Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/250/112

Height: 5'4.5

Unhappy Please Recomend Toning Exercises For Beginners?

I'm pretty new to all this exercise stuff, I now have my own cross trainer and plan on using that most days, but I'd also like to tone my stomach muscles, arms and legs during the process...

I find it very difficult to do sit ups because I store most of my fat on my stomach so a full sit up or crunch is pretty much impossible for me, is there any other way of toning my stomach?

Also my arms, I have some small weight that I can use to help to tone, but I've heard that push ups can help alot, thing is though I can barely do a 'girl' push up as it is and at most I can do like 5 Is there another way?

I'd like some really effective recommendations pretty pleaseeeee thanyaaaa
candy love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'3

I like Pilates (did i spell that right?) works wonders for my core. I cant do sit ups they just hurt no matter how I do them sorry I am not much more help I am not much of a weight lifter either. Right now I am just more into cardio on my bike rides
Princess Tiefling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #3  

Oh pilates sounds fun I've never tried that before, I'll try anything once though, thanks for the reply
Old 10-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/165

Height: 5' 7"

One particular exercise I just learned....Planks!
Giiirl they will WORK those stomach muscles!!!

My Women's Health magazine says to hold it for 60 seconds, rest for 30 seconds and repeat 5 times. I could hold for 20 and repeat twice. Haha. But I am FEELING it today. Try it out!

ashley nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #5  
A Work in Progress

S/C/G: S-201.5/C-142.5/G-145.0

Height: 5' 6"

There are so many effective exercises, and cruches/sit ups are definitely NOT the only way to tone your abdoen .

Here's an article that you might find interesting: http://exercise.about.com/cs/weightl...texercises.htm

As for Pilates, I really enjoy it, but would not recommend starting without some instruction. I have had some negative impact on my back as a result of it & I'm sure it was from improper form. Hard to tell on yourself!

Good luck to you! Just be consistent & you'll be amazed at the results. Enjoy getting stroger!
cherylmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #6  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

When planning an exercise routine, you want to incorporate workouts from each of the three different elements - cardio (aerobic), strength training (anaerobic), and flexibility/stretching. Aerobic exercise builds cardiovascular capacity while anaerobic exercise builds and tones muscles. Flexibility exercises improve the range of motion of muscles and joints.

Aerobic exercises include things like running, walking, biking, swimming, dancing.
Anaerobic exercise involves weight lifting and interval training.
Flexibility examples are pilates, yoga, and t'ai chi.

The two DVDs I use for strength training (anaerobic) are Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones and Biggest Loser Power Sculpt. (And I'm planning to purchase the Kettlebell Goddess DVD sometime soon!)
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #7  

Thanks heaps everyone, I'm going to give a bit of everything a go and see what works best for me, I'll make a thread in a few months with results Or just probably post on this one to same time and space lol

Thanks again
Old 10-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #8  
Lisa

S/C/G: 300/290/180

Height: 5 feet 3 inches

I have a severe diastasis, so I can't do crunches and all that. I've found working with kettlebells to help a lot. Make sure your posture is good and you'll tone legs, arms, and abs as you move through the moves.
Karatemom is offline   Reply With Quote