Old 10-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #1  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Default cabbage question..comparing it to lettuce

We all know that romaine lettuce is better than iceberg right?

I was just chopping Bok choy and realized it looks a lot like romaine. Then I pulled my "regular cabbage" and realized it resembles iceberg lettuce quite a bit.

Can they be compared to lettuce in that way? Is Boc choy more nutrient dense? Is "regular cabbage" as useless as iceberg lettuce?

Anyone in the know?
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #2  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

hmmm that's a good question, I don't know! All I know is that I'm very weird indeed, and just LOVE a giant wedge of cabbage RAW -- i loathe it cooked (good lord and i'm IRISH????) I also love slices of RAW turnip too!!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #3  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

I would be interested to know this too. I love adding a whole head of cabbage into my stir fry.
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

No. While you do get some extra nutrients from darker greens, green cabbage isn't nutrient poor...it has the same sulfurous compounds as foods like broccoli, and is a phenomenal source of vitamin C.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:37 AM   #5  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
hmmm that's a good question, I don't know! All I know is that I'm very weird indeed, and just LOVE a giant wedge of cabbage RAW -- i loathe it cooked (good lord and i'm IRISH????) I also love slices of RAW turnip too!!!
that's funny. I like cabbage cooked and raw in a cole slaw, marinated in vinegar so I guess technically it's cooked. red cabbage too. I love (esp in winter) stuffed cabbage rolls. Polish store nearby sells them premade.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh cabbage is definitely healthier than lettuce. It's more nutrient rich; has more fiber.

I love it to pieces. In salads, in stir fries, in soups, sauteed with onions..
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #7  
Calorie counter

I love it pan fried. (Stir fried I guess) It so sweet. My favorite is to heat up a little oil, fry a little fresh garlic, almonds and pine nuts and then add the cabbage, frying until you see the start of browning. Sometimes I throw in corn too.

My favorite topping? Salsa chicken. Just throw a jar of salsa over chicken and cook on the stove top until done. Shred and serve over cabbage.

This meal is actually what started this thread. I made it with a mix of Bok choy and regular cabbage...I did not like it. The Bok Choy was too strong. It wasn't so bad with the chicken but I didn't like it by itself.

Last edited by Eliana; 10-09-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:45 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

For the salsa chicken - do you serve the cabbage raw or pan fried? I'm assuming pan fried...

And if you ever want to check the nutrition elements in foods, I turn to http://nutritiondata.self.com/. http://whfoods.com/ also gives good info.

You've got me hankering for some cabbage now. I will make sure to get some for the upcoming week.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:51 AM   #9  
Calorie counter

LOL! It's a good hankering though! Yes, the salsa chicken is served over the pan fried cabbage. I do not particularly care for cabbage raw.

Last edited by Eliana; 10-09-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:55 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
LOL! It's a good hankering though!
Oh yes. Isn't it great how we *hanker* for the good stuff now?
Old 10-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I love cabbage. Seriously. I cook it up with a low-fat turkey sausage and some red potatoes that I bake in the oven. Its so much food, as one head of cabbage is only going to feed three people.

It does, on the other hand, make my apartment smell icky
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:37 PM   #12  
Calorie counter

See, I've never had a problem with cabbage smell. I've heard other people say this too. But the I've never boiled it...I only shred it and fry it.

And a whole head of cabbage only feeds three people? Really? I usually only make a quarter of a head for the "four" of us. (Put in quotes because it's really only the two of us... The boys do not like it. They get a spoonful on their plate, but they don't actually eat it.) Are you saying I could eat more?

Last edited by Eliana; 10-09-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Well, I think you "can" eat as much as you want. But yes, in my house, a head of cabbage serves three. Sometimes four of my roommates boyfriend comes over. (I'm mean and make all of my friends eat veggies)

A whole medium head has 220 calories and a large head about 300, give or take. When you divide that by three people, its only about 70-100 calories each...or 1 WW point due to almost no fat and a ton of fiber. (On WW, one cup of cabbage is 0 points in general, but I always count it as one point since I'm sure I'm eating more than just a cup).

When I serve it with turkey sausage, which is 1WW point per ounce (normally we eat about 3 oz each) and red potatoes (3 points per 8 oz)...its a huge plate of food for about 7WW points. I don't do mini-meals so 7 points is pretty standard for dinner, maybe even on the low end.

In the grand scheme of things, I doubt eating too much cabbage once a week will keep me fat
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #14  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

This thread has me craving cabbage!

My dad used to eat Chinese cabbage (napa cabbage) as a nighttime snack - just chop off some of the stalks and chomp away. And like Trazey, he also loved to eat raw turnip.

I prefer mine cooked, though.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:20 AM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Cabbage is a staple for me. I even add shredded cabbage to "sloppy joes,"

Even when I resort to canned soup, I add a can of V-8 and shredded cabbage (not only to give me more food for the calories, but because it makes canned soup taste less like the can).

I also like shredded nappa cabbage as a bed for stir fry (not only because I'm trying to reduce carbs, but also because I have a hard time with portion control when it comes to rice).

Cooked cabbage even makes a nice pasta substitute, and I've even used it in place of bread and tortillas (cabbage tacos are very tasty).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote