Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #1  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Default Looking for veggies snack ideas

Any suggestions for quick and easy snacks with veggies? I've been really hungry lately and I think I need better snacks in between meals. I feel like I'm getting enough dairy/protein/fruit per day but it would not hurt to up the number of veggies I eat (and seriously, when does that ever hurt?). I normally eat them at meals but I want to start eating them in between meals too.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/ 129 /120

Height: 5'7"

for me(although I'm vegan & LOVE my veggies) found it easiest to eat them raw without any dips or anything. My secret was find a few I like & stick with those, eating almost as many & I want.

For me, bell peppers(colored ones taste better IMO & have more nutrients then they're under-ripe green ones), sugar snap peas & cucumber are the best.
hippy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:30 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I eat veggies all the time as snacks:

-roasted string beans - actually any roasted veggie that I would eat as a side dish, I eat as a snack
-bowl of homemade veggie soup - make a large batch, freeze in individual serving sized containers - load it up with parsnip, sweet potatoes, celery, zucchini, carrots, onions, roasted garlic - I cook it, take out half of it, puree the other half with an immersion blender, put the other 1/2 back.
-Zucchini stew, like a ratatouille, zucchini, onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes - make a large pot in the beginning of the week, eat it all week long.
-veggie egg white omlette - I saute a large amount of veggies - peppers, zucchini, onions, spinach, mushrooms and have it ready to go for omlettes all week long
-raw string beans
-cucumber, tomato, onion salad - dressed with vinegar, salt, pepper, splenda, water..
-grape tomatoes
-raw veggies either on their on or dipped in salsa
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #4  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

I love canned water chestnuts (whole) rinse them and eat them straight up, so darn good and filling and crunch city!

mini carrots & snap peas eat the pod and all
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #5  

I try to keep a salad made up of the broccholi cole slaw mix, cucumber, onion, chopped apple or craisins, shredded carrot maybe, all mixed with a vinegar or citrus, bit of Splenda, and maybe a touch of soy or fish sauce and a few drops of oil (like sesame). That can be in the fridge all week and be tarted up with some chicken chunks or shrimp if I need a protein "mini meal", or a few chopped peanuts or those crisp chow mein noodles. The key is the let the vegetables fill you and the add-ins be just a whisper. I really enjoy this and vary the veggies to keep it interesting.

I also sometimes get a whole bunch of Chinese broccoli (gai lan) or green beans or brussel sprouts and just simmer them in some chicken stock or water. They can be nuked and eaten plain or gussied up with a little Dijon mustard or a favorite friendly dressing. I think people often see cooked veggies as a side dish and ignore the enormous possibilities of them as snacks or mini meals. Veggies soups are also in my arsenal. There was a woman in a Weight Watchers meeting long ago who said she would nuke or steam a whole or half bag of various frozen veggies and toss them with a bit of low fat margarine as her emergency filling snakcl which became a treat for her. Her hubby made fun of her and she only had to ask him how she was looking and feeling and he backed off.

Also since we are in fall- there are myriad recipes using canned pumpkin (you can use pump or winter squash you prep) with just some spice and sweetener that are a vitamin packed and filling snack.

Go veggie team!

Last edited by tommy; 10-15-2010 at 06:35 PM.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

This one is really simple but I love it. I take baby carrots and cut them up and put them on top of plain triscuits. They taste so good, the carrot makes it sweet and the triscuit is crunchy!
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 326/274/190

Height: 5'6"

Baby carrots with laughing cow cheese as a dip is good - you can get a lot of munching for about 50 calories. I like sliced cucumber also - it has virtually no calories.
odonnela is offline   Reply With Quote