Old 10-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/183/135

Height: 5'4

Talking Hi Everyone! New to online support! Quick Question! :D

Hi my fellow veggies!!

My name's Dani and I've been a vegetarian for about 5 years now and I recently made the switch to a vegan lifestyle a few months ago. I'm new to seeking support in online forums but I decided to give it a try! yay!!

I'm 23 and I've been fluffy most of my life. I'm tired of the "if only" and "when I"... I'm ready to start my life because I know I've wasted too much time worrying about losing weight... looking back on everything now, I've always had that mentality that I needed to be thin in order to be able to be myself... I've hidden behind this shell for ages and I'm just tired of it.

Anyway, since starting a vegan lifestyle, I've increased my exercise regime and have lost 21 lbs! I can't believe it!! woot woot!

I'm currently 171 and 5'4...I'd say that my build was medium... (I started out at 192) and my goal weight is 136, which my mom said would be way too much for me to lose! She said I would look like skin and bones. My other friend said that too... my mom seems to think that I just need to lose another ten pounds... but my friend says I should stop at 150... and my doctor told me my ideal weight should be between 125-140. So I'm just confused... can anyone shed some light on this?

thank you!! can't wait to meet some new people!

Last edited by Dannichick; 10-18-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Dannichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/160

Height: 5'4"

Hi Dani! I am about the same height and weight as you are. Over the last few months I've increased my exercise and the scale is not showing much of a change, but my clothes are getting loose. Right now I can wear a size 12 comfortably and get into some 10's. My goal is about 145 lbs at this point, but I am at my lowest weight in my adult life right now so I don't know what to expect. My build is athletic/muscular so it's hard to say. I would just start with 10 lbs and go from there. Don't worry about the scale so much. I think it depends how you feel and how the clothes fit. If you are happy about your size that's all that matters!

I just started eating vegetarian (well, slowly) and phasing out meat. Congrats on your weigh loss so far
Kristi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:31 PM   #3  
it's always something

Welcome to 3FC

You're doing fantastic! You have such a great attitude. I wish I had thought about the "if only" aspect way back when. You'll have no problem reaching your goal

As far as your goal weight goes, I wouldn't worry about it right now! You'll know when you get there, lol. There are so many things that factor into your final goal weight. Most people change their goal several times as they go along, or as they get closer to end. You can aim for a weight, such as 150 or whatever, and then decide if you are happy or if you want to go further. Do you feel healthy and energetic, and do your clothes fit the way you want? You might be there. If not, keep going

Good luck!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:59 AM   #4  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

Hi Danni!

I am about an inch shorter than you so I can maybe give some perspective. I have a small frame but a muscular build. I get pretty happy when I get under 140, so I think 136 is a good goal for you personally. 140 is technically the cut off for being overweight at 5' 3''

I feel better about myself personally in the higher 120's, and throughout college until I was about 25 I weighed in the 110 - 120 range. I personally thought I looked too thin at 110-118, and it was hard to sustain. I tended to eat very small meals (nutrigrain bar for breakfast, noodle cup for lunch, veggie burger for dinner). I can't live on that little food anymore even though for years I did, but then again I also splurged quite a lot eating out dinners and on weekends so my weekly average wasn't that low.

So, long story short - I think 136 is a healthy realistic goal. When you start to dip under 150 you can always reasses based on your preferences for how you look and how much you want to be able to eat.

Last edited by Wildflower; 10-19-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:30 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi78 View Post
Hi Dani! I am about the same height and weight as you are. Over the last few months I've increased my exercise and the scale is not showing much of a change, but my clothes are getting loose. Right now I can wear a size 12 comfortably and get into some 10's. My goal is about 145 lbs at this point, but I am at my lowest weight in my adult life right now so I don't know what to expect. My build is athletic/muscular so it's hard to say. I would just start with 10 lbs and go from there. Don't worry about the scale so much. I think it depends how you feel and how the clothes fit. If you are happy about your size that's all that matters!

I just started eating vegetarian (well, slowly) and phasing out meat. Congrats on your weigh loss so far
Thank you everyone!!!

-Kristi: Thank you so much!! That's true.... I'm kinda obsessive with the scale right now- I weigh myself every morning but I think I need to wean myself off slowly!! Congratulations on your weight loss!!! And good luck with your new vegetarian lifestyle! If you ever have any questions, feel free to ask!! I was a vegetarian for five years before turning vegan.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
Welcome to 3FC

You're doing fantastic! You have such a great attitude. I wish I had thought about the "if only" aspect way back when. You'll have no problem reaching your goal

As far as your goal weight goes, I wouldn't worry about it right now! You'll know when you get there, lol. There are so many things that factor into your final goal weight. Most people change their goal several times as they go along, or as they get closer to end. You can aim for a weight, such as 150 or whatever, and then decide if you are happy or if you want to go further. Do you feel healthy and energetic, and do your clothes fit the way you want? You might be there. If not, keep going

Good luck!
Hi Suzanne! You and Kristi made such good points!! Thank you!! I definitely need to stop worrying a little less about the scale... It's kinda odd but I get excited to see the numbers go down but I think it'd better to do it just once a week!

And yes! I was seriously thinking about it and I realized that I always think/say "If only" and "when I lose" and frankly, I'm tired of it! lol I'm ready to start living my life and not have to worry about being fluffy!!

Thanks again!
Old 10-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflower View Post
Hi Danni!

I am about an inch shorter than you so I can maybe give some perspective. I have a small frame but a muscular build. I get pretty happy when I get under 140, so I think 136 is a good goal for you personally. 140 is technically the cut off for being overweight at 5' 3''

I feel better about myself personally in the higher 120's, and throughout college until I was about 25 I weighed in the 110 - 120 range. I personally thought I looked too thin at 110-118, and it was hard to sustain. I tended to eat very small meals (nutrigrain bar for breakfast, noodle cup for lunch, veggie burger for dinner). I can't live on that little food anymore even though for years I did, but then again I also splurged quite a lot eating out dinners and on weekends so my weekly average wasn't that low.

So, long story short - I think 136 is a healthy realistic goal. When you start to dip under 150 you can always reasses based on your preferences for how you look and how much you want to be able to eat.

Hi Wildflower!

Thank you so much for your input! This site is amazing...everyone is so helpful and the motivation is there! I honestly can't think of when I was ever 136... i must have been a little kid.. So it's just exciting that it is in reach!!

I'll definitely consider my ultimate weight goal once I hit the 150s!

Thank you!!