Old 11-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Kinda OT: It's going to be a hard week

We have decided that it is definately time to put our old dog down. She has been an amazing dog for the past 13 years! She was my first baby and my kids have all grown up with her, telling them is going to be about the hardest thing I have ever had to do, but it's time. Her hips have been bad for over a year and the past 6 months she has gotten progressively worse. We have had to carry her up and down the stairs for a while now, which we have done with love because she is so much a part of who we are, but now it's getting to where she can't keep her footing at all on flat land and she just looks so sad when she knows we are having to pick her up to carry her where she was heading. If it weren't for her hips I'm sure she would have lots of life left in her, she still thinks of herself as a young dog and thinks she can run... but sadly she can't.

Anyway, we will take her on Saturday to the vet when hubby has a day off. It's going to be a long week knowing that this is our last to be with her (and not let on to the kids, I think it's best that they don't know until the weekend). I am determined to not allow myself to feel down and start munching.. it will be hard! I often eat if I don't want to talk about something.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #2  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

i wish i could say something comforting, or make you feel better...but all i can offer is

i am still mourning for my brindle dane. and that was may 2009 we had to make the same decision you are now facing.

believe me, food won't make you feel any better. take it from someone who has already tried that avenue, it will only make you feel worse.

thinking of you.
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I am so sorry Prayers going up for you and your family
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #4  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Huge hugs, from me and my dogs.
My beautiful Sassy died in 2006 at the age of 11.
My fabulous Milly died in June this year at the age of 13.

My gorgeous Hetty is nearly 15, has dementia, and balance problems on shiny floors. Last week she looked so bag of bones ish that I went into town for a tape measure to measure her for her grave - I bought plots for the 6 dogs and me about 5 years ago. Happily, I fiddled around with her food, and now she's put on weight and is more focussed and less baffled - but The Decision can't be that far away. I know how you feel. You have my sympathy and my tears.

Last edited by Rosinante; 11-08-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #5  

Height: 5'5

It's a horrible thing to go through. But I found with my cat that anticipating it was the worst part. Don't know how old your kids are, but you may want to consider bringing her home to bury. My 10 year old found it difficult to cope with the fact that our dog was just gone when we had to put her down suddenly last winter.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #6  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I had to do the same thing a few years back to my son's dog. Reilly was seriously the best dog we ever owned. He was a Great Dane/Shepard mix. He at his top weight was 165lbs. He pulled the kids in their wagon, let them ride him like a horse, and had no idea he was being abused when they dressed him in their clothes. He just sat and loved them through all of it. Never a cross growl or anything. (unless someone was messing with his "kids"). His hips got progressively worse and when we had to take him to put him down he was down to 95lbs. It was a sad day and continues to be a sad thought.

My thoughts are with you at this difficult time.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #7  

Thanks everyone. We will definately be bringing her home to burry. Hubby is supposed to see how much it will cost to have her creamated, but it most likely will be out of our budget. She isn't a super large dog, she is a liver spotted Dalmation, but is TINY for her breed, she is only 35 pounds and about half the height.. she has always reminded us of the stance of a pitbull, so since she was a pound puppy, she very well may be mixed??

Our kids are 11, 5, 4, and 1 (the oldest 3 will all celebrate birthdays the week of Christmas.. yes crazy right?.. so they are on the upper side of their ages.) We did just get a pitbull puppy 2 weeks ago because we knew it was getting close and hoped it would ease the pain for us all, but really it doesn't.

to you you all!!
Old 11-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #8  
Out is Through

I understand exactly what you're going through. We had to put our Pomeranian mix down at the age of 13 because the tumors on his tongue spread to his brain and it was just time.. I found out while taking my Sociology midterm =/

It's never an easy thing to handle..I'm so sorry =/ *hugs tight*
Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #9  

Hubby just called and we will be able to afford to have her creamated, I think we may look into an urn for her instead of burrying her, because we do have plans to build another house on some of our other land in a few years, and though we will keep this one too, we won't want to leave her.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #10  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Oh, that's hard. I grew up with a pup we got when I was four and my mom had her put down when I was 21 and away at college. I literally grew up with that dog.

Our current 12 year old is just starting down the hip pain road. We're starting to carry him up stairs and lifting him on the bed, more for prevention than out of need. We've got him on some good meds. This is a good reminder to enjoy the puppy we have left in him.

I'll be thinking about you this week, every time my pup is in my lap, which is any time I'm sitting!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 290.6/278.8/135

Height: 5'5"

Hugs from me and my dog Ringo.

I know I may have to go through this myself soon. I have a 20 year old solid black Maine Coon mix cat named Chibi. We got him as a 6 week old kitten when I was 11 and I am 31 now. At this point he is deaf, mostly blind, can't groom himself well, and doesn't always make it to the litter box in time. Yet he still is in good spirits and gets on the furniture, albeit more carefully than he used to. We know he is going downhill but as long as he isn't suffering he will be with us.
CourtneyDaisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:32 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

Hugs to you and your family . It is never ever easy even when it is the right thing to do.

I love the movie "All Dogs Go To Heaven" and it might help the kids deal with the news.
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #13  

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.

I can't even look at her today without fighting tears. Gah the way these critters find their way into our hearts!
Old 11-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #14  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I think most pet owners are familiar with it, but if not, check out the Rainbow Bridge poem:
http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm
it makes me tear up thinking of my two that have passed away, both within 6 months of each other (siblings). I DID turn to food and didn't want to leave the other one alone, felt guilty if I went to the gym, etc. ... don't do that. I learned my mistake!

Hugs - hang in there. It won't be easy, but they rely on us to provide the most compassionate care for them and it sounds like you're doing what's best for HER, but still breaking your heart.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #15  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

I'm so sorry *hugs* I've lost a few pets and the only thing that kept me going is knowing they they knew I loved them and I knew they loved me too. I miss my babies but know I gave them the best love and care.

I have two green cheek conures right now and I've only had them about 3 years and thank goodness they live to be 25-35 years.

It's good that you got a new puppy- when my last pet died I was so upset and sad and that's when my hubby bought a conure for me. I had so much love to give but nobody to give it too. It really helped heal the hole in my heart.

I'm glad you can afford to have her creamated.

BTW the rainbow bridge is great- maybe to help the kids ease their pain you can have them all draw their own rainbow bridges and put a picture of your dog on them

Last edited by beerab; 11-08-2010 at 12:56 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote