Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

Question Date night meal - need to really impress him....

*grin*

Please help ladies!

I need a meal, start to finish, that costs less than 800 calories.

I am hoping for a salad, main course and dessert. If there is room for a glass of wine... I'd be thrilled.

The MOST important part is that I need to wOw my Guy.

I'm hoping to cook something with salmon because that is his favorite.

And, I'm not a whiz in the kitchen, so I'm hoping for something relatively simple. Unfussy would also be good.

Help... please?
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #2  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

how about...

baked salmon with roasted baby carrots (these are these little carrots with the greens still on top, not the things that come in the giant bags. They look cool and taste yummy! you can buy them at trader joes or gourmet sections of grocery stores. side dish of mushroom risotto (I buy a boxed brand called Lundberg's), check your supermarket for a pre-seasoned boxed risottos.

salad of spring mix, cranberries, walnuts, goat cheese with balsamic vinaigrette.

dessert of vanilla scented poached pears. serve it with squares or dark chocolate or a bowl of lindt truffles.

if you control your portions, you should be able to eat all this for 800 calories.

Last edited by Wildflower; 11-14-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/183/165

Height: 5'10

I don't know what kind of things you have in your kitchen, but here are some ideas...

salad: keep it simple to maximize calories for the dinner. Also, if you can eat more salad and eat a smaller portion of the entree, you can make something a little more decadent. Try mixed greens or spinach with veggies (red onions, peppers, cucumber - whatever you like), maybe some fruit (I like pear and apple, some people like oranges or berries), you could add a bit of reduced fat feta. Salad dressing is really easy to make - just lemon juice or vinegar, a bit of dijon mustard, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.

I also like roasted vegetables as a side for dinner, like aspargus or broccoli, but you could also make peas. Sautee some garlic and onion in a bit of oil and add frozen peas and some salt and pepper. You could also add a bit of mint.

Salmon is really easy to make. Lemon zest and juice, dill, dijon mustard and bake. If you wanted to spend a few extra calories - you could use maple syrup and a little soy. Or some ginger. There are a TON of easy salmon recipes online! So good...

I like roasted squash risotto. It does take a while though - risotto is kind of intensive from scratch. Maybe some nice brown rice?

Alternatively, you could make a pasta with salmon and vegetables? Whole wheat pasta, some sauteed veggies, a little oil and garlic and some roasted salmon? The key to cooking is to think about things you like or that you've eaten before and build from it.

For dessert, maybe try baked apples? Cut up some apples, throw them in a dish with some splenda and cinnamon and lemon juice, top with some oats mixed with a little more splenda/cinnamon, spray with cooking spray, put in oven. Serve with non fat vanilla yogurt.

Your guy will love that you put the work in, so don't stress too much about the menu. I've discovered that my partner in crime loves just about everything I make. And there are TONS of easy, healthy recipes out there. Just relax and find one that appeals to you!
funnycanadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

These sweet potato fries are AWESOME, and would be a good side dish. Only 108 calories too:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/11/b...ato-fries.html
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #5  
Never ending story

S/C/G: 213/160/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Salmon marinated in a little soy sauce, fish sauce, fresh garlic and sesame oil (a little sesame oil goes a long way) is my favorite, and serve that over a big green salad that's dressed with seasoned rice vinegar and soy sauce. You can serve them separate and put the salmon over brown rice that's tossed in a tiny bit of seasoned rice vinegar and chopped green onions if you like, and serve snow peas or sugar snap peas just barely cooked on the side (or on the salad if you're going that route).

Dessert: fresh figs with mascarpone cheese and a drizzle of really good, aged balsamic vinegar--I know fresh figs are hard to find, and expensive, so you can do baked apples or pears the same way, just core them and put them in a pan with a half inch of apple cider and a sprinkle of cinnamon--and truvia or sugar if you like it sweeter. Good balsamic vinegar is hard to find sometimes too, so you can use honey instead. Sprinkle some toasted or chopped almonds or pecans over the top before serving.
LouisaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 215.5/185.5/150

Height: 5'5"

*absolutely beaming*

3fc members do it again.

Thank you all sooooo much... There are some really great ideas here... I'm SO excited!!!

Gosh.. not sure what I'm going to do yet.. but I'm working on it...

Thank you ladies.. and best wishes to us all on the weight loss front....
beth4365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #7  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

I just want to echo a previous poster and say that fresh figs are AMAZING. I recently made them by scoring the tops of the figs with a criss cross, putting a bit of earth balance margarine over them, and then adding honey and baking in a dish for about 30 minutes. The scored tops of the figs opened up into petals and I served them with low fat vanilla icecream. I thought they were amazing, but my other half wasn't as fond of them. But they are Soooo easy, and you can put them in when you guys start to eat dinner. yuuuuuum.
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

Let us know what you end up making and how it turns out! And... how the date goes
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:42 PM   #9  

This is an awesome salmon marinade, and SO easy - just equal parts pure maple syrup and soy sauce. Marinate the salmon for a few hours, then top with a liberal amount of fresh cracked black pepper and broil until done.

Good luck!
SueSays is offline   Reply With Quote