Old 11-04-2010, 06:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Default Food and coping with health problems and pain...

Some of you know that I have been dealing with a foot that needs surgery and two health related delays in that surgery. That I injured my other foot (formerly known as the 'good foot'). I started Physical Therapy of the other foot so I can finally have this surgery and have a good leg/foot to stand on.

Doctor gave me a new brace for this other foot. I felt 'new pain' from it and freaked out and overate. I think I'll have to ease into it adding a few hours a day.

Do you have any ideas for the best way to cope with pain and alot of stress of dealing with it all - without overeating. I don't want this to continue. Eating is such a 'gut reaction' for me in relating to pain.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-04-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:08 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It's not the pain, it's the panic. How about pain medications? I don't mean narcotics, I just mean some aspirin, Motrin, Tylenol, etc. with a good amount of water. Check with your doctor about what you ought to take to relieve pain, and then follow instructions.

Also, check with your doctor about whether the pain is normal. It could be that something needs adjustment with the brace. They aren't always correct the first time.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh Beverly, I am so sorry to hear this.

On top of what Jay said, as far as not overeating at this time - for me - it's all in the planning, the planning, the planning. Write out your food plan for the day, in advance.

That - and I have totally separated my food from everything else going on in my life. I eat what I eat. It doesn't change regardless of the circumstances. It's pretty much set in stone. I've not only made it habitual, but I've made it ritual.

Make sure to have some extras on tap - 20 calorie hot chocolate, soothing herbal teas.

I hope you get some relief quickly.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Ugg, so sorry you are going through this! It seems like you can't get ahead.

I think Jay and Robin have given you better advice than I can. I just hope you get some relief soon!
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #5  

Thanks to you all for your support and ideas.

I will plan (I always do) my food for the day. And use every 'trick' up my sleeve. Robin - I will aim to just make the food a part of the day separate from my health concerns.

Jay ell - You hit the nail right on the head...it IS about the panic more than the pain. I will ask the physical therapist today about the new brace and any discomfort it causes. If it isn't calming down, I'll call my surgeon. I can use tylenol and ice to control it.

findingfawn - thanks.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:40 AM   #6  

The physical therapist said that the pain/discomfort from the new foot/ankle brace might be from my foot 'getting used' to being in a new position. I should give it some time and take it from there. (ice it every few hours and do my new foot/ankle exercises)

I 'made' myself meditate yesterday. It was hard...but, it was helpful.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 11-05-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #7  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Pain is awful! I have fibromyalgia, which is chronic widespread pain. When I get a flare I also want to eat. I gained weight right before I came back here cuz I was in an awful month long flare.

Anyhow, I have gotten back to tracking, and I usually track for most or all of the day in the morning and then I am very strict with not eating anything not already tracked. I know if I eat it, I'm going to track it and I REALLY don't want to see the cals on my tracker move up because I know in a day or two the weight on my ticker will move up too!

ha

I am trying very hard this time to separate food for nourishment and food for 'eating my feelings' as it were.

It's difficult! It also takes a lot of thinking, thinking about what you're thinking, ha, feeling, why you're eating, why you have a craving, why you want to eat. Panic is an emotion like any other that drives us to eat, just try and be VERY MINDFUL.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote