Old 10-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

Default Roasted vegetables

The cabbage thread reminded me of a lady I work with that mentioned to me one time that she had roasted cabbage the previous night. At the time I really didn't think much of it, but this week, I bought a head of cabbage for a vegetable soup but with the size of the cabbage, there was no way I could put the whole thing in the soup (I'm already using a huge stock pot, I can't make the batch any bigger). So I thought I would try roasting it just to see. I am not a huge vegetable person but have found that I don't mind vegetables if they are roasted. So tonight I roasted my cabbage, a beautiful sweet red pepper and half an onion for dinner with my roasted chicken (that was supposed to be for the soup also). I can't believe how good everything was. I had a super colorful plate, more vegetable than I ever thought I would eat in a day, let alone a meal, and I didn't dread eating any of it. My vegetables tonight where not anything fancy, just a little olive oil (measured out of course) and salt, but I think I will get creative with some spices tomorrow night for my broccoli and cauliflower.

Anyone else have any favorite roasted veggies? Any fun way to prepare them? I've heard brussle sprouts are good roasted, but brussle sprouts scare me a little. I think I may just plan to roast something every night. At least that way I am actually eating vegetables with my dinnner.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Some of my favs -

zucchini
sweet taters
eggplants
radishes
cauliflower
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #3  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I love roasted veggies!

A favorite easy one is fresh asparagus, sprinkled with garlic powder and sometimes parmesan cheese.

Here is one of my 'go to' recipes for roasted veggies. It's the spice mixture that does it. Everyone I've served this to over the years has loved it. Sometimes I leave out the potatoes if I'm not in the mood or don't want to wait that long for it to cook:

1 1/4 lb red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
1 tbsp olive oil
1tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/8 tsp black pepper
3 medium zucchini, cut into chunks
2 red peppers, seeded and sliced
1 onion, sliced

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine potatoes and oil in 13x9 baking dish or roasting pan, bake for 15 minutes. Combine all spices in bowl then add to potatoes. Add zucchini, peppers and onion and toss to coat. Bake for an addtional 25 minutes. Serves approximately 6 people. 1 1/4 cup = 1 point, for those of you on WW
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #4  
calorie counting works!

S/C/G: 171/ticker/135

Green beans and asparagus are fabulous roasted. Brussels sprouts taste better roasted, although I'm still not the biggest fan of them. But sprouts are lovely when shredded and stir-fried.
reji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:04 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Veggies make up the bulk of my menu. I LOVE roasted veggies. Love em' to pieces. And so do the members of my family. They are waaaaay better than all of those other side dishes I used to eat.

Brussel sprouts is right up there as one of our favorites.

Cut off the hard tip and the end. Cut sprouts in half
Lay out on a roasting sheet which has been covered with about 1 tsp of canola oil. Spray the sprouts with cooking spray. Roast in a 400 degree oven for about 20 - 30 minutes till they begin to brown and caramelize. Turn midway through and at that point sprinkle with sea salt, garlic and onion powder. DELISH.

Some of our other favorites -green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, sliced beets.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:34 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Lazy girl method and almost as good as fresh!

I use the mixed vegetables from Costco. There are orange and yellow carrots, cauliflower, brocolli and peppers in the mix. All I do is spray them very well with nonfat cooking spray and put them onto the grill. They are absolutely deelish. The only seasoning I use is salt and pepper.

My hubby likes them when doused with a ton of olive oil. I usually add it to his after I take mine off.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:52 AM   #7  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

everything i can think of tastes better roasted. didn't see anyone mention winter squash. yum! love baked sweet potatoes, they don't even need anything added. just time to carmelize naturally in the 'sauna' (oven) lol. easiest side dish ever.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:17 AM   #8  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

I love me some roasted veggies. My favorites are sweet potatoes, red potatoes, onions, all colors of sweet bell peppers, green and yellow squash, and fresh garlic.

One of my favorite things to do is chop them all up and splash a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, along with seasonings that appeal to me in the moment and roast away. The balsamic adds such a lovely tang to the carmalized veggies.
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #9  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I just did a root veggie the other day:

Drizzle a little oil over brussels sprouts, pearl onions, sweet potato chunks, parsnips chunks, rutabaga chunks, and carrot carrot chunks. Mix around with a spoon to coat and roast at 400 for about 20-30 minutes. I don't like them overdone and mushy.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #10  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I had some amazing acorn squash the other day. Split the acorn squash in half (This is the hardest step. I made it easier by microwaving for a minute first.) Scoop out the seeds. Put upside down in a roasting pan with 1/4 cup of water. Roast at 375 for an hour.

Scoop out the insides and mash with a splash of milk and a little butter. So good!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:36 AM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Eliana, when I make acorn squash I do it similarly to you. But when I've got them in 1/2 a drizzle on some sugar free maple syrup and cinnamon and then bake like you do. Sometimes in the cavity I'll put chopped apples, walnuts and raisins with the cinnamon and syrup. Delish.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Thanks for all the suggestions. I would have never though of radishes. I really like roasted winter squashes, but I usually use butternut squash but I don't like prepping it for the oven (I really should get my knives sharpened, it would go easier). Tonight is broccoli and cauliflower although I keep thinking of my cabbage from last night.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #13  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I love roasted veggies and do them each week. Plus, I often have a whole chicken and put veggies all around it ... including small new potatoes and/or sweet potatoes/yams, celery, onions, turnip (summer or winter), baby carrots, green and/or yellow beans, broccoli, and cauliflower. If we have any on hand, I have also put in parsnips, zucchini, cabbage, spinach, mushrooms, and/or winter squashes too.

Sometimes, I just do the veggies in water or broth like layered carrots (baby), knib corn, cauliflower, and broccoli. I use garlic or garlic powder, onion, thyme, poultry seasoning, black pepper, parsley, and a bit of salt for my spices with the veggies ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #14  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Cauliflower with cumin, garlic and some of that sweet, smoky Spanish paprika that became so very fashionable a few years ago.

Broccoli is good with a bit of chili powder & cumin.

Cabbage roasted with lemon juice mixed with olive oil is fantastic.

Brussel sprouts benefit from balsamic vinegar.

Portabella mushrooms are good with a mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinegar & crumbled dried thyme.

Green beans just need a bit of salt & pepper.

I'm an asparagus lover, but prefer mine steamed for some reason.

Butternut squash with garlic, olive oil, a teaspoon of flour & a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #15  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Oooh, so many good ideas on here! I'm going to have to get out of my comfort zone and try some squash, especially, I think. Eliana's and Robin's ways of cooking them sound delicious!

Not sure if anyone watched The Biggest Loser last night, but Bob the trainer invited some of the contestants to his house for a vegan supper, and he had some roasted cauliflower among other yummy and healthy options. Here is a link to the recipes:

http://www.mytrainerbob.com/blog-pos...-biggest-loser
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote