South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 11-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #1  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Default I'm going to sound like an informercial...this diet does work.

Please forgive me for sounding like an infomercial, but this diet does work!

A little background about me...

I started this diet back in 2008 after losing and gaining a few times in my adult life. I will say that I'm not the most consistent. Life gets in the way from time to time. I have times where I forget to go to the gym (struggling with this one now)...have a little too much cake over the holidays...go on a cruise and eat/drink stuff that I KNOW I have no business eating and drinking. Please understand that I am NOT condoning these sort of behaviors. However, after I've fallen off the wagon (the longest has been three weeks), I usually get back on - a clean phase I for at least 3 days to a week (one of the things I've read in Thin For Life as well as Dr. Agatston's book...a good read if you're interested).

I will be the first to say that I haven't lost as much weight as I'd like...and I take accountability for that. I did, however, have other reasons for starting this diet besides vanity (I do admit that was a reason though). I have a family history of many chronic conditions - diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc.

Since I've been on this diet, each yearly physical I've had has gotten progressively better. I had my physical Friday and received my test results today. Everything was normal - cholesterol, blood fat, sodium levels - but the one I'm most excited about - my blood sugar (fasting) was 85. That is the lowest blood sugar level I've had in MY ENTIRE ADULT LIFE. I think I even had blood sugar readings in the 90s as a teenager, so I might be able to go back even further than that.

So to those of you lacking motivation...wondering if this diet works...I am a real person and it has worked for me! The best thing about this diet, so far, in my opinion, is how it deals with sugar. I TRULY AM a sugar addict. If I start down the path of cookies (and I LOVE cookies) - it escalates. This diet has given me a way to deal with the addiction I have to that white stuff. If I go too far off course, I just go back to phase I until those cravings are gone. I promise you, IT WORKS - especially for other sugar addicts out there. I've lost weight on this diet - and two years later, I am NOT back at 283 - my highest adult weight ever. The last time I dieted back in 2005, I lost 38 pounds, but by 2007, I had put it all back on again.

(Now if I could get under 200 pounds I'd run through the street naked and celebrate...just kidding...but I'd be tempted. )

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 11-03-2010 at 10:03 PM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #2  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Congratulations on your wonderful progress! Your post is very inspiring. Your Doc must be very happy with your progress too.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:38 AM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Great news and an inspirational post. I'm always impressed by your persistence. Every month I see you on the exercise challenge, you never give up on yourself.

I second the Thin For Life recommendation. I read it after I started maintaining but think it's worth reading as soon as you make a decision to really change things. Hm, maybe it's time for a reread around here. thanks!
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:55 AM   #4  
Be happy.

Congratulations!

Health (rather than vanity) was my motivation for starting SBD, too. Bt wearing smaller clothes sure feels better, doesn't it?

Thank you for the encouraging post.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #5  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

It's always good to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself to the newcomers. Super fantastic news about all your bloodwork!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #6  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

Congrats, girl!
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 273/see ticker/200

Height: 5'4

Thanks for SUCH an inspirational message, I really needed that today after I caved and had a sandwich for lunch (on a white sub roll, UGH!) My highest adult weight is 281 and I'm hovering around 256-258 right now. I just need the motivation to keep going. Thank you for helping!!
jewels2730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #8  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Thanks everyone for the supportive words. AND I AM GOING TO THE GYM TODAY

Jewels - one of the things that I've come to terms with on this diet is that if you fall off the wagon - get up and get back on. There were a number of times in the past with other diets where I fell off the wagon and stayed there on the ground eating everything in sight...LOL. With me, that sandwich for lunch would turn into a pizza with fries and beer for dinner (well, I blew it...might as well "blow it right")...that turns into a whole week's worth of eating crap...then I'm right back where I started.

There will be times where you decide to indulge (November 25, anyone?)! I have been taking the approach that it's just the one meal, and THAT's it. One of my biggest challenges with that though, is leftovers. Usually I take them to work and let people scavenge over them.

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 11-05-2010 at 10:53 AM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #9  
SouthBeacher Phase 2

S/C/G: 315/297.6/175

Height: 5'10"

I can completely relate to what you are saying. Thank you for your timely post. I am going to pick up Thin for Life as well. I keep telling my family this is not a "diet" that I/we are on. This is a lifestyle change. My husband gets made if he sees me eat something that he knows I should not (which has not happened very often) because the healthy food costs so much...but I keep saying to him, this is a lifestyle change, I am not going to use that 1 unhealthy choice as an excuse for a lifestyle of unhealthy eating...I am going right back to healthy eating. Which makes that unhealthy choice okay ONCE IN A WHILE!!!
Arctic Stamp Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Thank you SO MUCH for the post. I'm struggling w/ how badly I was off-plan this weekend, but I'm going to get right back to it (I made sure to eat on-plan tonight). This is my lowest weight in my adult life and it's ALL thanks to my doctor's suggestion to try South Beach. I have to admit I was reluctant at first and I thought the whole "detox" thing was a bunch of BS. But I knew before Phase I was complete that it wasn't BS and that this was the diet for me. Whenever people speak about losing weight, I always tout the benefits of SB. If I can point anybody else in the right direction, like someone did those of us here, I feel like I've blessed them. SB has changed my life...and that's no joke. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

Hey Natasha, I ate badly today and I know now not to do that because it's not worth it. Let's move on from this!
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:36 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodObsessed View Post
Hey Natasha, I ate badly today and I know now not to do that because it's not worth it. Let's move on from this!
It's a deal!!! *high five*
Old 11-07-2010, 11:38 PM   #13  
Rebelwithacause

S/C/G: 300/249/175

Height: 6'

Welcome back Nat, we missed you
TallandThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:38 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallandThin View Post
Welcome back Nat, we missed you
Thanks!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 274/274/180

Height: 5'6

Your words are so inspirational, and I agree with them all. I started this way of eating because of vanity (mostly) but I quickly realized that I was actually making myself into an old lady with all the junk I was eating. I love losing weight and fitting into clothes, but what's really hooked me on this diet is the way I feel- just like my old, young self again!
tab23 is offline   Reply With Quote