South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-31-2010, 11:37 AM   #1  
Firefly

Default Brand new to SBD

Hi All,
This is my first time attempting this diet. I already know it will be a challenge; I love pasta and breads and am not fond of meats or beans. I tend to eat a relatively healthy breakfast and then get busy and fail to eat until later in the day...then it is a binge fest on sugar and starches

Having said that, I also know that the above mentioned things are a huge reason why I have gained so much weight in recent years. I opted for the SBD because it promotes a lifestyle change, which is what I need. I am also committed to dusting off my gym membership and actually using it.

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions, as well as support from the community. Thanks so much!
Firefli10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 243/199.4/190

Height: 5'8"

Good Morning Firefly, and welcome! That "skipping meals" thing is a big reason for me being here as well. I've gotten MUCH better at eating throughout the day with this plan. I always keep a stash of almonds and/or a cheese stick with me when I leave the house, JIC the binge monster gets ahold of me.

That's rough about the beans, though. They have been a lifesaver for my cravings...

Good luck with your goals! This site is wonderful for ideas and support!
wesley587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:21 PM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Firefli10 and to the beach!

Hmm....advice, suggestions, and support.

There is lots of support here! I would suggest perusing our forum and seeing how it flows and then making yourself a personal commitment as to how you could best fit into the flow. Our Mod, Ruth, often mentions that the most successful beachers post everyday. When I started SBD in May 09, I decided not to question that and I post here every single day, even when I'm not doing or feeling well. I think, especially with the newcomers, that posting a daily menu on the "On Plan" thread is helpful and great for accountability.

Read the book and keep it near for reference until you understand the philosophy. The meal plans are suggestions only, and aren't required to be followed. I think that most of us here have taken the basics of the plan and have modified menus to suit our own personal preferences.

Make a daily food plan and stick with it. Skipping meals and snacks will most certainly encourage that carb binging which you have referred to. Make sure your fridge is stocked with SBD friendly foods which will ensure that you don't hit a wall and be out of approved foods.

I made myself a 6 month commitment OP when I first started. I knew I wanted AND needed to get healthy and understood that it was not going to be an overnight change. If I felt discouraged or disappointed I just plugged ahead BECAUSE of my 6 month pledge. I can tell you that by the time the 6 months had passed, I was as high as a kite! Feeling and looking great and proud of myself for sticking to that commitment. (note I did not lose weight every single week)

As to beans and meat, I eat very little meat anymore. When starting, I ate lots of chicken, beans and tofu. Beans and dairy products will help you through the "SBD Flu" which may hit when you really start detoxing from the bad carbs and sugar. It helps to remember if you start feeling headachy and all around crummy, that the detox is working and you WILL feel better afterwards if you stick to the P1 plan.

I know that the others will chime in.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

to The Beach, firefli10! I'm glad you chose to commit yourself to this lifestyle plan, and totally 2nd the advice that Lexxiss has given you. It is very important to read the book and understand the fundamentals of this plan. Good luck, and please do check in with us daily!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:00 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I refused to try SB when a friend first talked to me about it years ago. I thought I could never do it and definitely loved my bread. Now, I have been on SB almost 3 years and hardly ever eat pasta or bread. This is the only way of eating that has allowed me to maintain my goal weight for any length of time. Most of the time, eating SB is pretty effortless for me, plus I absolutely love what I'm eating and know I am healthier for it. Don't be afraid to try lots of new recipes and new veggies. I am eating things now that I never thought I would love so much (including beans)!
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: maintaining

Welcome Firefly. Part of why I choose SBD is that I also would choose to eat breads and pasta and all sorts of bad carbs, given the option. Having this plan has really gotten me to focus more on veggies and lean protein as an important part of my diet. (As in "how I eat" not as in "losing weight.") Planning is really key so I think if you tend to get busy, you need to pay extra attention to that. Be sure to have good fast options available and maybe make some meals that can be frozen. The crock pot is great too.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 177/144/145

Hi, firefli,

I also hate beans, but for me it's a texture thing. If that's the case with you, here are some suggestions that have worked for me:

1. Puree them and add them to soup. I have always HATED eating bean soups because of the way the beans go "squish" in my mouth, but if you mash or puree them first, you get the nutritional benefits and a thicker soup with out the "squish"
2. Hummus, hummus, hummus (again, no squish)
3. You can roast garbanzo beans until they are dry and crunchy. Spice them however you like.

Welcome to the beach and good luck!
Usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #8  
NikkiFrank

S/C/G: 147/140/130

hi there firefly! You sound just like me and my family. My husband and I just started SBD for the first time last Monday... and we love bread, tortillas, and pasta and pig out primarily in the evenings... to top it off, we like our beer as we are very social people.. I am starting week two of phase 1 today and I have to tell you, I feel like a new person.. we both lost 7 lbs the first week.. we are finding ourselves more hungry throughout the day, but i keep string cheese, turkey peperoni, lean lunch meats (sandwich in a lettuce wrap), nuts (almonds & pistachios), and v8 around for quick fixes. To fill my mexican cravings, i made fajitas and we ate them in lettuce leaves.. yum! For italian, we did the giant portabello mushroom in SBD marinara with goat cheese and pine nuts..OMG, delicious and filling!! It really works.. Along with the diet, I am doing interval walking.. I walk three minutes moderate pace and one minute really fast for 20 minutes (got it out of womens world magazine)..

I am happy and excited!! hope this helps! it really works!
nikki1823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #9  
SouthBeacher Phase 2

S/C/G: 315/297.6/175

Height: 5'10"

You have taken a giant first step by joining here. Keep coming back for support, encouragement and education. I have learned so much here. Practical advice that I can use and apply to my life on a daily basis. Welcome!!!
Arctic Stamp Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #10  
It will be MY turn too!

S/C/G: 254.2/243.0/180

Height: 5'4.5"

Yay! Welcome!

I think the hardest part to learn for me was planning ahead. Now when I make something it's always in batch. Baggies and tupperware dishes are always on hand ready so I don't worry. I grab and go!

And as for the gym, I'm in the same boat but I know if I want to make it a habit- I have to DO it!

So salud! Welcome and glad you could join us!
ladywyyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:12 PM   #11  
Rebelwithacause

S/C/G: 300/249/175

Height: 6'

Just want to welcome you too and encourage you to come on back as often as possible as it does really help.

I also want to second what has already been said, read, plan, prepare. So important not to be caught short.

Good luck and hoping to hear from you often.
TallandThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #12  

Height: 5ft

I'm new, and I have been reading all the posts and I find so much help. There is so much to learn. I'm on phase two week 1 so far so good I think :-) I hope to meet a lot of you ladies. Is this thread here everyday? Trying to find my place here and know that I can come back often. Thanks so much for being here.
SouthernJudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #13  
Rebelwithacause

S/C/G: 300/249/175

Height: 6'

Good afternoon SouthernJudy . I don't believe this thread is here every day but there are two others that certainly help me. One is the on plan thread and the other usually has a quirky title but it is the daily thread and you will meet some super nice and helpful folks there. Come back often and I know it will help. I married a man from Alabama years ago and my heart has been in the south ever since.
TallandThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:11 AM   #14  

I think tihs diet is healthy. good carbs, good fats. pretty sensilble.
jenjs22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:49 AM   #15  

Height: 5ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallandThin View Post
Good afternoon SouthernJudy . I don't believe this thread is here every day but there are two others that certainly help me. One is the on plan thread and the other usually has a quirky title but it is the daily thread and you will meet some super nice and helpful folks there. Come back often and I know it will help. I married a man from Alabama years ago and my heart has been in the south ever since.
Nice to meet you TallandThin, thank you for the info and I hope I see you now and then. Yes I love the South it's great here and I love the weather too. So funny I'm from Calif but married and came south. I was born and raised in Modesto. Nice to meet you.
SouthernJudy is offline   Reply With Quote