South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:13 AM   #1  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Default SBD NSV's

As we are coming into another holiday season it's sometimes good to look at some of the other rewards which come as a direct result of our changing our way of eating into a healthy and sustainable lifestyle. Non Scale Victories.

I had a great moment this morning! I was folding clothes right from the dryer before I really woke up. There were several t-shirts.....

One, I knew was mine. It is beautiful purple and was a gift from DH to me in 2002 to commerate our annual wooden boat festival in Alaska. When he gave it to me, he was disappointed that it didn't fit. He had "bought the biggest one they had." I "cheerfully" told him I would save it because it would fit me someday. I wore it yesterday and it is too big! DH noticed...and still remembered, too. He commented that it didn't fit before and now it was too big. (I'll wear it anyway!)

The second t-shirt I pulled out.....I really had to look to decide if it was Kirk's or mine....It was his....but I really had to think for a moment and it actually looked like it might fit. In previous years there was absolutely no doubt as to which was mine and which was his!

I'm in a "maintenance" phase...taking it one day at a time and not losing right now, but I feel great! Having energy to run up and down the stairs at our house, when I used to struggle with my knees and back...being able to even get on a bicycle to get 3 blocks downtown...all a direct result of sticking close to plan for 1-1/2 years now.

I'm grateful to have found a WOE which works!

Do you have an NSV to help motivate you to stick close to plan through the holidays? Share...even small ones count...we all start somewhere.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #2  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

That is awesome, girl! I'll bet your husband is so happy to see you wearing that!

My biggest NSV that I can pinpoint right now (beyond all of the health and energy effects) is that my husband can pick me up. He could always pick me up, even at my highest, but now, I don't try to stop him and I'm not embarrassed by it. He picked me up last night and swung me around. This is the first time, I think ever, in our relationship that I weigh less than he does.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/150/145

Height: 5'7"

I went on a park trail hike last year, and I remember how out of breath and un-fun the whole experience was. I went on this same hike a few weeks ago, and ran it. Up and down the trails, leaping over roots, ducking branches, keeping up with the dogs. And I felt I could go on forever. I still hardly believe it. Running can be fun!
4xcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #4  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Mine is just a general feeling of good. Sure there are things like pants fitting and the shoe collection that has sat unworn for the last six months (at least) but mostly, its just the general feeling of healthy.

I think though that my BIGGEST NSV is the change in my kids. They are all teenagersish (the youngest being 12) and two of the four of them has/had some weight to lose. I totally changed my thinking and sort of forced them to change too. My daughter (who is a natural athlete and has never been "fat" but had some pounds to tone up and lose) is 16 and feels fantastic about herself. For the first time EVER she is not embarrassed of what she looks like. She has lost 22lbs. My son who is 12 for sure had some weight to lose sadly, and he has lost 30 lbs. His whole life and attitude has changed. Both of them are super cute and get complimented daily on how super cute they are, but..with the extra weight they tended to be less outgoing with strangers and not as quick to jump in and do things. In the last 3 months I have seen that change. And it feels good. The best part of all of that, is that they have no desire at all to go back to how things were before. They are spending the week with their dad for the holiday and both have expressed concern over how they are going to stick to the changes. Their dad and step mom have absolutely no desire to eat healthy.

So yeah, my kids are my biggest and best NSV
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

This last weekend was my birthday. Normally, in my head, my birthday is a splurge worthy day where I'm willing to go off plan. This time- no. I didn't feel the need to. And I'm even back on phase one! Now, I did splurge with an off plan slice of cheesecake from Cheesecake factory- but I got sugar free and didn't eat the crust.

I ate out five times in three days, and I stayed perfectly on plan each time.

I went to the movie theater and didn't eat the popcorn. I planned a dinner party for friends and served phase one foods.

My biggest NSV is that this has finally clicked as a lifestyle for me. I'm no longer dreaming about going off plan (not even for Thanksgiving!) and I have lost my big desire to "splurge" and treat myself with things other than weightloss.

And, on my birthday this year, I bought pants that were two sizes smaller than the pants I bought on my birthday last year.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #6  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I've been following SBD for 3 years now. Some of my favorite, and unexpected, NSVs:
  • I can walk up any staircase or hill and carry-on a conversation at the top.
  • I have tons more energy
  • My moods are even, no more crazy swings!
  • I love catching a glimpse of myself in windows
  • I have visible muscles

Clothes shopping never gets old. I can pull something off the rack and not buy it because I don't like the way it looks, but it almost always fits. I was always trying things on that didn't fit and blaming the sizing.

Thanks Debbie, this is a great reminder of why I need to stick with this WOL. Some days I want to eat crap and just count calories but I know SB is so much more than that and I will lose some of the benefits if I make the wrong food choices.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:52 AM   #7  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Cyndi, I was just thinking the other day how happy I was that I wasn't in the largest size in a department anymore. If something was too small, I could go up a size -- or three!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Great blog Debbie! I can feel my collarbones and I am down 4 sizes!
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #9  
Queen of shifting minds

Height: 5'6-1/2"

Awesome, you guys!!!!

I picked something to wear right out of my closet and was able to leave the house without changing 10 times because it feels too tight, oh, and the dress I am wearing is one that had been way too small
BelovedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #10  
Rebelwithacause

S/C/G: 300/249/175

Height: 6'

Great thread. Even though it hurts to be so honest, I'm proud to say. I can read the scale now without bending forward over my stomach. I can see my toes when just standing. I no longer have to wear pads because I couldn't hold my pee. I don't cringe and worry if I will fit when my DH selects a booth rather than table and chairs at a restaurant. I can go in a grocery store and shop and leave without ever buying anything off plan for me (still do for DH). I conquered "the hill" which feels so good even though I hate to exercise. I can fit in the chair at the beauty shop. My clothes are not so tight however because of my height (6') it's going to take a while for the sizes to change.

Last edited by TallandThin; 11-19-2010 at 05:51 PM.
TallandThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Lazylioness, i think yours is my favorite!! Tall and thin, yours is very inspiring too.

For me? I think a few things ~
**I don't drink soda anymore. No desire to. Don't buy it, not in the house (good for the kids!)
**I'm proud I eat healthy foods (as I'm eating my lentil soup!!). I almost feel sorry for people who don't and think I'M the weird one.
**I just Feel so much better. TOM is better. Hormones overall are better. Can run further and faster when I eat healthy. No sugar crashes and heart racing when I eat on plan.

TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Good for you TwynnB!
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:58 AM   #13  
Be happy.

I videotaped several of my students reading this month. I sit beside them as they read, so that I can help if needed - but I try to stay out of sight.

While reviewing one of the videos with parents this week I kept seeing this slim arm and hand reaching in to point to a word or illustration. It's my arm - but it sure doesn't look the way I think of myself looking.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #14  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Wow! Hearing from all of you and your NSV's is just great! This is really helping me keep focusing on staying OP because I know the only way to keep having these successes is to keep my eating clean.

Thanks for taking the time to share, everyone!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:25 AM   #15  
Mini-goal: 260

S/C/G: 325/ticker/154

Height: 5'6"

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lc...2miio1_500.jpg

I noticed over the weekend that my tummy no longer touches the steering wheel. I can put my hand between my belly and the wheel and wiggle it around and everything.
annieoh is offline   Reply With Quote