Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #1  
~Kim~

Default My first "I'm getting frustrated!" Post

I've been on my new plan for a month now. I've lost almost 11 pounds in that time. I'm happy with 11 pounds, BUT I don't understand why it's not more. The last two weeks combined I've only lost 3 pounds. That's just not good enough at this stage when I still have so far to go. I track everything, so I know mathmatically that I deserve to have lost more.

I've put my data in multiple calculators and they all say to maintain my weight I'd need about 2400 to 2600 calories a day. I'm calorie cycling and my average daily intake comes out to 1400. That's at the lowest a 7000 deficit a week or two pounds AND that's before considering exercise. I exercise everyday usually for at least 30 minutes.

I've stayed on plan. Haven't gone over my calorie balance once in 26 days, I get 100+ oz of water everyday plus 6 servings of fruit and veggies. I don't eat any junk. I get over 100 grams of protein and my fat intake is ususally in the 30's or 40's. I watch my sodium. It just isn't adding up! It doesn't make sense and it's frustrating.

I know everyone is different, we all lose at different rates. I would be happy with 3 pounds in two weeks if I were much closer to goal, BUT I still have so far to go. At this stage I should be losing more.
TooManyDimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

It took me 6 months to lose 16lbs. I was really upset I didn't lose 10+ in the first month, and I just couldn't understand WHY. But after a lot of trial and error I just figure this is how my body does things. 3-4lb a month, if I'm lucky, and I've accepted it.

I don't know what to tell you to kickstart things aside from maybe checking your carb in take and upping your calories (I only say this because I've heard that people tend to underestimate their calorie consumption), and give that a try, and if THAT doesn't work, try lowering them or even cycling them.

Either way, try not to get frustrated with your losing pace right now. You gotta remember, we didn't put on all this weight in one week, it took years, and losing it slower is healthier, plus it will help to save your skin in the long run (at least I hope lol), PLUS, I think it will help teach us patience and help us really see how and why we became what we started out as.

You're already 32lbs down, that's fantastic, just try to stay patient.

Last edited by yhahmd; 11-12-2010 at 09:16 AM.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Gosh, you lost 11 pounds in one month and you're complaining??

Maybe adjust your expectations? You're losing at a good rate. And, you're also learning what most of us find out, namely that cutting calories MORE doesn't necessarily mean faster loss. The fact that you're frustrated after only a month may mean you're restricting too much.

The numbers in most calculators are estimates and averages. They are also based on the idea that everyone's metabolism (rate of calorie burn) is the same. That may not be true for people who are overweight/obese. You have to find out what works for you.

If it's too hard for you to stay with a 1400 calorie per day average intake, it sounds like you have room to increase your intake and still lose weight. How do you do that? Eat the same way you're eating now, but increase your servings a little. Instead of 3 ounces of chicken, eat 4. Instead of 1/2 cup of rice, eat 3/4 cup. Little things like that. You may feel better and less hungry, and you may still keep on losing!

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 11-12-2010 at 10:16 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I agree with Jay.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #5  
~Kim~

I'm really just frustrated with the last two weeks. The first two weeks I lost almost 8 lbs. The second two only 3. I know I need to be patient and try adjusting things.

I'm actually not having any problem with my calorie allowance right now. I'm thinking about dropping it 100 calories each day and seeing how I feel at that and if it makes any difference in my loss.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #6  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I agree with Jay too. 11 pounds in a month is fantastic. You are not going to have every month like that. Try breaking down your goal weight into smaller more manageable goals. I know if I look at my "big picture" too often as the end result, I get frustrated too. But, once I broke it apart into smaller sections, much easier to handle. Also try measuring. Some weeks I do not lose pounds as much as I lose inches.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #7  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

That first week or two is mostly water weight loss, too, and that drops off quickly and you really can't expect it to continue. You're doing great! Even if it plods along at a much slower rate than you're expecting, stick with it. Cutting calories so much might not be the best answer, as Jay noted. Maybe nudge them up a bit and then you'll have wiggle room to drop them when you need to further into the process. Good luck.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #8  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

This is going to take time. It just is. You're going to have some big loss months and some really small loss months. Sometimes you'll know exactly why and sometimes you'll throw your hands up and say "What gives?" But if you ARE losing then you ARE doing something right. Heck, sometimes when you aren't losing you may be doing something right.

It's quite common to see a quick loss and then a sudden slow down.

Bottom line, you're doing just fine. I know, sometimes we just need to vent.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 280/247/160

11 lbs in a month? I'd be jumping for joy!
I've lost 5 lbs last month and while I do have moments where I wish the weight would just disappear from one day to the next, I know that's a ridiculous expectation. I agree with lazylioness. Instead of looking at your final number, try to set goals that are easier to achieve.
I have set my final goal at a 100 lbs loss, but to get there I just try to focus on things like "getting out of the 260s" or getting my BMI to the next smaller number.Some weeks I lose a lbs, others I am down 3, some I gain despite being on plan. I have come to terms that it's a long journey that will require patience and will test my determination.
I haven't been doing this for too long, but it seems to me that having a strict "lbs per month or week" goal will inevitably lead to frustrations. Your body isn't a machine, there are things going on that we don't understand and all the calculations in the world will not allow you to make proper "predictions" of how much you should be losing. And like others have said, dropping your calories isn't necessarily the solution.

Don't give into your frustrations, you CAN do this . There are so many people on here who have been through all of it - listen to them when they say you're doing great. Besides, I keep hearing that losing more than 2 lbs per week isn't even that good for you, so... you're right on track
cincimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #10  
~Kim~

Thanks everyone. I realize I sound kind of silly. I think what I'm really worried about is my weightloss slowing down in the future. I'm completely happy with 11 pounds in a month. But with how hard I'm working and the effort I'm putting in I will be upset if it stays down and I only lose 6 or so pounds a month. I just have way too far to go for that. Of course I can't predict the future so it is kind of pointless to worry about it now.

As the day has gone on and I've been eating my meals and getting my exercise in I've felt better. I realize this is a journey and there will be bumps in the road, but if I stay on course I will get where I want to be eventually.

Just needed to vent and get some reinforcement and encouragement.. thanks for that. =)
Old 11-12-2010, 02:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 280/247/160

cincimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #12  

You don't have realistic expectations at all. Exercising 30 minutes a day will not cause any addition to your weight loss - you need at least 60 for that. Safe weight loss is .5 - 2 pounds a week so you really need to lower your expectations. How much did you expect to gain each week when your weight was going up?
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #13  
~Kim~

My expectations might be a little high, but it's not like I expect to lose 20 or 15 pounds a month. 8 to 10 would be great. It's not like that's impossible and it's not like plenty of other people haven't done it before.

And exercising 30 minutes a day will not effect my weightloss at all? So you're saying that the first 30 minutes of exercise my body just refuses to burn any calories, but that second 30 minutes it decides it's ok? You have me scratching my head over that one.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

I've heard that 30 is how many minutes you need to MAINTAIN, and that 40-60 is for actual weight loss.

Don't know the truth behind that though.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Sorry, you'll need to adjust your expectation.

As you reach goal, you may go weeks and even months without losing, you'll need to be prepared for that. Weight loss is not linear and now you are fighting the psychological hurdle that many stumble and fall - question is, will you jump it or will you trip and stay down?

Do not be surprised if it takes a year to get there...

One of the biggest reasons people give up and fail is impatience.

Last edited by sacha; 11-12-2010 at 04:30 PM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote