Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #1  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Default What could cause this?

I've been running for a little over 10 months now and this has just started within the past month. I'll get cramps or spasms in my thighs that are really debilitating.. they come on very suddenly and only last between 5-10 seconds.

This does not happen when I run but rather the next day or day after. I haven't hurt anything... I stretch well after I run and do a long warm up and cool down. It's not a lack of calcium cramp, I get approx 4 servings of milk and products a day (recommended for me is 2) I usually take vit D also but I've just ran out. I average a banana a day plus other fruits & veggies and I don't like salty foods.

I also drink a ton of water, I usually drink almost 96 oz during the work day. That doesn't include milk drank through the day and water with dinner. Could I be drinking to much? I sweat quite a bit when I run and I've wondered if I could be throwing off my levels (sodium etc) even through my average run (with warm up & cool down) is only about 50-55 minutes.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Aunty Jam; 10-17-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I have no clue but wanted to give a and hopes that you can get it figured out.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #3  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

My guesses are potassium or sodium but I'm far from a medical expert. The pain sounds awful....hope you feel better soon.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #4  
Army Medic

S/C/G: 210/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

It could be an electrolyte imbalance. You could maybe try eating an orange or by having some of a sports drink a half an hour to an hour before running and also after. It could also be an injury to the muscle itself. I'm not a physician yet though, and without direct examination it's a little difficult to really assess anything. You can drink to much water and wash yourself out, but the fact that it takes so long until you experience the cramping is throwing me off a little.
stucky1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

My non-medical suggestion would be that you have a small can of V-8 juice in the mornings. Not the low-sodium version, just the regular.

I suspect that your sweating and drinking water is throwing off your salts, and that's not just sodium and potassium, there are a lot of others.

I hope you find an answer! Oh, one more thought--are your shoes getting worn? Or if they are new, are they different from what you're used to?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:19 AM   #6  
from Here to There...

S/C/G: 256.2 lbs/241.2 lbs/120 lbs

Height: 5'4"

If, like me, you don't like the Gatorade type drinks, you might try drinking coconut water. It is really good at helping re-establish electrolyte balance (they call it nature's Gatorade). If it's an electrolyte imbalance, that should help.
SeaWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #7  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Aaawwww... for everyone. Thanks for the support, this place is wonderful!

I was kind of thinking along those lines also... I've injured myself before and it really doesn't seem like an injury to me. The pain comes no matter what I'm doing, sitting, standing, walking.. etc. Also it's in the middle of my thigh and it doesn't bother me except for those 10 or so seconds.

I got my shoes in the begining of August and they have done wonders for me.. my old shoes were OLD and not fit for running.

I think I'll try a sports drink, I don't mind them... Maybe half of one to start with. V8 is alright but I really don't like salt, eh, I'm going shopping today, maybe I'll grab one of each and see which one I like better

Thanks for everyone's suggestions... cross your fingers for me!
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #8  
Kicking the soda habit

S/C/G: 214/204/165

Height: 6'0"

Oh no- leg cramps are the worst. I get them after I push myself. They usually wake me up in the middle of the night the day after a long walk or a tough workout. Mine are usually in my calves- similar to when I had growing pains as a teenager.

I have been told it's a potassium imbalance and to drink a big glass of water with a banana. I guess it helps- it's hard to tell if I'm not getting them because they weren't going to cramp anyway, or if it was from eating a banana. But, hey, the extra fruit serving can't hurt, eh?
GreenTeaYum is offline   Reply With Quote