Old 11-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Default Replace shortening in recipe

I know this has probably been asked more than once, but I usually don't have luck with the Search feature.

I have the best Banana Bread recipe that I already use whole wheat flour in and would love to "healthy it up" even more! It calls for butter flavor Crisco. Could I completely replace that with applesauce?? I don't really want to try pumpkin. I know I could (maybe) just use canola oil or something like that (even exchange on amounts?), but wondered if applesauce might lend an interesting flavor to the bread.

Any input appreciated. Thanks!
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 266/264/150

Height: 5'5"

Yes! Use applesauce! I use applesauce to replace any oil called for in recipes, and it works just fine! I actually made banana bread using applesauce recently, and it turned out great!
I use applesauce in cakes and breads whenever I can. You just substitute the applesauce for the same amount of oil it calls for. 1 cup of oil = 1 cup of applesauce, etc.
I cannot tell any taste difference when using applesauce. It still tastes the same!

Last edited by LindsayW; 11-02-2010 at 12:37 PM.
LindsayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #3  
Mini Goal 2 reached!

S/C/G: 164/142.5/135

Height: 5'6.5"

yeah, but oil and applesauce have a similar consistancy, will the results be the same with crisco? Shortening is more a paste than a liquid... I'd like to know too!
Andejean is offline   Reply With Quote