Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

Default I can NOT get motivated!!

I'm doing Atkins and my results have been good but I know if I exercise it would help the pounds melt off faster. The problem is, I can not motivate myself to get up and move! Right now would be a perfect time--I could get up and do Walk Away the Pounds or go for a walk outside (the weather is nice). I have a lot of weight to lose and I have hardly exercised a day in my life. I am extremely out of shape and it's hard and discouraging to even move around for 20 minutes. I know that the only real advice here is just "get up and do it" but it seems impossible. How can I motivate myself to just do it?
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/284/160

Height: 5' 8 1/2"

I struggle a lot with this too, so hopefully other people have good ideas as well.

One thing that's worked for me in the past is to change the time I get to decide I'm not working out. (Stick with me here for a minute). I would schedule a time to workout. Then when that time came around, the only time I could decide I wasn't going to work out was after I had changed into the clothes I would need to wear and was outside (or wherever I needed to be--at the gym, etc.)

Usually, by going that far, I was way more motivated to just do it.

I don't know if that helps at all. In fact, I need to start doing that again.
MinniePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #3  
~~transforming Diva~

S/C/G: 368-heaviest 299/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

I just started with very small changes. At the grocery store park a few spaces further then you normally would. At a department store, furniture store, etc walk up and down each aisle in the store. As you do this, it will become easier to move. One day you will notice that it is becoming easier and you can add something else. I know how so very hard it is to begin moving when you haven't for so very long. When I was at my heaviest I would walk one block and be in excruciating pain. That was the wake up call for me. Walk around the house on commercials. or you could by a pedometer and set small goals each day for how many steps you are going to walk. Other then that, you really do just have to get up and do it. set small rewards for yourself (that ARE NOT food), little inexpensive things that just add something nice to your life. What is the physics law?? Once something is in motion it stays in motion??
WillsAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:22 AM   #4  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Linsy, I know exactly what you mean. I was finding it hard to get motivated again and to get back to the gym. What I did was start off with walking for ten or twenty minutes. Just do what you can do and feel comfortable with.
Imagine how good you'll look and feel after you exercise. Think natural high!

Once you do small changes you'll feel more motivated and want to increase what exercise that you do. What's motivating me to do something these days, is just knowing that I have a goal to reach, and I need to up the exercise in order to get there.I hope this helps!
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:42 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Start by shutting off the computer.
Then put on your socks.
Then your shoes.
Then your coat.
Then throw a minor tantrum "I don't waaaaannnnnnaaaaaaaahhhhhh."
Then say "you don't have to want to. you just have to go."
Then pout and roll your eyes and stomp outside.
Then start walking.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

LOL. Seagirl, were you watching me through the window yesterday? That was pretty much what I did.
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #7  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Linsy, if 20 mins is daunting, and I totally GET that, two ways to go.

Either find a way to pass the time, like get an audio book (library has playaways, which are portable players with a book preloaded, they loan for free just like a regular book, you just need a pair of ear phones..our library sells them for $1 each..easy!), and you ONLY get to listen to it when you're walking, for example. Then set a time each day, EVERY day, rain or shine (walk inside your house if you have to..no, really!), and stick to it. I find it easiest to work out in the morning, that way it's done, and no matter what happens the rest of the day, I did that right. If I wait, it's much harder to break out of "real life" mode and take time for me. If you don't like audio books, then you could listen to a favorite radio show, or music, learn a second language, whatever appeals, but just something to distract your mind and make that time more fun. 20 mins will pass quickly with a good book playing in the headphones.

Second approach would be to start REALLY small. Like, walk to the mailbox or the curb and back, or set a timer for 3 minutes, or put on a song and walk for just the length of ONE song, then done! Excercise? Check! Pat on the back. Do that every day for as long as it takes for that to become a habit, easy, nothin' to it, then add to the time just a little, one more song, go for 5 minutes instead of 3, or walk to the corner and back instead of just to the curb.

You can do this with exercise dvds, also. Instead of doing the whole thing or nothing, do just the warm-up or the first 5 minutes, whatever seems so ridiculously easy, you can't think of an excuse not to do it. Leave it in the player, and set it up the night before, after you wake, go to the bathroom, turn the coffee maker on, go to the tv, do the warm-up, turn it off, pat on the back, then have your coffee and get on with your day. Voila! After a week or two of that, I bet it seems just as easy to do just the first few minutes of the "workout" portion, do that for a week, and so on.

The first time I ever had any success with daily exercise, I did 15 crunches, every morning, BEFORE I got out of bed. Just woke up, did 15 crunches in my jammies, that was it. When other "good intentions" fell by the wayside, I kept that up, because it was just too easy not to. I didn't need shoes or a water bottle or anything, and it felt good to do at least that much, every day, first thing, no matter what. Eventually, I dropped it because other workouts were in place, but that was my first success, so if you can find something like that, whether it's crunches, a short walking session, or 5 minutes of a dvd before you'll let yourself have coffee, just find something and do that.

No, it won't burn 500 calories, but it will help you start to feel good about yourself, your belief in your ability to keep your word, give you success at establishing a routine, and even a few minutes will start to build a little strength. I got really good at crunches, let me tell you.

So, there are two ideas on how you could start. You could do one, or both. You could take a 20 minute walk with an audio book (you could probably do an audio book with your WATP dvd muted, too), and do 15 reps of some ab exercise, or push-ups against a wall. The biggest thing is just to start with whatever you can handle, emotionally, not just physically. If it seems too hard, if it's "all or nothing", often we just end up doing nothing, but if you can just start, then it gets easier to keep going, a little longer, a little faster, as you get more fit and start feeling good about it. You could even go do something, right now, 3 minutes, and be done for the day. Hint-hint..
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:01 AM   #8  

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

LOL, seagirl My husband says that's me when I have to workout.
peace4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #9  
banned

Great advice, jamsk8r! I think I will try the dvd one. What's 5 minutes, right?
3FCer344892 is offline   Reply With Quote