Old 11-08-2010, 12:26 PM   #1  
hopeless but harmless

Height: 5' 5"

Default Weekly chat November 8th-14th

STOP PRESS Post from Vickie on last weeks

Yesterday afternoon we went to a memorial service for all the people who had passed away in the last 6 months in our parish. The church was packed. It is an old Victorian one with beautiful stained glass. As the names were read out, the relatives could go up and light candles. The choir sang 'Pia Jesus' which was a favourite of Beth's and it was a very special service. Jojo the wimp cried all the way through! Mind you... I got a lovely cuddle from a dishy vicar
I was feeling a bit achey yesterday after the flu injection, Mark was OK but it was a day for sitting by the fire.
I'm going to have a lazy day today. Mark calls a lazy day, 'A day for the Queen' in the services this meant a day's holiday. I finished the tunic I was knitting so will start a tapestry (needlepoint) this afternoon when I come back from seeing the diet counsellor.
Oatbran I read an article that oatbran is a new super food. Over here, we call oatmeal 'porridge' and I wondered if oatbran was the same as oatmeal? Does anyone know? I posted a query on the food thread but haven't had an answer.
The birds are flying backwards this morning, it is so windy
Old 11-08-2010, 02:23 PM   #2  
focused and aiming

JoJo, thank you for the new pages. It sounds like you had a beautiful memorial. I would have cried, too. You are so blessed by your community. The memorial was a wonderful tribute of love. I just did some googling of "oat bran" and here's what came up: "Oat Bran, Rolled Oats, Oatmeal
These are steamed, rolled and flaked. Oat bran is the outer casing of the oat and is high in soluble fiber. They cook quickly (5-7 minutes) and are easily and quickly digested. Oat bran helps lower blood cholesterol levels because of their fiber content."

extra info: "Note that generic or any brand names (like Quaker) will not make any difference. The quicker the cooking time the less nutrition because they mill the oat into fine thing. The generic brands are usually much cheaper, and there is no difference in taste."

Vickie, I had gained 3 pounds when I weighed in last Friday. Before weighing, I talked to my sponsor because I knew I was going to have a gain and didn't want finding out to sabotage me. She advised me to say a prayer to help me accept what the scales were going to say (as OA is about turning control over to our Higher Power as we understand Him). I think what she was saying was just another way of saying, "dust off and get back on track. Look at where you are now versus where you used to be." That's what I'm doing.

(I'm stepping on a small step stool now because I don't have a soapbox.)

Remember this is our journey. Sometimes we're on the expressway, but sometimes we get diverted to side streets and by detours. We will eventually get where we want if we don't stop completely. And if we stop? Get going again.

I am very proud of you. You're developing different eating habits (so am I). It's to be expected that the old habits will resurface every now and then. But--it's what we do most of the time that's more important. (Am I saying the right thing?)

I made a healthy lunch today--oven-fried chicken breast, fresh asparagus and fresh green beans (snapped'em myself), whole kernal corn, and mashed potatoes. Now that I have you all impressed by my healthy foods, I will confess the potatoes were instant.

OA tonight. Ya'll have a great day. Life is good.

Last edited by ontarget; 11-08-2010 at 03:27 PM.
ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #3  
beachbum

Hi Ladies

Had a Bad Day, had my knee up on the sofa all day.My friend Alice wanted me to go to Hyannis with her but I just couldn't get going. We also had some freezing rain this morning and one of our police cars skidded onto the side on the road.

Have a doctor appointment tomorrow morning at 11:20.Looked on the computer for a web site that would tell me something about the torn meniscus. The only treatment I found was surgery,couldn't find any information on the Synvisc injections.

Just finished baking 6 apple cinnamon muffin tops and raspberry healthy heart pancakes for future breakfasts.Baking really make the house smell good.

Going to start my supper and watch Dr Oz.See you gals in the morning.
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 153/142/130

Height: 5'2"

Maryann, I think the synvisc is for worn down cartilage. A torn meniscus is different. I don't have time to chat, but that's my "two cents worth".
sloanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

I've got Sloan's cold! Back later....
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #6  
focused and aiming

Maryann, I hope you get some relief tomorrow. I can almost smell those apple cinnamon muffin tops. Yummy!!

Rhonda, I'm sorry you're sick. Get well soon.

Sloan, are you feeling better?

Just got home from OA. We had a great meeting and I'm pumped.

Last edited by ontarget; 11-08-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:01 AM   #7  
hopeless but harmless

Height: 5' 5"

I got on really well with the counsellor yesterday. She spelled out what I already knew, but needed to hear. I’m not on a diet, I’m changing the way I eat, the way I think of food and the way I was using it as a comforter. There’s going to be ups and downs and the important thing is to cill out about any gain and just keep focused.
I think I have caught Sloanie’s cold/flu. I’, achy shivery and a bit nauseous with a headache. On top of the flu jab on Saturday, it has kind of flattened me. I reckon we've made history Tejas, the first 2 cases of cyber coldsQuiet day today for me.
The muffins sound wonderful Maryann. Rest that knee now.
Thanks for the info Sandra, really appreciate it.
Vickieread what my counsellor said. You and I are in the same boat ane there's safety in numbers. We can crack this if we stick together
jojo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #8  
beachbum

Hi Ladies

Got back from the doctor 2 hrs ago.I need surgery as my tear is too big to repair with gel injections. My surgery is going to be some time in January right after the holidays. He had an opening on 12/22 but I told him that was the day I was going down to my DD's for Christmas/New Years.The nurse is going to call me some time this afternoon or tomorrow morning to choose a day that will be convenient for me.

She told me that I will need crutches for a couple of days and no stairs for a while also.So I will have to sleep down stairs either on the couch or Leo's Lounge chair. I say the latter.Have to bring my clothes & other items down stairs.

Soon after the operation I will have to go for rehab or physical therapy for 3-4 months as a out patient.So that the news with me.

SLOAN-You're absolutely right the injections are for a cartilage a meniscus had to be operated on.

SANDRA-Have wait into January to finally get relieve,but its going to take months of therapy to get to my normal self. I baked the muffins from a Jiffy box mix,and they were delish.......

JOJO-I better get off this this thread soon if all of you got Shoane's cold/flu.Don't need that as I'm going down to my DD for Thanksgivingnow that I got the doctor orders that I can travel. Don't know if you get Dr Oz on the telly,if you do watch what he says about diets. If not go to DrOz.com you'll get some much info on everything from soup to nuts. I agree with your counselor,it not the diet but the food you eat and the quantity. Thanks I resting my knee as much as possible.

Have a great evening,see you gals tomorrow
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #9  

Sloan & JoJo ....
get well
That cyber Flu is bad this year I heard...
New meaning to getting a virus on your computer !!!

Maryann
I guess that is sorta good and sorta bad news... Good they can fix it and you have a surgery date after Christmas but bad that you will have a long rehab process. That sounds as long as getting past a knee replacement..
(I sleep downstairs on the couch sometimes because Robin snores and the pets get so excited when we do a "slumber party "in the living room. The dog sleeps at my feet and the cat sleeps wedged between me and the back of the sofa.
I feel like a kid getting to stay up late when I do that. )

But I know that is different than having to because your knee is hurt...
Is the recliner comfortable enough to sleep in??

Rhonda...I just saw that you are sick too!!! I am going to wash my hands after chatting with you guys!!!!!

Last edited by nancy237; 11-09-2010 at 09:30 PM.
nancy237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #10  

Yes, wash your hands, really well....

Back tomorrow I'm sure...
Old 11-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #11  
Southside White Sox Fan

Good Morning Chicks! Today is my 19th wedding anniversary. We are dropping Brodie off for a spa morning and we are going off to a beautiful breakfast.

Take care of yourselves my sick Chickie friends. Mary Ann, that's awful. Maybe your DD could come down and take care of you?

It's going to be 70 here today. Woo Hoo!

Hugs to you all.
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #12  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie View Post
Good Morning Chicks! Today is my 19th wedding anniversary. We are dropping Brodie off for a spa morning and we are going off to a beautiful breakfast.

Take care of yourselves my sick Chickie friends. Mary Ann, that's awful. Maybe your DD could come down and take care of you?

It's going to be 70 here today. Woo Hoo!

Hugs to you all.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY VICKIE!

Hope your day is great!

Last edited by Froufy; 11-10-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Froufy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 153/142/130

Height: 5'2"

Wow, Froufy!!! Great to see ya! Hope all is well with you. Come back to see us!

Chickies, I'm so sorry! I feel like Typhoid Mary I'm getting better; just a little stuffy now. My pact with my work friend to stay on a "diet" for one week is going well. So far, we have been op for two days. It really does help to have a partner at work. Jojo sent a message to y'all to let you know she is okay. She's having some kind of reaction to her flu shot, and this morning she could not get 3FC to open on her computer. Hopefully she'll be back tomorrow.

Happy Anniversary, Vickie! Hope you and Jim have a lovey dovey day!

GTG get ready for my painting class. Feel better, y'all
sloanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #14  
focused and aiming

FROUFY!!!!!!!!!! It's so good to see you here. I haven't cruised vicariously via anyone since you've been away. Please post and let us know how you're doing. We love you!!

Froufie, I just noticed your current weight under your avatar. Way to go, girl!! I am happy for you! And by your signature, I see we're going on a cruise!!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, VICKIE!!I hope you and Jim had a grand time. Breakfast out sounds romantic.

Maryann, I think Nancy said it all. I'm glad you're getting relief and I'm also glad you'll be able to celebrate the holidays with your family.

I hope all of you with cyber colds get better quickly. I'm amazed I haven't caught Curtis' cold. So far so good. Now I hope I don't catch it from ya'll.

I subbed in high school theater yesterday. The director was still there when I arrived. Guess what. She wants me in their Christmas play. I'm excited. I get to be a snobby, "dirty" old lady. (Cinderella's grandmother) It's going to be a hoot!! Today I subbed in computer classes at a different high school--and memorized most of my lines while the students computed.

I'm Day 155 Sugar-Free. Life is good.

Last edited by ontarget; 11-11-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:10 PM   #15  

Good grief, there's Froufie!

Sorry to hear that Jojo isn't well. And, Maryann, I'm really sorry about your knee. I really hope it all goes well for you.

I'm still sort of out of it, but I'm sure tomorrow will be better.