Old 10-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default TMI mid cycle spotting?

Sorry tmi - but everytime I do atkins I get mid cycle spotting. Is this common?it goes away when I add carbs. Anyone know the cause? Thanks!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

lots of hormones can be stored in fat, if you are losing weight quite rapidly and therefore burning tons of fat, it may cause some cycle irregularity. THe atkins book (2002) suggests that if you are losing weight too rapidly that you increase your carbs, right up the carb ladder. Going to OWL quite quickly, should help. YOu likely donlt need to lose weight so fast. Looking at your ticker, you are not terribly overweight so slowing down weight loss might be good.
And kudos to you for getting your weight in hand before it gets out of control, good for you. getting into better shape and size is great for you.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:28 PM   #3  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

When I saw this I was like 'OH MY GOD!'

I've had spotting for two weeks now! And my period was a bit ago, there was a week with no period, and then this.

It still hasn't stopped. I've chalked it up to new birth control but this makes me rethink things. I never thought it could be from my diet.

I'm so tired from having my period! I might add in a few more carbs and see if it slows down.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:22 AM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

fatmad - thanks! that's what I found googling too. I am going to add 5 carbs and see if it gets better I think.

Yeah, I gained just enough to get to the "overweight" bmi and scared myself enough to get it undercontrol. I think it was easier since I put it on really quickly.

Steph - weird! glad i'm not alone!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:35 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 193/182/135

Height: 5'4"

this JUST happened to me tonight too. How odd, but omg I was so glad when it was a topic right here. Never ever ever in my life has this happened! And TOM ended just a week ago. Note to self: don't trust my cycle anymore when telling dh its a safe day, lol!
LoveRyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #6  
Losing the baby weight

LoveRyGuy, same here! I have never ever spotted before in my life. At 23 years old and ovulating since I've been 11 I've always been regular.

I read all the causes of spotting online, but never thought of Atkins. It's been confirmed I'm NOT pregnant, I need to get a pap done but my dang period won't stop. I am on knew birth control so the doctor thinks that's the obvious reason.

I've been on birth control forever, but it makes me paranoid to be on my period all the time. It makes me wonder if it's not working and my fiance has been extra frisky lately.

Maybe I'll try adding a few more carbs today... I am going out to dinner with my friend! She just had a baby and her man is babysitting so we can go out We'll see if that slows anything down.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #7  

ive never been regular, until having my son, but it was 40days between periods, not 6! its crazy, im a little worried now because I told dh it was okay the other night, and now im like not sure whats going on!

eta: i should have known that something was up when i had NO cramps or backache last time!

Last edited by LoveRyGuy; 10-26-2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: eta
Old 10-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #8  
Losing the baby weight

LoveRyGuy, I wouldn't trust the rhythm method if that's what your doing. That's the least effective form of birth control. If your not on birth control you guys should use condoms for a bit until this gets settled (I've had to do that with my fiance when I had a gap between birth control, it sucks but you gotta do what you gotta do to stay barren )
Old 10-27-2010, 08:37 AM   #9  

its actually not the rhythm method, its the fertility awareness method, lol. When it takes 3 years to get pregnant, you kind of figure out how NOT to get pregnant, i just didn't realize the diet would affect it! Glad i know now
Old 10-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #10  
Losing the baby weight

Just an update guys:

My period finally stopped when I increased my carbs. Though I didn't do it in the best way, I am now stuck with the task of planning a wedding in 3 months and I got a little candy happy.

I'm back to eating right but just thought I'd let you guys know it did fix it for me!

(And I won't be around as much because I've got a TON to do!)
Old 10-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #11  

im glad it worked for you!

mine went away on its own, having PCOS, i think maybe it was ovulation spotting.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #12  
Diet and Exercise!

S/C/G: 185/165/135

Height: 5'3"

I've never been regular (due in large part to PCOS, I suspect) but I just started my second period of the month! With no warning! I'm so glad it's not summer and I'm not wearing white pants!

I honestly can't tell the difference between spotting and periods, as nothing is consistent. If it's diet-related, that's quite interesting!

(And I was on bc for 7-8 years, am taking a break from the pill as I'm currently celibate - and not by choice! haha).
fatmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #13  

fatmac- i have PCOS too, Im working if its kind of kickstarting our cycles? I knw it took metformin (glucophage) for me to get pregnant, so maybe the low carb is doing the same thing.