Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #1  
your calories are showing

S/C/G: 286/healthy&fit

Height: 5'5ish

Default I need Help

a couple of weeks ago, i was just 1-2lbs away from my goal weight...but lately i've been just all out binging on food and i dont know why. the pleasure and comfort i get eating cookies and cereal is starting to become addictive. ive been getting bored/unsatisfied with eating baked chicken,veggies and oatmeal all the time. i honestly can say im happy with my size..just need some toning and im good.i really need to get back on track becuase i plan to be at goal by the end of the year but if i keep this up i will be needing to loose an extra 10lb by the end of the year. any support? motivation? advice?

Last edited by Brit; 11-14-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

Put down those cookies right now! You have achieved something incredible. 138 pounds lost?

I think you need to check out some recipes and vary your diet a little bit. Eating the same things can get very boring. You're on your last few pounds, you do not want to give up all of your hard work for some cookies. They're not that great anyway.

Take it one day at a time. In fact, start right now. If you have an urge to go get a fatty, sugary, carby snack, don't. You have the power to make it to your goal and maintain for life. Don't set yourself up for failure when you're so close. You can do it!

Last edited by Linsy; 11-14-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #3  
Hot Momma

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5 ft

wow you've lost 136 pounds. That's awesome. Well, I"m not there yet, but I say, look back on where you been, and realize you don't want to be there again. If you crave cookies, at least eat them in moderation. When you go grocery shopping don't buy the large container. Just got a packet of three or for, so you won't be tempted to continue munching. As far as cereal, maybe some tasty cereals that contain a good bit of fiber. Will keep you fuller, longer.

For me, I absolutely love the taste of food. Good food. Not the mundane taste like the soul has been sucked out of a peanut taste. So I try to switch it up alot when I cook. Even with baked chicken, there's alot of yummy spices you can try. Or my new thing has been eating alot of fish. I REALLY used to like fried fish so i had to have an alternative. So now I buy some frozen cod/tilapia sprinkle a little bit of cornmeal on each side and bake. Comes out crispy just like being fried. Not the same but close enough! I absolutely adore italian food. So when I do cook things like spaghetti. I use turkey meatballs instead of beef, with wheat pasta instead of regular.

But you've been to the heavier side of life, so I"m sure you'll do find, and find all the motivation you need to keep it up. You'll be fine!
ksmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:46 AM   #4  
Hot Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsy View Post
Put down those cookies right now! You have achieved something incredible.

I know i'm kind of low on the totem pole of weight loss, but i feel like if she heavily crave these things, she should have them-------in extreme moderation of course. I think the fact that she's down to where she wants to be, she's ok to have a cookie or snack once in a while. Obviously not the entire package in one sitting. But I think of she continues to live like she's dieting, eventually the craving will get out of hand and she'll go on a binge.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 258/238/135

Height: 5'6"

Default perhaps?

Could there be a mental block with acheiving your goal? Have you thought about how being at goal makes you feel? Are you afraid you will never be able to eat those items again? Afraid of unwanted "attention" or the permanency of goal? It could be none of those things but from the little things i have read, it seems alot of people get a little "Freaked out" around goal weight. If it really is just food boredom, shake it up a little girl! you can make low carb cookies with almond flour or get yummy snacks from healthfood stores. You can get tofuti vegan ice cream products which are YUMMY just a few thoughts. Now hang in there! you have come so far

-fm
foodmasochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:28 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
I know i'm kind of low on the totem pole of weight loss, but i feel like if she heavily crave these things, she should have them-------in extreme moderation of course.
I highly disagree with this. The OP talks of addiction. The best way to deal with addiction is to ban the item. Everything in moderation? Bull.. It just doesn't work for many of us. Ask any alcoholic if just a little vodka works.

I had a very hard time stopping to eat many foods once I started. My solution - don't start. Problem solved! 165 pounds shed and kept off for 3+ years.

As far as cravings go. You don't have to give into a craving. It's okay to tell yourself no. Much better to let the cravings die down. And they will. Within a short period of time, you'll stop craving them. This was miraculous to me.

Back to the OP:

Okay. You've done an incredible job and you will continue to do so.

You mentioned two of my worst can not have ever in the house foods - cereal and cookies. No way. No how. My history proves that I just can't do these foods moderately. You need to ban them; make them definite no's.

As far as your menu goes, maybe it's time to expand your choices a little bit. Maybe a chicken stir fry. Yumm. Maybe some pecan salmon. Chicken meatballs with spaghetti squash. Yummy chilis. Satiating soups.

Regardless. The time is now to nip this in the bud. Clean out your home. Add in the good foods. Stop giving yourself permission to eat *these foods*. They're not worth it. They're not worth it. They're not worth it.

You spoke of comfort and pleasure. There's no comfort and pleasure in gaining weight, feeling remorse and guilt. Get back to the real comfort of eating well, doing right by your body and feeling fabulous. Don't settle for temporary pleasure. Think how pleasurable and comfortable it feels to walk around all day long in that wonderful body you've created for yourself. You deserve true comfort. You deserve the pleasure without the guilt.

Give yourself a few tight days, the tighter the better and you will see how relieved you are to be back on track. Because the track is a great place to be.

I would love you to come check out our Maintainers Forum here at 3FC. We all go through these same issues from time to time. Please come by:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/living-maintenance-170/

Last edited by rockinrobin; 11-14-2010 at 11:29 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #7  
Hot Momma

All do respect it's not Bull just because our opinions differ. Different bodies, respond differently. Just because you can't handle a cookie or two, doesn't mean she can't....I'm just starting out, but for the last two months since i've started, that's how I handle my cravings. Once in a while, i'll have a cookie, or have a mini sized candy bar. It just works for me so I don't go all coo coo for cocoa puffs and end up eating an entire bag of chips ahoy's. Its not like she's just starting out. She's been doing this for over a year, and is down almost 140lbs. So.....it's safe to say if the cravings haven't died yet......maybe she should just look for a healthy cookie alternative like a poster above stated.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

ksmommy -

I said that it's bull for MANY of us, not all of us. Many - not all. To repeat - many, not all.

And I can not of course speak for the OP, but you can bet those cravings have died down - for the most part. It's just that when they're re-introduced that the cravings come roaring back. That's how addictions work.

Upon hitting maintenance, I have added back some foods - in controlled settings. Where I can't go back for more. Outside of my home. Come take a look at the maintainers forum and you will see that this is a very common practice. You did speak on another post about being worried about *keeping this up*; it's this very strategy that many maintainers find essential to keeping the weight off.

Quote:
Once in a while, i'll have a cookie, or have a mini sized candy bar. It just works for me so I don't go all coo coo for cocoa puffs and end up eating an entire bag of chips ahoy's.
I hope your strategy works for you and takes you to your goals and beyond. We all have to find what works for us and more importantly - what doesn't.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 11-14-2010 at 11:59 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 129.4/ticker/115

Height: 4'11''

Hi Brit,

First of all, congratulations on your unbelievable achievements so far... very inspiring!

As for the cookie/cereal topic.... for me, I cannot have just 1 or 2 of my "trigger" foods. So, like rockinrobin, I don't buy them/have them in my house often, if ever.

If I do, I stick them in the freezer. That way I am forced to take time to let it thaw, and thus have time to think about whether I am hungry or whether it's another emotion I'm dealing with.

I don't purchase any foods that if I eat in bulk will give me that "carb coma" you're describing. I know myself, and I know that I won't be able to stop. So, I've been setting myself up for success, and only purchasing what works with my calorie limit and what tastes good, but isn't junk.

Please keep going.... you're doing soooo well! I'd get right on over there to the "Maintainers" forum, I bet they have loads of strategies

Last edited by FatPantsSkinnyJeans; 11-14-2010 at 12:09 PM.
FatPantsSkinnyJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #10  
New Lifestyle Nov.1/10

S/C/G: 252/249/170

Height: 5'6

In my experience if it's in the house I'm going to eat it. So, I just don't buy it or let it in the house. You are such an inspiration and you deserve to reach your goal weight. Saying that someone has reached their goal weight sounds like they have finished a race. So my thought is that it sounds like something is coming to an end and that might be a negative/sad feeling. Negative/sad feelings for me make me want to eat to feel better. Clearly this is a bad idea but you can see the logic.

So, maybe we need to put a more positive spin on the end of journey. Or, maybe instead saying you've reached your goal you could say that in 3lbs you are beginning ...... (fill in the blank) some part of your life. Rather than seeing this as the end of something.

Regardless, you have to be so proud of yourself for coming so far. AMAZING!!
SillyFilly17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #11  
your calories are showing

S/C/G: 286/healthy&fit

Height: 5'5ish

thanks everyone

as far as the moderation, idk how i feel about that. i think i need it eliminated completely. its what i been doing before to help control myself but lately my mom has been buying more junk food lately.i cant really control the food i have in my kitchen because im only 19,still living with my parents so they have to buy (which is junk food..hint the cereal and cookies) for everyone who eats in the household..and that's when i get tempted.any other time i could easily avoid it but idk where my self control has went.

i plan on going back on track full force tomorrow. i miss the feeling of being on plan and not guilty.ill bookmark this thread and read it EVERY TIME i wanna make a bad decision.

i know one reason i let myself slip up is cause i think "im not that fat anymore, i've came so far so a few cookies wont hurt" then it starts to become a daily habit and next thing you know my calorie intake is at 3000.

Last edited by Brit; 11-14-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #12  
I am worth it

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140 (maybe 130)

Height: 5' 3" and a half ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodmasochist View Post
Could there be a mental block with acheiving your goal? Have you thought about how being at goal makes you feel? Are you afraid you will never be able to eat those items again? Afraid of unwanted "attention" or the permanency of goal? It could be none of those things but from the little things i have read, it seems alot of people get a little "Freaked out" around goal weight. If it really is just food boredom, shake it up a little girl! you can make low carb cookies with almond flour or get yummy snacks from healthfood stores. You can get tofuti vegan ice cream products which are YUMMY just a few thoughts. Now hang in there! you have come so far

-fm
First of all, CONGRATS hun . You have done an amazing job! I think foodmasochist has some valid points here that may or may not relate to you. It is definitely worth some effort to explore if there is an emotional side to your new overeating. It could also be that you are just plain burnt out and need to switch to maintenance for a bit to give you body a bit of time to refuel. This doesn't mean you should continue to eat all the cookies and cereal you want lol, but maybe a month at maintenance level, while eating healthy calories, could be beneficial. Try changing up your current diet as well. I can relate to how you are feeling because I am in the exact same spot you are as well. I am about 1-2 pounds from my original goal but I am feeling tired and maybe a little afraid of maintenance.
I also suggest the Beck Diet Solution book for you as well. It has helped me find my triggers and it gave me a new way to think about food. It is not a diet plan, but a helpful guide on eating right for life.
I know you can do this, and perhaps with a change of routine, or little maintenance break, you will be ready to finish out your weight loss.
sweetnlow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 210/159/135

Height: 5'1"

One idea I had that might help, is to make your own. say, make banana walnut cookies, use applesauce instead of butter with cinnamon and nutmeg for seasoning with whole wheat flour(or other appropriate flour). after they're cooked, freeze all but one. Then you can get 1 cookie, that will be more like a sweet bread versus a cookie, but still perhaps can give you that fix you're going for. and you'll have a stash of 'cookies' for later. Maybe you could also make your own homemade granola. If that counts as cereal to you, it might make 'boring old oatmeal' a lot more exciting, with nuts, fruits, etc in it.

It sounds more than anything like you feel trapped and want variety. maybe some cooking and experimentation is in order.

Congrats on all the weight loss.
atreyyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Sounds like you need variety but a different kind.

Instead of throwing cookies into a plan that you seem to be getting bored of (see robin's post about eliminating triggers), think of varieties of your healthy choices.

Turkey or fish instead of chicken. Bison instead of chicken. All lean meats.

Instead of boring oatmeal, cream of wheat, quinoa, rice, yams, sweet potatoes. Protein pancake with oats and cottage cheese, with fruit topping (I use puree banana)

Get some rare veggies or use different spices/cooking methods.

There is more to healthy eating than the typical foods.

Last edited by sacha; 11-14-2010 at 02:45 PM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #15  
Funsized Fiesta

S/C/G: 230/144.5/130

Height: 5'4"

I agree with what others have said about needing more variety in your diet. Eating healthy doesn't have to be all about chicken, veggies, and oatmeal! There's loads of great, healthy recipes floating around on the internet (and on these forums), so maybe you should try looking for some ones that sound tasty and try them out. Also try adding some foods you don't normally eat to your diet. Veggies can get boring if all you eat are salads and broccoli, carrots, potatoes, etc., but if you experiment with other kinds, you might just find a few more foods you really enjoy eating.

I think you just need to step back for a moment and take a breather, regather your thoughts and think about how far you've come so far and what you're going to do to continue to live your healthy lifestyle. You've made fantastic progress, don't give up now.
KenzideRhae is offline   Reply With Quote