Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Default Does sugar affect mood/sadness?

There's nothing available here in my house except boxes of cookies, plain yogurt, potato chips and white bread. My DH + FIL are remodeling and I can't get into the kitchen (literally, I can't step onto the tiles for 48 hours). We have no fridge, no freezer, no stove. So sure enough, I have eaten this crap for 2 days now and I just feel... low. It's hard enough entertaining a 5 month old in a tiny confined space (living room with a freakin' oven in the way of the TV). I feel like I am CRASHING from this sugar. I feel sick from it.

He is an old man set in his ways and refuses to touch a veggie, and OH freaks if I try and buy/prepare something that isn't sugar because it's making a scene.

Urgh.

Last edited by sacha; 11-01-2010 at 03:07 PM.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #2  
Marianne

S/C/G: 310/285/135

Height: 5'4"

I think it definitely does. I could be wrong though.

I would tell him to shove it. He doesn't have to eat it...but you shouldn't be forced to eat his garbage either.
mmel3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #3  
losing and schmoozing

S/C/G: 175/ticker/155

Height: 5' 6"

Go to the market and bring home your own healthy choices... for yourself. No need to disturb others' eating habits; no need to sacrifice your own! Good luck!
cornellchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #4  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi. Let me tell you a little story. I hate doing this because I hate confession Mondays and I usually have nothing major to confess anyway, BUT Saturday and Sunday I probably consumed a total of 10000+ (yes, ten thousand) calories in sugar/chocolate brownies, candy, cookies and pure crap. Last night I felt TERRIBLE. I had the worst acid reflux. Something I have not had in over 2 years. My heart was beating a million miles per minute, I had one of the worst anxiety attacks I have ever had and had to sleep most of the night in a chair.

Today I have cried at least 3 times so far, I have felt like I could puke most of the day. I am dizzy shaky and bloated and have had the WORST smelling TMI stuff ever. NOpe, and it's not PMS. I totally feel like I could die right now. I have not felt this bad in years and to tell you the truth, I don't know why I did it...I just started and didn't stop until I was sick. Wow...I truly never thought I would do this to myself ever again. The only good thing about all of this is at least I didn't break down and drink and smoke along with the binge from ****. I probably would be dead if I would have gone "all the way." I hate myself today.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 11-01-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #5  

Wow Lori, thank you for sharing. We are all human. It sounds no different than a recovering alcoholic or drug addict describing their relapse.

Today is Monday, let's say we both move on and not forget what happened - but change what will happen today.

And thanks yes, I will take my baby to the store soon when he wakes from his nap and get some real food, even if it's from a can - there's got to be something.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #6  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
There's nothing available here in my house except boxes of cookies, plain yogurt, potato chips and white bread. My DH + FIL are remodeling and I can't get into the kitchen (literally, I can't step onto the tiles for 48 hours). We have no fridge, no freezer, no stove. So sure enough, I have eaten this crap for 2 days now and I just feel... low. It's hard enough entertaining a 5 month old in a tiny confined space (living room with a freakin' oven in the way of the TV). I feel like I am CRASHING from this sugar. I feel sick from it.

He is an old man set in his ways and refuses to touch a veggie, and OH freaks if I try and buy/prepare something that isn't sugar because it's making a scene.

Urgh.
eating crap makes me feel like crap. I can eat a little and be fine, but I find the "cleaner" I eat, the more stable my moods are. Without a doubt. A little treat now and then is fine, but if I spend the weekend eating refined sugar and such, I just feel dragged down.

Also - you are 5 months post pardum? Your hormones are still out of wack. I am pretty sure I had PPD starting when my son was 4 months old - meaning the hormones didn't get to me at first. They waited a bit and then snuck up on me. Eating well and getting a bit of exercise will help.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #7  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Hi. Let me tell you a little story. I hate doing this because I hate confession Mondays and I usually have nothing major to confess anyway, BUT Saturday and Sunday I probably consumed a total of 10000+ (yes, ten thousand) calories in sugar/chocolate brownies, candy, cookies and pure crap. Last night I felt TERRIBLE. I had the worst acid reflux. Something I have not had in over 2 years. My heart was beating a million miles per minute, I had one of the worst anxiety attacks I have ever had and had to sleep most of the night in a chair.

Today I have cried at least 3 times so far, I have felt like I could puke most of the day. I am dizzy shaky and bloated and have had the WORST smelling TMI stuff ever. NOpe, and it's not PMS. I totally feel like I could die right now. I have not felt this bad in years and to tell you the truth, I don't know why I did it...I just started and didn't stop until I was sick. Wow...I truly never thought I would do this to myself ever again. The only good thing about all of this is at least I didn't break down and drink and smoke along with the binge from ****. I probably would be dead if I would have gone "all the way." I hate myself today.
Lori, I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. Do you know what set things off? The "tone" of some of your responses to people last week didn't quite "sound" like you usual self. Is everything ok?
Old 11-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCraver View Post
eating crap makes me feel like crap. I can eat a little and be fine, but I find the "cleaner" I eat, the more stable my moods are. Without a doubt. A little treat now and then is fine, but if I spend the weekend eating refined sugar and such, I just feel dragged down.

Also - you are 5 months post pardum? Your hormones are still out of wack. I am pretty sure I had PPD starting when my son was 4 months old - meaning the hormones didn't get to me at first. They waited a bit and then snuck up on me. Eating well and getting a bit of exercise will help.
Yes, I had him in June. I had PPD for the first 2-3 months or so which changed when his colic started getting better. You're right, eating well with some exercise does make a big difference. Sorry to hear you went through that - it's really **** on earth. It took me about 3.5-4 months to fall in love with my baby.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #9  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

I totally think it does. A day or two of not watching what I eat and I am in a funk. A day of eating clean and I start to perk back up again.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #10  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
Yes, I had him in June. I had PPD for the first 2-3 months or so which changed when his colic started getting better. You're right, eating well with some exercise does make a big difference. Sorry to hear you went through that - it's really **** on earth. It took me about 3.5-4 months to fall in love with my baby.
My friend has a colicy baby. I don't know how you guys do it! Luckily, my little one has been a pretty happy guy from day one. Now he is getting towards terrible twos! I was able to ease my moods by eating better, exercising and taking an over the counter amino acid supplement. I was about two seconds away from heading to the Dr. when I decided to give the supplement a try. It worked for me. People talk about the over whelming immediate love they feel for their child... I didn't quite get that. I mean, I loved my son from day one... but it wasn't that sudden rush of emotional love I had expected. (maybe b/c I had a c-section after 2 and 1/2 days of labor. IDK. But I definately needed some bonding time.

Exercise... exercise is important. Do it. It will help your mood. Think of it as "your time". It will give you more energy to run after your little one. It has really become a very important part of my life as a mom.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post

Me too Lori, me too! Started with the baked potato at lunch on Friday, and ended with a whole bag, not box, of sweet tarts yesterday. Not to mention the crap in the middle. From red meat, to chicken, to chips, to candy, to ice cream, to pizza, to chocolate, to sweet drinks, to everything bad under the sun! Sigh. Halloween sucked.
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #12  

Well I went to the store and bought some frozen low cal/low fat frozen meals. Not the most gourmet, but better than sugar cookies as I only have a microwave!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #13  
losing and schmoozing

S/C/G: 175/ticker/155

Height: 5' 6"

Good for you! Sounds like a good stopover until you have your real kitchen back.
cornellchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Lori-
I am so sorry this happened. You know what you need to do and you will do it.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #15  
emaline29

S/C/G: 226/202/154

Height: 4'11"

Hi Sacha, Totally know how you feel. Had my kitchen refurbished a short while ago so I know the hassle only too well. Used to go on eating binges myself and actually prepare for feeling really bad the next day - can't believe I used to do that!
Hope you continue in your healthy options.
emaline29 is offline   Reply With Quote