Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/*ticker*/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Drinking more water

I had no idea where to put this question, so forgive me if I need to be redirected to the right place!

Anyways, I've been trying to increase my water intake (attempting to hit that daily 10 glasses) and I was wondering how you guys fit in your water consumption?

I have a glass or two in the morning (usually with lemon) and then maybe a water bottle full (1/2 L) throughout the day and that's about it. Not nearly enough! Any advice?

Last edited by coffeebean267; 11-07-2010 at 11:05 AM.
coffeebean267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 345/ticker/150

Height: 5'10

I bought one of those 100 ounce mugs from the gas station, and I fill it up in the morning with crushed ice and water, then I use those 32 ounce cups from the gas station and make myself drink the 32 ounces while i get ready for the day and have breakfast, then I grab a water bottle and bring that with me, and the 100 ounce mug. and I drink the mug on the way to class, and while i'm in my car. Then I leave that in my car while I go inside, and I drink the water bottle while I'm at school/work, and drink out of the mug while i'm in my car and then when I get home I drink out of that. Hahah, it sounds kinda confusing, but it helps me get a ton of water in.
sweetsmmr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #3  
it's always something

Water is the only fluid I drink, other than the occasional smoothie or beverage away from home. I keep a pitcher of filtered water in the fridge at all times, along with filtered water ice cubes. It makes it easy and it tastes so clean. Once you get used to it, you won't want anything else

It sounds like you are drinking something else with your meals? Remember that other beverages also contain water, so that counts too. Just make sure it's not something sugary that causes you to take in unnecessary calories. Otherwise, coffee, tea, juice, crystal light, and everything else still counts towards your daily fluid intake.

The original guidelines asked for "fluid" not specifically water. But after a while, doctors found it easier to just say water when asked what fluids were It has since become a common myth that only water counts as water. The evidence and the best doctors in the world will tell you that it's fluid you are after, and even foods count towards your daily fluid intake. Grapes for example contain a lot of water.

In other words, you are probably getting more than you think
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #4  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

When I'm working from home or just at home, I keep a 6oz plastic tumbler on the windowsill in the bathroom. Every time I use the bathroom, I drink another 6oz on the way out. It's become automatic, and soon builds up.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 181/*ticker*/130

Height: 5'4"

Thanks everyone! Suzanne 3FC: I drink a lot of coffee (2-3 cups a day) and I never thought to count that as my "water" intake! I actually don't drink anything else with my meals besides the occasional glass of water, I just never get thirsty! I think that's been my problem with getting enough fluid intake.
coffeebean267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #6  
I Love Flavored Coffee

S/C/G: 193/170/145

Height: 5'4

I'm allergic to, of all things, aspartame - a.k.a nutrasweet/equal. So out goes the Crystal Light and all those low cal sugar-free drink mixes. Fortunately, I've discovered that Propel doesn't have any of that garbage, and Crystal Light makes a few versions called Crystal Light Fit or something which taste pretty good. Those plus gatorade and coffee are how I hit my required 8 glasses a day.
GoSparkie is offline   Reply With Quote