Old 10-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #1  

Default Hair thinning

I've been signed up with MRC since 9/17.

So, I've been on for not quite a month. I'm down 2 1/2 pounds 8 1/2 inches AND a noticeable amount of hair.

My hair is thinning to the point that I can see significant scalp. I never had that before. Seems like a fairly high price to pay for 2.5 pounds. I'm following the green diet, taking my own b complex, fish oil, multivitamin and MRC's total woman.

Anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts on what I should do? I'll mention it at the center next time I weigh in.
Nicmom24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #2  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

I have not encountered this. I sure hope you can figure this out.

I understand that deficiency in some vitamins can contribute, but then again, if you get too much of some vitamins, it can result in hair loss.

Wishing you the best to get this figured out.
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 6'1''

Yes. Thankfully, I had a lot of hair to begin with, but right around my hairline, it is noticeable to me. I did some reading and there are a couple of different things happening. 1. Dieting can cause early onset hair thinning (permanent) if you are genetically prone to it. 2. Usually about 1/2 of your hair is in the resting phase and 1/2 is in the growing phase. Dieting causes the whole scalp to go into the resting phase. When you begin eating maintenance level food again, your hair will slowly go back to normal.

If your hair is falling out in CHUNKS, please see your doctor.
hatethesweatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/178.8/150

Height: 5'4''

Besides fish oil, are you taking any EFA (essential fatty acids)? They do sell them at the center, but I bought mine at GNC. It is a mix of fish, flax, borage, and olive oils. The ladies at my center told me to take those to keep my hair from falling out.

Any low fat diet will cause hair loss. I had an anorexic friend in high school who almost went bald because she was getting so little fat.

I take 6 of the EFAs every day....three in the morning, 3 at night. It is twice the suggested dosage, but its just good fats, so no harm in that. My center said if I notice dry skin or brittle hair I can up it to 9 pills a day.

Maybe that would help.
Razorbackbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #5  
Sept. 2, 2010

S/C/G: 155.8/144.4/135

Height: 5'6"

Ok, I'm only in my 30 and I have had some problem with hair loss. It always goes in cycles. BUT IT FREAKS ME OUT. So far I've been on IP for 6 week and I haven't had any problems. But everyone's different. My suggestions try B-12 vitamins along with your normal vitamins. I have talked to a dermatologist at lengths about this. It could also be a hormonal cycle. That can be triggered by stress, change of life style, and having kids. The great news is it's not permanent and your hormone cycles wont make you loose all your hair. But if it gets to the point your really worried call a dermatologist.. Keep smiling
Cumbow01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233/206.8/176

Height: 5'10

Instead of waiting for the hormonal cycle to end, I have a suggestion:

http://www.amazon.com/Rene-Furterer-.../dp/B00135RTIM

Every Fall I start losing more hair than usual. Sometimes it scares me, although my hair is very thick. This product works wonders for me! I strongly recommend it to anyone who has problems with hair loss.
GoalDec20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #7  
Time to move!

S/C/G: 197/see ticker /140

Height: 5' 2 3/4"

Default more on hair loss

Significant hair loss can portend lots of different things. When it happened to me, I also lost a dramatic amount of weight without any effort, was hot as a firecracker all the time and weak as a kitten, couldn't sleep, it was BAD! Turned out my thyroid was on overdrive, and my body was consuming itself (Graves disease). Now eight years later I take daily medication to suppress it, and I'm back on an even keel with my endocrine system. The hair never did grow back, but I had a lot to start with. If it continues, you may want to mention it to your doctor.
ladystarrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #8  

S/C/G: xxx/166/187 Thats 19 lbs below

Height: 5'10"

Started diet on 1/10 and finished maintenance in 7/10. Lost 70 lbs and 75 inches!! My hair started falling out in clumps mid March. I took all the efa's, fish oil, multi-vitamin, etc..... My hair still comes out in clumps daily. I would say that I have lost at least half of my hair.. I have log mid back length hair and have to keep getting it cut shorter so that it doesn't look so nappy and thin. I know that the average person looses about 100 hairs per day, but I was 5x that!! The center really had nothing to say about it. Hopefully it will start to grow back now that I am on a more normal diet.
Rebajetgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #9  

This was on aol today ... (ignore the product sales pitch at the end)... but has some good info. Don't know if the link will work or not, sometimes they remove them.

Thinning Hair: What Causes It, Plus a New Line That Treats It - StyleList
dkmd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #10  

since that obviously didn't work, here are some of the highlights

"People mistakenly think there are mechanical causes to hair loss, like shampooing and styling too often, and wearing hats and scarves," says Angela Polsinelli, director of education for Joico, a hair brand that is launching the Clinicure line formulated for thinning hair. "It's actually the opposite that's true -- the more you stimulate your scalp with touch and keep it cleansed and healthy, the better your defense," adds Polsinelli.

The real cause of thinning hair has to do with your genetic predisposition to turn testosterone hormones into dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which clogs and blocks the hair follicle both under and on top of the scalp. The hair growth cycle also shortens with age, so already blocked follicles don't have the chance to sprout fully developed strands like they once did, which collectively causes hair loss.

A slew of other factors can set the issue off or exacerbate thinning hair. Stress, poor diet, rapid weight loss, pregnancy, illnesses and environmental factors like pollution and chlorinated water can cause your body to starve the hair follicles of essential nutrients needed to grow thick, healthy hair. Medications like birth control, steroids, blood pressure, diabetic, acne and heart disease treatments have also been shown to do the same.

"Even though so many different things can factor into hair loss, the number one cause is genetics. You want to get the blood flowing in your scalp so that nutrients can get delivered," advises Polsinelli.
dkmd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:24 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 182/163/149

Height: 5'5

I think my hair has actually improved since starting the program. Before I started, I never drank plain water, never took vitamins, and didn't eat a lot of protein. My hair has never looked better.
bbygrl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #12  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbygrl77 View Post
I think my hair has actually improved since starting the program. Before I started, I never drank plain water, never took vitamins, and didn't eat a lot of protein. My hair has never looked better.
Ditto, I never was good at those things either. And I never took omega 3s which I believe was/is crucial to how good my skin and hair improved so dramatically!
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote