Old 10-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 234/ticker/154

Height: 5'6"

Default tinkering with Medifast

So, as with many things in my life, I have a hard time leaving things alone or following directions specifically. I am currently on Medifast and have been for a few weeks now. I am losing weight.

I know that the Medifast program was developed by doctors and has lots of research backing it, but I also think it hasn't been updated in awhile.

Two of the things that bother me about Medifast is the amount of sugar they use and the type of sugar alcohol they use (malitol).

Sugar=cravings & hunger (or so research tells me). So why using so much of it?
Malitol has the highest Glycemic Index of any of the sugar alcohol's, others taste just as good and have lower GI's.

My normal day on Medifast is on average:

Calories 858 kcal/day
Protein 107 g/day
Total Carbohydrate 81 g/day
Total Fat 19 g/day

So here comes the tinkering part.

1. I have been toying with the idea of replacing one of the Medifast meal replacements with 1/2 cup of low-fat or fat free cottage cheese daily. That will reduce the daily carbs by 7-10 and increase the protein by 2-3.

2. I love fruit and I am really missing it, I'd like to add in, once or twice a week a serving of fruit. I know it will bump up my carbs on those days, but I have thought of doing the fruit on the days I exercise (starting back to exercising this week)

3. Am considering (this is further down on the list) of replacing SOME (not all) of the Medifast shakes with a lower carb protein shake (Muscle Milk light or something).

Any thoughts on my tinkering ideas? Anyone else here tinkered with this plan?
keziah23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:50 PM   #2  

Those who tinker end up failing. Do it as written and it works.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 234/ticker/154

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Those who tinker end up failing. Do it as written and it works.
Not to be rude, but where is your data to back that up?
keziah23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #4  
kellie105

S/C/G: 292.5/284.8/170

Height: 5'6

I personally think a calorie is a calorie- it is impossible to live the rest of your life on 850 calories. You must incorporate real food eventually. I think you know whats best for you.
kellie105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

I know nothing about Medifast, so consider this as you read my comment. I agree with parts of what both previous posters have written.

Medifast probably works because the "science" behind it supports whatever compounds are in those meal replacements. If you mess around with that, Medifast may not work so well for you. People also lose weight on Medifast because it is severe calorie restriction. I don't think 858 calories a day is sustainable.

If you are worried about what's in those meal replacements, why do Medifast? Why not lose weight on your own and eat real foods that you select based on what is important to you? I don't think all calories are equal and there are lower carb plans that are based on real foods.

Just something to think about.
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #6  

I did Medifast three years ago and lost weight. I did it again in September and have lost weight. I followed the plan 100% exactly and was very successful. However, you can still do very well on the program by tinkering with it. I have known people who have lost weight on Medifast by NOT following the program to a tee. Their weight loss is slower, but they still lost weight. I agree with above poster...calories are calories...it's the nutrition that's different. But, don't be fooled, you cannot sustain 800-1000 calories a day normally. My advice is to do Medifast the way it is, 100% until you lose an amount of weight you are happy with and then continue on your own. Otherwise, you are better off just doing it on your own without Medifast products. IMHO, they are too expensive to waste on not following the plan 100%. KWIM? right now, I am trying to figure out a way to do T&M without the use of Medifast products and gently increase my calorie count.
sunnysand is offline   Reply With Quote