Old 10-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #1  
Motivated IP-er

S/C/G: HW313(2007) 264(IP)/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Personal experiences with regaining ketosis after overeating?

I just fell off the IP wagon for the first time, in a pretty spectacular way. Guess I never do *anything* halfway. If you look at the ratios of what I ate, not too bad - 15% fat, 40% protein, 20% carbs, 24% alcohol (which probably explains the food part). However, it was just over 2000 calories, 38 g fat, 116 g carbs, 227 g protein (eek!). That's what I get for eating *4* IP bars, along with a small bag of pretzel M&M's, and a package of teriyaki beef jerky.

Scale was up 2 pounds today, and I'm *dying* of thirst. Checked this morning, and *definitely* not in ketosis, not that I expected to be, with that much carb load.

For those of you who have "fallen off the wagon" - how long did it take you to get back into ketosis? I've heard 3 days, I heard 5 days (from induction into IP)... what have your experiences been?
sgorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #2  
Started 9/25/10

S/C/G: 310 / 252 / 210

Did you check out the Oops thread?
tedski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #3  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Did you drink alcohol? What exactly did you have? Just the foods you listed?
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165.5/137/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgorny View Post
I just fell off the IP wagon for the first time, in a pretty spectacular way. Guess I never do *anything* halfway. If you look at the ratios of what I ate, not too bad - 15% fat, 40% protein, 20% carbs, 24% alcohol (which probably explains the food part). However, it was just over 2000 calories, 38 g fat, 116 g carbs, 227 g protein (eek!). That's what I get for eating *4* IP bars, along with a small bag of pretzel M&M's, and a package of teriyaki beef jerky.

Scale was up 2 pounds today, and I'm *dying* of thirst. Checked this morning, and *definitely* not in ketosis, not that I expected to be, with that much carb load.

For those of you who have "fallen off the wagon" - how long did it take you to get back into ketosis? I've heard 3 days, I heard 5 days (from induction into IP)... what have your experiences been?

I have a question, no such thing a stupid question right? I hope.
ketosis? still in ketosis even in phase 4? (or when you reach your goal weight) I didn't realize ketosis lasted so long.
ladyvrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #5  
Motivated IP-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedski View Post
Did you check out the Oops thread?
I tried to find to Oops thread, but couldn't - thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs7 View Post
Did you drink alcohol? What exactly did you have? Just the foods you listed?
I wish I could say I didn't drink, but I think the codeine cough syrup did something to my impulse control centers. I had 3 vodka/club sodas... strong ones. The grams of fat/pro/carb are what I had.

I didn't eat enough during the day (was busy at work), had 1 blueberry/cran/pom IP drink, walked 3 miles, then had 1 oz salmon jerky for a snack. Then dinner - 7 oz tuna, 3 oz asparagus, 3 oz sauteed mushrooms, 2 oz zucchini, over arugula (my usual dinner). Then a handful of the pretzel M&M's, followed by an IP strawberry pudding... and then the eating above commenced.

I plan on being back on track today, but I didn't *plan* on going off yesterday. I think it must have been a combo of cough syrup, a tough day leading to 1 drink (which lead to a few more)... and down the rabbit hole I went.

I just can't believe I screwed up this bad.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #6  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
I tried to find to Oops thread, but couldn't - thanks for the link!

I wish I could say I didn't drink, but I think the codeine cough syrup did something to my impulse control centers. I had 3 vodka/club sodas... strong ones. The grams of fat/pro/carb are what I had.

I didn't eat enough during the day (was busy at work), had 1 blueberry/cran/pom IP drink, walked 3 miles, then had 1 oz salmon jerky for a snack. Then dinner - 7 oz tuna, 3 oz asparagus, 3 oz sauteed mushrooms, 2 oz zucchini, over arugula (my usual dinner). Then a handful of the pretzel M&M's, followed by an IP strawberry pudding... and then the eating above commenced.

I plan on being back on track today, but I didn't *plan* on going off yesterday. I think it must have been a combo of cough syrup, a tough day leading to 1 drink (which lead to a few more)... and down the rabbit hole I went.

I just can't believe I screwed up this bad.
Okay don't beat yourself up....but do analyze why this happened. You are in phase 4 right? According to my coach...you should be able to have 1-2 cheat days a week (any food or drink) as long as they are not back to back and keep the weight off. I am not even remotely close to that point so I don't know for sure, but hopefully you had an awesome day today and you will be fine. On Dr. T's website he says after a bad day in the maintainence stage you only need one day to undo the damage (it is one of his quiz questions). Just don't keep it going...forgive yesterday...I am sure there is no permanent damage. When I reach maintainence I plan on drinking once a week. Hopefully I can keep the weight off.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #7  
Skinny girl in training

S/C/G: H 336 Start IP 292/236/170

Height: 5'10

This is interesting... a month ago I was sick and bought some halls cough drops. I was popping them to control a cough while working and didn't even think about their ingredients. Well I white knuckled it the next day but the day after that I just couldn't take it. I went out and got a big cheeseburger, fries, and soda. Ow my stomach hurt afterwards, but the cravings were gone after that and I got back on track. So yup I'm staying away from halls cough drops!
jency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 175/156/140

Height: 5'0"

U girls have just made me afraid! LOL I have been taking cough syrup and cough drops all week. I have switched to sugarless cough drops. hoping I dont have a crash!!

Last edited by lobolexus; 10-28-2010 at 10:25 PM.
lobolexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:38 AM   #9  
Motivated IP-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvrod View Post
I have a question, no such thing a stupid question right? I hope.
ketosis? still in ketosis even in phase 4? (or when you reach your goal weight) I didn't realize ketosis lasted so long.
I usually eat per day: 16-18g fat, 100-120 g protein, 18-25 g carbs. I'm still officially in Phase 1. Even though my original goal weight was 170, I talked to my coach about it, and he recommends 160... I just haven't changed my ticker. Because my original goal *was* 170...

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs7 View Post
Okay don't beat yourself up....but do analyze why this happened. You are in phase 4 right? According to my coach...you should be able to have 1-2 cheat days a week (any food or drink) as long as they are not back to back and keep the weight off. I am not even remotely close to that point so I don't know for sure, but hopefully you had an awesome day today and you will be fine. On Dr. T's website he says after a bad day in the maintainence stage you only need one day to undo the damage (it is one of his quiz questions). Just don't keep it going...forgive yesterday...I am sure there is no permanent damage. When I reach maintainence I plan on drinking once a week. Hopefully I can keep the weight off.
Actually, I'm still in Phase 1, and pretty hard at it since May 18th. Don't even eat any restricted stuff - well, maybe three times I had a tiny bite of stuff for special occasions, but really, hard-core. I have talked to my coach about it, and we are shooting for 160, and then into Phase 2, then 3. He recommended Phase 1 until I'm at 100% loss, so that I can have a little "wiggle room" when I start adding carbs back in again.

I worry that now I may be fixated on a number, like... if I hit 164, I've lost 100 lbs on IP. Or, to take it to an extreme, if I hit 156, I'll be 1/2 my high weight of 313. But I really just want a good number I can maintain, and work on strength and tone... I just am not sure what that number is, yet.

Last edited by sgorny; 10-29-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 192/180/130

Height: 5' 5.5"

Body Builder sites say to take Milk Thistle because it helps dump glycogen out of the liver. It helps to improve liver function.
WannaBeHotMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:09 AM   #11  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:

I wish I could say I didn't drink, but I think the codeine cough syrup did something to my impulse control centers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jency View Post
This is interesting... a month ago I was sick and bought some halls cough drops. I was popping them to control a cough while working and didn't even think about their ingredients. Well I white knuckled it the next day but the day after that I just couldn't take it. I went out and got a big cheeseburger, fries, and soda. Ow my stomach hurt afterwards, but the cravings were gone after that and I got back on track. So yup I'm staying away from halls cough drops!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobolexus View Post
U girls have just made me afraid! LOL I have been taking cough syrup and cough drops all week. I have switched to sugarless cough drops. hoping I dont have a crash!!

Having a cold while on IP stinks!! I had this back in February and again this past week. I am just now crawling back out of my grave!

Try to get SUGAR FREE cough syrup from the pharmacist or pharmacy and SUGAR FREE cough drops. You have to ask but they do make it for diabetics.

If you have a cough syrup, anything equal to nyquil, is 19g of carbs per dose.

If you have halls regular cough drops they are 4g of carbs each.

It doesn't take much and you are out of ketosis.

I am sure that is what has effects you, Susan. Probably what led to the "feast" and alcohol more than the other items feeding the process.

As for getting back on, it has always been hard for me. I usually have not meal and do 4 to 6 IP drinks for the first few days along with just greens and lettuce.

Their is a non IP way to get back in ketosis and that is to just eat eggs and lean meats and zero carb cheese for 3 to 5 days... a "meat feast" if you will... and to stay around 1000 calories a day. It works. It is hard and you eat small amounts about 100 calories worth every hour. It IS NOT much easier and you eliminate nearly all carb.

IP tries to keep you more "balanced" by providing fat and carbs too.

I have to have very low carb to get back in ketosis... closer to 10 carbs a day. It means eating alot of eggs and puddings which is a drag.

You can try something along those lines, using the the lowest carb IP packets only for 3 days.

Some people go back into ketosis in 1 day others can take 10 days. It depends on how much glucose or glycogen stores their body created.

I hope you are feeling better.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 10-30-2010 at 02:09 AM.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:36 AM   #12  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
Having a cold while on IP stinks!!
In a word. You were much missed; and I'm sorry about the reason. For crying out loud, Carla. If you were going to take a sabbatical why didn't you pick something more lively, more invigorating?
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote