate recklessly, without any thought to the consequences. I don't drive recklessly, I don't run my household recklessly, I didn't raise my children recklessly; it was time to stop eating recklessly.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:00 PM   #14  
no gravity!

S/C/G: 301.5/185/150

Height: 5'6"

That's really interesting. I hadn't really put much thought into the difference between the two. It makes me think of when I go to France. I always eat out when I visit but I find that I literally cannot eat as much as I want. The food is delicious but it's too rich and if I ate as much of their food as I do our food I would be truly ill. I always look at my half full plate of food there and go "ugh, what a waste" or "man, I wish I could keep going." It is the sensation of eating and, maybe to a point, feeling like you want to have LOTS of good things at your disposal.
moon safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:36 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Like moon safari, I hadn't realized the difference, but yeah, there's totally a difference! I need to think about this for myself.

I love food but I don't know if I overate because I loved eating.

Thanks for saying this!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote