Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #1  

Default What are your best tips for weight loss success?

Hi All;

I'm looking for some new weight loss tips, I work out regularly and I've cut out excess white sugar and complex carbs, how have you successfully lost weight?

Please, no advice if it hasn't worked for you or someone you personally know

Thanks ahead of time for your answers, and I'll be sure to pick a best answer to give those points!

Regards
Wingmark
wingmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

Consistency and Discipline is what worked for me. Drinking a lot of water, AT LEAST 64 oz a day. No sweets, nothing fried. Also cardio 5 times a week. Good luck!
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

My best advice is really very simple. Stick with it and give it time. Weight loss is more about patience for me than anything else.

Truly...I have quit multiple times. This time I took a look at what my problem was and realized it was commitment. So I made a commitment to do this for one year and see where it got me. It got me to a near 80 pound loss.

Last edited by Eliana; 11-10-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Keeping at it, realising that messing up one day doesn't mean I've failed unless I actually give up, counting calories strictly, and exercising every day. Even if it's something small and only 20 minutes. Also learning about the calories I'm putting into my body, and what they do and how they do it, and being ACCOUNTABLE for what I'm eating.

It's hard not to blame it on others or situations, but I'm learning to be accountable.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #5  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Sticktoititis.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I truly believe that the only reason I'm succeeding this time, is because I've redefined success and failure. Failure is no longer "not losing" it's only choosing not to try. Success is no longer "only losing" it's also maintaining weight loss acheived so far, and not letting a pound gain become a five pound gain because "I screwed up a little, so if I can't succeed big, I might as well fail with a big bang."

I started seeing weight loss as climbing a mountain. No matter how slow I'm going I will eventually reach the top if I keep climbing. If I slip or stumble, throwing myself to the bottom of the canyon would be ridiculous, and so is turning one off-plan bite into a full-blown binge.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #7  
Happy Member

...focus...Focus...FOCUS...FOCUS...FOCUS...FOCUS...FOCUS...Focus...focus...
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4''

Keep going even when you think you can't last another second.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 193/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

focus and not putting any bad food in my house to avoid temptation
leopardtuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

Realize that weight loss isnt always a linear process. My weight fluctuates from day to day and this used to upset me and cause me to emotionally eat. Now I just look at the number every morning and, when it is up, i think: oh! guess im retaining water today! I guess I'll just drink an extra 16 ozs today to flush it out.
I am definitely learning patience from this process.

I also agree that lots of water and veggies is useful. And I know this isnt the most healthy suggestion but, when I get that feeling like I've gotta eat everything in the house even though I just ate a couple hours ago, I drink flavored coffee. It feels like I'm having a treat and suppresses my appetite.

Another thing that suppresses my appetite is MODERATE exercise. If I do too much I get hungrier but if I just go for a brisk walk it takes away the desire to eat.
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #11  
Bear Down..Lost 38 in '10

S/C/G: 260.0/219.4/113.0

Height: 5'

Something I tell my kids applies to this final weight loss journey I'm on. Good choices, good things happen. Bad choices, bad things happen. So, I'm making good choices all around in my life. Includes the foods I eat, the time I spend during a day and how to make the most of it. I try to drink over 64 oz water daily, although I seem to forget on weekends. I walk 10000 steps 5 days a week and I keep track of what I eat by writing it down. Planning my menus has been one of the things that when I take the time to do it...simplifies my life and really helps me succeed with my goals and healthy eating. That way I don't have to make the choices each day...only when I make the plan then I just have to follow the plan. Great thread! Love seeing what everyone has to say.
gottadoit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

I also had to learn the hard way that too much of a good thing is, well, not so good. Measure, weigh, and count your veggies!!
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #13  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Planning
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #14  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Pick a plan you can stick to.

Seriously. That's it. Any diet WILL WORK if it creates a calorie deficit (even the Twinkie Diet, as the health professor on the news just proved ), but NO diet will work if you don't follow it consistently.

For me, it's calorie counting and then logging those calories, along with recording my weight daily. Basic, simple, effective as long as I measure my food and am honest with myself. If I stick to a calorie budget, I will lose weight. No two ways about it.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:49 PM   #15  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

As long as you are at a calorie deficit most of the time you'll lose. Some people find low carb works better, others just count calories and eat whatever they want as long as it's below their daily limit, and some switch entirely to a "clean" diet of fresh nonprocessed foods. What Arctic Mama said, essentially.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote