Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/ticker/160

Height: 5'4

Default "She's an actress playing the role of fitness trainer on TV"

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/health-expe...-regimen--1642

if you havent read your yahoo news today,
check out this article on Jillian Michael's as a fitness trainer!
Crystalynnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/194/150

Height: 5'4''

Very interesting article, thanks for sharing. Although, I do have to question the credibility of the "experts" they cited. Just because a self proclaimed expert wrote a book doesn't make him qualified to criticize. However, when they quoted multiple experts in the use of kettle bell workouts...well that makes it more reputable. I have tried kettle bells once and wow...what a workout? too much sweat for me though.
more2luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

She is fuming mad about it. The thing is, if they tried to contact her for comment and she declined, that's sort of on her.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:08 AM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I think she has some value as a trainer, but I also think she's too greedy. Doing something that she's not qualified to do and selling these diet pills seems like a cheap shot to me. Stick to what you know Jillian....torturing people into submission and weight loss!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/220/190

Height: 5 foot six

I saw that, it's possible her PR person didn't realize what the article was about. Celebs like that get inundated with requests, the PR person could have said no thinking it would be another pointless interview.

I find Jillian far more credible than some of the other "celeb" trainers on the scene like her former business partner Jackie Warner and that Tracy Anderson baby food lady. This kettle ball thing is a fiasco, but the guy writing it seemed like he was a bit jealous.

It's really too bad most people only know Jillian through TBL and articles like this. Her "real" self on her radio show and other DVDs is far more genuine.

But, agreed she never should have done the diet pills. What a mess.

Last edited by damngina; 10-14-2010 at 12:15 AM.
damngina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:44 AM   #6  
Lisa

S/C/G: 300/290/180

Height: 5 feet 3 inches

I've taken kettlebell training from my trainer and from classes at my Y. I don't see her technique as bad at all. Every "expert" criticizes other "experts." It's like all the martial arts schools in town saying they are the best. I see Jillian as a trainer not an actress.
Karatemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've worked with kettlebells for a while and we do kettlebells at my gym. I do think her form is somewhat questionable and seems a bit awkward (her clean and jerk especially looked odd). I'd rather learn from someone who has been trained in them and I actually didn't know what I was doing wrong until I worked with someone trained in kettlebells.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It concerned me, watching The Biggest Loser, that both trainers had the contestants doing so many exercises at levels, intensity levels and durations that were quite dangerous for people that size. Extremely high-impact, high intensity exercise, and pushing people until they puke makes great television, but it's not safe. I do suspect that none of the show's trainers would work out clients like that without the protection of the release forms, the show's lawyers, and the giant budget and backing of the show.

I think most people at home know that the exercises aren't safe, and that's what makes it "fun" to watch. Safe is boring, risky is exciting. We want to see the people as heroes, and heroes don't play it safe.

Still, it seems that each season of reality shows (not just TBL) gets riskier and riskier, and I'm starting to wonder when the reality show deaths are going to start occuring and whether that will stop people from watching or only draw more viewers.

Last edited by kaplods; 10-14-2010 at 04:31 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I think the assertion that Jillian is not a "real" trainer was unjustified. She's certified and credentialed by at least a few major organizations.

I also don't think it was necessary, given the main point of the article - that she is NOT a kettlebell expert (despite having general training credentials) and that experts in that field think her form is not good or possibly dangerous. That point is still valid, even if the original "actress playing a trainer" was probably overkill.

I have done her yoga video, and her form on that was not great either, in my opinion (then again, I'm not a trained yoga instructor, so who am I to say...still, it was a bit rushed for me, and her execution of the poses was different than other ways I've seen them executed before by people with specific yoga credentials). The models in the back seemed to be more comfortable with the poses than she was.

I love her videos where she sticks to what she knows (cardio, free weights) but think she's overextending a bit now for her brand into questionable areas (diet pills) or areas beyond her expertise.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

There are things I absolutely LOVE about Jillian. For some reason, I find her DVDs very motivational. I don't watch TBL, so I can't really comment on that. I used to listen to her radio podcast (does she still do that?) and found her advice helpful and knowledgeable and again, motivational. Jillian makes me believe that even un-coordinated, lazy, been-fat-my-whole-life me can actually do this. And I have been!

I can't afford a gym and walking/joggin outside is pretty impossible for me in the summer, and I've gravitated towards Jillian's DVDs. I stuck with 30 Day Shred for a long time, but have others of hers now and switch them up all the time. They are manageable for me - it's not all crazy cardio, she's not bizarrely perky, I use hand weights and get some strength training in. I really credit her DVDs for the best muscle tone I've had in my life.

BUT . . . even I can tell that she's not the best at explaining form, or correcting form on her models. Sometimes I have no idea why I'm doing a particular exercise, or what muscle group I'm supposed to be working or where I should feel it.

All that being said, maybe she's overextended herself? She's obviously a trainer, not an actor, but maybe she's another example of how we want people who are really good at a few things to become our gurus of everything?
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 247/ticker/160

Height: 5'4

you can check out her rebuttle here
http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/health-expe...-regimen--1642
Crystalynnn is offline   Reply With Quote