General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Default Need help picking new cell phone!

I lost my cell phone about 6 weeks ago - I was way overdue for an upgrade, but I had not been motivated enough to get one. Old phone was a fairly standard LG flip phone - not too fancy but worked fine for texting, calling, and photographing.

I went three weeks ago to get a new one, and I ended up with the Samsung Reality which the Verizon rep said I would love. I am paying 9.99 a month for email, limited internet, Facebook etc. It's a touch screen with a slide out key board.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cel...SCH-U820ZKAVZW

Well, I have a few issues with it - I can't quite master the touch screen - I might be trying to scroll and yet I accidentally press something I don't want which pops up... annoying. Is it me... or the phone? Hmm...

The camera has a delay, so every picture I've taken is bad - missed shot.

I haven't taken the time to figure out the email or other features.

I have one week left to decide if I want to trade it for something else... I really can't decide. Should I give the Reality more of a chance or go for something else?

Who has a phone you love? What do you recommend? Should I take the plunge for a full smart phone even though I don't really NEED it? What to do?

By the way, I am 42, no kids-- I do text a fair amount, and of course it would be fun to be able to check Facebook and get on the internet now and then (though I don't need to really). One of my high school students told me it was a teenager phone and I need to get an adult phone - what would that be? She said a blackberry - funny.

So, any recommendations or reviews would be welcome! I really want to get something I'll like, as I'll have it two years (Verizon contract) Thanks a bunch.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I can't say enough about the iPhone. I LOVE it. I heard that it's going to be available on Verizon come January but I could be wrong....maybe sooner? I used to have the Blackberry, but I can't compare it to the iPhone. The camera on it is great quality...text is awesome.....all features are so user friendly. I have Facebook on there and I also have a program called Lose It where I track my calories and exercise. It's really great.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 279/272/175

Height: 5'9"

iPhone lol
(just teasing lol)

i have an htc hd2, through tmobile.
i love it.

it has a large screen, full touch screen and this is how i use the internet

ok, blackberrys are ok, i had one. but they are pretty much falling to the button smartphone wise.
iphones are ok, just not a fan of supporting apple lol.

my husband loves any htc phone.
if i remember correctly verizon just came out with the windows phone (which all htc phones run Windows, like most computers, also easy to link your phone and computer )

i will tell you my hd2 has an awesome camera on it and hd display.

keep in mind smartphone and Android are different.
androids are like a normal phone with features but no os (operating system)
smartphones have os like Windows.

but you should just go in store and ask to play with a sample phone to see if you like it.
everyone is different
couponmom85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 375/365/225

Height: 6'0

I have a Samsung touchscreen and I wish I had gotten something different. The touchscreen is picky, it doesn't always notice my touch and the buttons on the Qwerty keypad are all smooshed together and I often type wrong. (I'm always hitting z instead of s... looks like I'm trying to type in slang or something. lol)

Prior to this phone I had a Blackberry which I loved. It made playing on Facebook easier, e-mailing and texting was a breeze, and surfing the net was easy. But for me I felt I was paying to much just for those few things. I just wasn't using it to it's potential or what I thought it was probably made for.

But before the Samsung and the Blackberry I was a diehard LG fan. I never once had an LG I didn't like. But for some reason I had to jump on the BB bandwagon and then I was being cheap. lol

My brother has an HTC Evo and absolutely adores it. He is always on it doing something. (Plus Andriod phones have great free apps)

In the end, I think you should go to your local cell store and look at the phones with an hands on approach. I am all about touch and feel and I regret not touching and feeling this Samsung I have.

Best of luck on finding a phone that's just right for you!
thealbino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:50 PM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

I love, love, love, love my Crackberry.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealbino1 View Post
I have a Samsung touchscreen and I wish I had gotten something different. The touchscreen is picky, it doesn't always notice my touch and the buttons on the Qwerty keypad are all smooshed together and I often type wrong. (I'm always hitting z instead of s... looks like I'm trying to type in slang or something. lol)
n I had to jump on the BB bandwagon and then I was being cheap. lol
Thanks so much for your feedback - do you also have the Samsung Reality?
Old 11-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #7  

Thanks, everyone!! I'm still torn. I will research a bit more - I have until Nov 26 to return the Samsung Reality.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:07 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 375/365/225

Height: 6'0

What I have is called Samsung Messanger Touch. What I always look for in a phone is one that I can do lots of texting with and it to play music- my only 2 true requirements past making phone calls. lol It serves those purposes pretty well, but I still am not satisfied with the touchscreen or keyboard.
I only paid $49.99 after the mail-in rebate, so maybe a model that is worth more will prove to be more reliable for someone else.

Best of luck with the phone, let us know what you end up with.
thealbino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:27 AM   #9  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

I love my crackberry but I plan on upgrading to the samsung epic. I'm a gadget girl and that phone is calling for me. Pun definately intended.

Last edited by jigglefree; 11-21-2010 at 06:28 AM.
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:12 AM   #10  
Yay for 2nd chances!

S/C/G: 235/needs a new scale/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by couponmom85 View Post
iPhone lol
(just teasing lol)

keep in mind smartphone and Android are different.
androids are like a normal phone with features but no os (operating system)
smartphones have os like Windows.

but you should just go in store and ask to play with a sample phone to see if you like it.
everyone is different
Sorry I have to burst your bubble, but Android IS the OS. Android is Google's mobile operating system. It also happens to be an opensource operating system. This means companies do not have to "licence" it to use it. That is why there are SO many different brands of Android phones out there. Also ALL phones, smart phones or not, have an OS on them. They couldn't boot (turn on and become operational) with out it. Most have a proprietary OS like the Iphone, Blackberries, and Palm. To my knowledge Android is the only opensource mobile OS out there. Apps have to be coded to work on android's OS, just like they have to on any other mobile platform out there. Sorry about the rant but the ubergeek in me had to speak up. I'm also a Software engineer so I know a thing or two about operating systems

As far as phones go. I LOVE my Motorola Droid. I've had an Iphone, blackberry, and a palm treo, the droid is my favorite. They are definitely worth looking at.

The go play with the phones is very very good advice though. I highly suggest it.
Aiesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:28 AM   #11  

Height: 5'11"

I have a motorola Droid and also love it. It's not a new fancy version; I got it in February. I haven't had a bit of trouble with it and I love the real keyboard that slides out. I have trouble with virtual (touch screen) keyboards; I can never hit the right area on the screen. It's a killer to pay for the data plan, though. I love having it, just don't like paying for it!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #12  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

i just got the samsung galaxy note 2. it's a 5 inch display phone. love it very much. however if you don't want a phone that big then iphone 5 or samsing galaxy s3 is the way to go.

but i highly recommend the galaxy note 2.
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

I don't like the keys on a blackberry. They're so close together that I have a hard time typing on them.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #14  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Apple, Apple, and wait........Apple.

No one NEEDS a smart phone. I didn't NEED the first iphone, but I got it and was hooked. I can't imagine going anywhere without it now. The operating system on it and the ipad are so easy and intuitive that babies can use it - really.

I've never heard one person say they regretted buying an iphone and wished they had purchased a droid, however I have heard the opposite.

Last edited by Vex; 12-03-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #15  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

I currently have an iPhone 3GS. My next phone will be a flip phone with no bells and whistles.

Why?

Because I'm tired of paying $90 a month for the least expensive Smartphone package available through AT&T. (We don't have Verizon where I live)

Because I've realized that Apple *owns* me now for music, apps, etc. and I want to limit that ownership. I don't want to be stuck buying Apple products for the rest of my life just so I can continue to enjoy the music and apps I've invested in already.

So if it were me, I'd get another flip phone and avoid at all costs the Smartphone trap. Because whether you go Apple or Android, it's a trap.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote