South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Extra sensitive to......?

Does anyone else find that there are certain foods that they are especially sensitive to, even ones that are ok on P2 ? Sometimes I feel like P2 is taking forever, just trying to identify my worst triggers. When I get insane cravings I just don't have the self discipline to not give into them, so if I eat a trigger food I give in to the cravings, then seem to spend several days trying to get back to where I was previously, craving free.

For me, I seem ok to eat rice, (brown basmati in a very small portion) and I can handle quinoa well, but bread and oatmeal are terrible for me. They both set off cravings almost immediately after I've eaten them. Actually, thinking about it, I do have to be careful with pasta so maybe wheat is a problem for me generally, plus oats.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else finds that they just have to stay away from certain foods, even those that are permitted on P2.
Artemis__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I definitely have problems with wheat. I am sure others will chime in here too. I'm sensitive to all grains a bit but wheat is the worst.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:41 PM   #3  

Hi Cyndi, thanks for your reply. Are you ok with quinoa?
Old 10-30-2010, 09:02 PM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I'm ok with quinoa, rice and certain breads. I don't eat oatmeal. Every time I think I'll have a bowl (usually for lunch), I go on a wild carb binge and eat everything I can find.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

I haven't been adventurous on this diet. I stick with fruit but I will say, that I plan to have rye or whole grain bread with steak for my first reward goal in November!
BellaLucia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #6  
It will be MY turn too!

S/C/G: 254.2/243.0/180

Height: 5'4.5"

You know it is weird. I'm losing weight on this diet but I don't seem to be as sensitive to foods like I used to be while on Atkins. Perhaps it is because I've accepted this diet as a slower weight-loss diet... so I don't stress out about every little non-movement in the scale like I used to?

I did stall for a whole week related to some mexican food I couldn't quite identify but since the scale got moving again it was minor.

There are a few things that make me want to dive for the nearest overeating binge. Bacon I have trouble eating because I can easily eat half a package on my own. 2 pieces? Bah! Whatever!!
Some s/f drinks like generic crystal light will make me eat to quell carb cravings, some won't.

Been a ride! Thankfully I can have some ww/flax/wheat bran homemade bread from the bread machine! And it doesn't stall me
ladywyyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:41 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxiss View Post
I'm ok with quinoa, rice and certain breads. I don't eat oatmeal. Every time I think I'll have a bowl (usually for lunch), I go on a wild carb binge and eat everything I can find.

The first time I did a successful P1, back in 2005, it was oatmeal that was my downfall. I introduced it in P2, thinking it was harmless. Oh boy...it triggered a carb binge that lasted about 3 days. That was enough to make me give up on SBD. I didn't understand SBD well enough back then to realise it had been the oatmeal that triggered me. It was only when I looked back through my food journals a year later that it occurred to me that oatmeal was a potential problem. I tried it again and the same thing happened. I haven't eaten it since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodObsessed View Post
I haven't been adventurous on this diet. I stick with fruit but I will say, that I plan to have rye or whole grain bread with steak for my first reward goal in November!
If you're at all sensitive to carbs, it's a great idea to have them with protein when you reintroduce them. Enjoy it!
NIce to meet you ,BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywyyn View Post

You know it is weird. I'm losing weight on this diet but I don't seem to be as sensitive to foods like I used to be while on Atkins. Perhaps it is because I've accepted this diet as a slower weight-loss diet... so I don't stress out about every little non-movement in the scale like I used to?

I agree with you, and think this is a very important point!
Nice to meet you.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:25 AM   #8  

Oh something I forgot to mention.
I seem to be able to eat potato, again in small amounts, without any problem. Which is odd because it's way up there on the High glycaemic scale, on both the GI and the GL measurements.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:43 AM   #9  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Almost any amount of wheat seems to make me crave more. It also aggravates my inflammation so I really should just stay away from it.

I had trouble with oatmeal for the first 6 months- 1 year. Now I can eat steel cut oats or oats mixed with other whole grains as long as I have some protein with it. It just doesn't keep me full as well as a good smoothie or egg & bean breakfast does though.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:01 PM   #10  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
....I can eat steel cut oats or oats mixed with other whole grains as long as I have some protein with it. It just doesn't keep me full as well as a good smoothie or egg & bean breakfast does though.
That's it for me, too, Cyndi. When I did try oatmeal for breakfast it didn't last for me like my super duper smoothie/vitamin breakfast did. When I decided I was set for breakfasts with my smoothie I thought, well why not have oatmeal for lunch. That's when I found it was a big trigger for me.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:56 PM   #11  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I avoid eating bread & really don't miss it at all. I don't seem to have a problem with rice, quinoa or oatmeal (which I eat with peanut or almond butter to help it stick with me better). I also have had problems lately with Kashi pizza which has a whole grain thin crust. Maybe it's just because it's pizza, but I'm avoiding it now because it has stimulated some overeating bouts in the past. Oh, also Triscuits are a no-no for me. The rest of the crackers in the box call to me after I eat a normal serving.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: maintaining

OMG yes! I am actually in the process of writing a blog post about this because I really wanted to see how others handle it. Seems to me a lot of people just think that we should be able to eat anything in moderation. But there seem to be foods that just are like crack to me. When I did Weight Watchers years ago we called them redlight foods.

Bread is a big problem for me, even the healthy ones. And I had to get Triscuits out of my house. The protein bars (which lots of people don't really consider SBD approved) are a problem for me too. Oh I could go on and on.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:11 PM   #13  
Rebelwithacause

S/C/G: 300/249/175

Height: 6'

You know I've been thinking about this for several days now. Remember, a few days ago I made the no bake cheesecake cupcakes and ended up eating eight of those little things before I could stop. From the minute I started making them, the craving was terrible and I just had no control over myself.
But that being said, I have had most of the ingredients at one time or another since starting on SB and have no problem with cravings (sf jello, lf cottage cheese, and ff cream cheese). The one ingredient that I hadn't had before was the Cool Whip free. I'm wondering if it is a trigger food for me? Some day when I'm feeling strong, I think I'll try using it in a recipe again to see if I have the same reaction.
TallandThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:18 PM   #14  
Rebelwithacause

FO - What time during the day are you eating your fruit? I see in the book that he doesn't recommend eating it in the morning when first starting phase 2 because it will trigger old cravings. I'm getting close to when I want to start adding one fruit and sure don't want to trigger those old feelings.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:28 PM   #15  
Rebelwithacause

Lex, what does your "super duper smoothie/vitamin breakfast" consist of?