Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #1  
Keep Trying

S/C/G: 188/188/148

Height: 5'2"

Default can you all guide a newbie

I am trying my best to get started in exercising and making a healthy lifestyle and lose A LOT of weight. I am confused though about how I should get started.

Should I do more cardio on it with less resistance or as much resistance as I can and get that into my aerobic cardio heart rate zone? Should I go slower of faster? Should I shoot to burn as many calories as possible..someone please guide me.

Last edited by coad786; 10-18-2010 at 05:10 PM.
coad786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

What do you like to do? Finding something that you enjoy is important, because you'll keep at it. I've found that more cardio helps take the weight off faster, but resistance training is important to keep lean muscle, so a little of both is important. Hope this helps and good luck on your endeavor.
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #3  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I agree with PP - you have to find something you enjoy so you can stick with it easier.

I find a little bit of everything helps me... I run - some times I focus on doing inclines and intervals. Another day, I might focus on seeing how far I can go doing a slow and steady pace. Then another day, I switch it up and lift heavy things. Then, on Tuesday, I meet up with my girls for a Zumba class.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #4  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

I wouldn't worry about the "what" to get started. As the others have said, find a few things that you like to do & just start moving regularly!

When I started exercising in earnest (last April), my initial goal was to do SOMETHING purposeful (DVD, walking, biking, treadmill, etc.) 3x/week for at least 25 minutes. That felt manageable.

Well, once I started moving, I found that I was really enjoying certain activites and actually wanted to do more! So, I continued to dabble in lots of different activities but increased my frequency to 5-6x/week. I couldn't commit to longer durations because of my work/home schedule.

Eventually I wanted to put some more concrete goals into place, which shaped my workouts a little more. But for me, the main goal still is to just MOVE 4-6x/week for at least 30 minutes. I usually do 45 minute workouts with longer sessions on the weekends, but some days, I just don't have the time.

Good luck to you! There are so many different types of activities that are FUN. I hope you find something that you really look forward to.
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:37 AM   #5  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

yes it's a combo.

cardio burns cal. when you are doing it, and maybe an hour or two after you finsh an intense workout. cardio is also necessary for losing fat, along with low fat diet.

resistance training, building muscles. more muscle means our metabolism is higher. having a higher metabolism burns much more cal/day than any single workout. so although it doesn't burn many cal while you are doing it, it's worth it to build muscle.

you might try doing a circuit or interval training. alternating cardio and resistance exercises. can use a dvd or just do jumping jacks between lifting.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #6  
Keep Trying

S/C/G: 188/188/148

Height: 5'2"

Thank you..

I think I'll start with just getting some exercise in and making some sort of routine of something I can sustain.
coad786 is offline   Reply With Quote