Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/120

Height: 5' 2"

Default Almond Butter

I tried it last night on a couple of rice cakes, not so good. I'm hoping its cause I had just bought it and it was warm and the oil was still on top. I put it in the fridge hoping it tastes better cold.

Have you tried it? What you think of it? I'm hoping to get used to it since its way better for you than reg peanut butter.
JennieGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I really like almond butter. I like it on apples, celery, etc. It may be an acquired taste and it isn't quite the same as peanut butter.

If you don't like almond butter, there are other nut butters that may be more to your liking.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #3  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

did you stir it? natural peanut or any nut butter has to be stirred. it's much harder to stir when it's cold.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #4  

I stirred, it was just plain tasting and the texture was gooey, but I do like almonds so I'll keep trying it. Esp or what the difference is in the fiber n carbs, I'm def not giving up on it yet.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #5  

Height: 5'4''

Just because you like the nut doesn't mean you'll like its butter. Many almond-lovers can't stand almond butter. Almond butter is only somewhat, not way healthier for you than natural peanut butter.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

I don't like almond butter because it is always ungodly sweet. One time I found a fresh ground no-sugar-added almond butter and that was delicious. I've never seen it again

I think regular peanut butter is too sweet too. I'm often amazed at how people get used to having sugar in EVERYTHING.

Last edited by Bombe; 10-27-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #7  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombe View Post
I don't like almond butter because it is always ungodly sweet. One time I found a fresh ground no-sugar-added almond butter and that was delicious. I've never seen it again

I think regular peanut butter is too sweet too. I'm often amazed at how people get used to having sugar in EVERYTHING.
Really? I've never seen almond butter with sugar added. Have you looked at your local health food store?
Old 10-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #8  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

My hunny likes it. The store we shop at has these big grinders, and in them almonds and peanuts So we get it ground fresh. He has his on celery. I am allergic so I stick with the peanut butter. Kids not liking the fresh natural stuff so much, they keep asking for the "real" peanut butter HAHA
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:33 AM   #9  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I consider this one of my pantry staples.

I think I've only been able to find two brands. One is sold in natural food stores & the better grocers, and I'm blanking on the name. Something-something Farms, I think. I can picture the label with its line drawing, colored panels & lettering. It's not cheap.

The other is Trader Joe's. And boy do they ever have almond butter. I think they offer at least four kinds, broken out in creamy or crunchy, raw or toasted, or whether salt is added, but none of these have sugar. I do find the raw crunchy is naturally sweet, but that seems to come from the almonds themselves.

See, I'm interested that Jenniegrl hates it, because I love it. Too much, in fact. I love it so much that I must portion out tablespoons full of almond butter on toast or muffins or in oatmeal VERY carefully, because I could easily binge on this stuff. Leave me alone with a spoon & a jar, & if my state of mind were desperate enough ... it wouldn't be pretty. You might find me the next morning, slumped on the kitchen floor, with a completely empty jar & no memory of what happened after the lid came off.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #10  

I'm like that with reg PB (reduced fat actually). I've never done it, but I could easily sit in front of the tv and eat the whole jar without realizing it. I bought this at stop n shop. It's natures promise i believe. Thanks for the tip on Trader Joes. I'll hit it up over the wkend. thanx
Old 10-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Marantha is what I enjoy, already stirred, no added sugar. Like saef, I must doll it out. I put it in with cottage cheese and mixed berries on Mondays & Wednesdays. These mornings the family has oatmeal which DH makes, and to my brief sorrow, I discovered oatmeal isn't as good for me as this dish is. Almond butter helps me forget oatmeal quite easily. Maybe the berries are sweet enough for me.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #12  

I tried it again last night. This time it was cold and a bit hard. Tasted much better
Old 10-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #13  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

You all BUY it? Really? I almost picked some up the other day until I realized it was $14 for the jar and I wasn't sure I'd like it!

I make my own. It's so simple. I buy a bag of UNsalted roasted almonds for $3.75 at Aldi. Throw it into the food processor with a little olive oil and run the machine six minutes. It comes out pretty liquidy. I personally like to add honey to it and then pulse the blade a few times to mix. This thickens it to a nice consistency but you have to take care because if you add too much or mix too much the consistency will be too hard.

This stuff is like dessert! I especially like it freshly made because the food processor agitation makes it warm.

The only con I can find to making my own is that clean up is difficult. This stuff does not clean off the food processor or any container in the dishwasher. It does not dissolve, ever. I wipe whatever it has touched clean with a paper towel before putting in the dishwasher.

Last edited by Eliana; 10-28-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #14  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Wow, really, $14? Trader Joe's brand is probably half that. And even the store brand that I consider expensive is maybe like $10-$11.

There are some things I'll gladly pay someone else to do, and this is one of them: Grinding almonds.

Heck, I'm lucky if I have time to grind my own coffee in the morning before heading to the office.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:56 PM   #15  
Just Me

Yeah, I think Trader Joe's is $3-$5/jar (not sure of exact price) and a natural food/health food store may be closer to $7/jar