Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-23-2010, 12:21 AM   #1  

Default Sore Post-Workout Muscles?

I did level 1 of JM 30 Day Shred three days ago(without weights) and my legs and ankles are still sore, and I've just been able to stretch since. This was my first true exercise session in months. Before then, the most I would do is have long walks, sometimes carrying groceries or other considerable loads.

I'm wondering if others have had trouble with muscle soreness when starting a new exercise program, and what can be done to recover faster?

Thanks a bunch!
serendipiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:47 AM   #2  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

yes. this is called DOMS. delayed onset muscle soreness. this happens when you do a workout your muscles aren't used to. this varies from slight tension in the muscles to omg! i can't sit down/walk. often as you move around it helps loosen up the muscles, and with time it gets better. when i have doms i try to think of it as a good thing. i worked hard, and i'm proud! i'm earning those muscles. and the more muscle, the more cals we burn even when we are sleeping or watching tv.

i'm still wondering how you got your ankles to hurt? maybe your shoes aren't supportive enough? never had that one happen.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:48 AM   #3  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

also, it helps sometimes to take a hot bath with epson salts.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:34 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

I worked some muscles that I haven't focused on previously the other day and wow, I had the grace of a gorilla the next day. Stretching, a hot bath, and a day's rest has helped me a bit... beyond that, I'm not sure what else can be done.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

I work out with a trainer and we do partner stretching. She helps me stretch out my legs, particularly. I used to be crippled for 2-3 days after weight training, so it's really helped me. If you have a friend around, maybe they can help? This one helps me the most:

http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com...stretching.php
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm worried about the ankles, but the rest of it is quite normal. I still get this and look forward to it. LOL! Do keep in mind that the body can hold to as much as two pounds of water to repair the tiny tears in the muscles that are causing you pain. The pain should lessen in 1-2 days and for me is usually gone within 3-4 days. They say drinking water helps...I'm not sure. Time usually helps me.

I usually exercise through the soreness. The first five minutes of doing so has me groaning, but then I loosen up and the workout feels pretty good. I stiffen up as the day goes on though. It really is best to keep moving through the soreness, depending on the severity of course.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #7  
Keep Trying

S/C/G: 188/188/148

Height: 5'2"

I just did day 2 of JM. My muscles were really sore last night afterwards. I was also shaking for pretty much the rest of the day. I did not use any extra weights and I had to 'modify' the modified version. I basically have no fitness level right now. I absolutely couldn't do anymore jumping jacks so I did the arms and moved my legs out, keeping my heart rate up and anything except stop.

So you're a day ahead of me. That's awesome that you started. I'm basically just mixing up all my exercise and try to eliminate the time I sit.

Anyway, I understand how you must be feeling. I think I'm going to take some tylenol to help and try to stretch more.

I'm so glad you asked this because so many replied and I hope to benefit from their wisdom.
coad786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #8  

My ankles are sore because I was foolish enough not to work out barefoot. Its not so much the ankle itself, but the tiny muscles and ligaments near it. Luckily, I found my shoes, and will look through my videos and find something to just move around to for the sake of staying active.

Excellent advice ladies, thank you! (gotta add epsom salts to the grocery list)
Old 10-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 214.5/see ticker/132

Height: 5'2''

What helps me a lot, if I get DOMS the next day after exercise I am not used to, is not to rest the next day, but do a lighter walk or some stretching. This helps to decrease uncomfortable muscle aching a lot.
beni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #10  

I think my mistake was taking it too easy after working out. I was afraid to seriously injure myself... thank you for the heads up!
Old 10-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 221/214/200

Height: 5'6

I started this work out yesterday, too. Was excited it was so "quick" and was glad that I was sore this morning- lets me know it is actually doing something!! Hope your muscles feel better soon!
1HauteMama is offline   Reply With Quote