Old 11-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 279/272/175

Height: 5'9"

Question help, how to make yummy rice?

i need help.
i need ways to make brown rice taste good.
i have some of the boil in a bag stuff and i don't know how to season it.

i get cooking it in chicken broth, but what else can i add?

or what can i put rice in? any recipes?

thanks
couponmom85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I usually don't eat it with seasonings, but all kinds of herbs can be added, depending on what you are serving with.

First off, I always use chicken broth, and I always bake it using Alton Brown's method. It's easy, hands-off, and you can use cheaper bulk brown rice, instead of the pricier boil-in-bag stuff:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

If I was serving with a stirfry, I usually leave it plain, with sauce in the stirfry soaking in it really doesn't need much else. This is probably the way we use it most frequently.

For Mexican-style dishes, you can add cumin, chili powder, fresh garlic and onion, or even a little saffron.

You can flavor with lemon and a bit of thyme, and some parmesan. Put the thyme in while it's baking, add a little lemon zest tossed in at the end. Some garlic would be good here, too.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 279/272/175

Height: 5'9"

yeah the boil in the bag stuff cost me $0.10 lol
i have some regular brown rice i got for $0.05
(i love my coupons lol)
oh thanks for those tips, they sound good
I'll have to try that link, i love the stuff he makes.
couponmom85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:09 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've never heard of boil in the bag rice. I usually make brown rice as it is, just water. The stuff I serve with it tends to be flavorful such as nicely spiced lentils served on top.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 207/212/155

Height: 5'9

This is the best rice I've ever had. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Armenia...af/Detail.aspx

I cut the recipe in half and use fat free low sodium chicken broth.
stellarwbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 302/292/130

Height: 5'1"

It sound really weird, I know, but make some plain rice, put in some margarine or butter...and a bit of plain old white vinegar. Or lemon juice, whichever...either way, tastes amazing. But then, I've always been told I'm nuts, lol.
devnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #7  
wants to walk away 200lbs

S/C/G: 350 -last time I found a scale

Height: 5'7"

1. I love brown rice hate fooling with it.... until I got a second hand rice cooker, now it is the easiest thing in the world to make. One way I like is to throw in a capfull or three of Tex-Mex seasoning and some chopped onion, and sometimes canned diced tomatoes.

2. I have MSG FREE soup bases that I use depending on the meal and the same company, Peoples Pantry (in Canada) has veggie flakes (another soup thing) I also add.

3. I fry it in my wok (the trick to fried rice is to start with cooked CHILLED rice) when I fry rice I add soy sauce a scrambled egg and chopped up whatever I happen to have on hand.

4. My mother used to cook it with chopped apples and raisins and eat it like breakfast cereal, that works too.
fatgyrl is offline   Reply With Quote