Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/220/190

Height: 5 foot six

Default Living In A Food Desert

I currently live in a small, very low-income community with the closest grocery store a mile out. While getting there is a nice walk (and coming back with lots of groceries is a definite work out!) i'm starting to worry about what will happen when it gets really cold and starts to snow. I don't have a car and I don't drive.

The food places close to me are a drug store and a McDonald's. There is a health food store in town but it is *extremely* expensive (and I shopped at Whole Foods for many years.. this is even worse than that). Unlike many of you, I am not totally off processed foods and I have no problem eating low-calorie at McDonald's (no fries, no mayo, the usual substitutions) but I do feel gross and guilty about having to do this.

Just looking for advice from others who live in places like this and what i should get to freeze in advance for the winter months. Also, if anyone knows any good resources to buy stuff online like oatmeal, Luna bars, etc.

Thank you!!
damngina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:16 PM   #2  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

Can you take a cab in the winter? With some careful planning, you could maybe do a "big" grocery trip every other week, with some occasional things picked up at the drug store in between?

I live out in the sticks, and while I do have a car, I really have to try to plan my groceries out for the whole week as it's a lot of gas (and time) to waste just to drive to town to get a few things. We do have a gas station about halfway between my house and town where I can get overpriced milk, bread, etc., in a pinch.

My freezer has lots of chicken breasts, fish and frozen veggies. I try to eat fresh veggies, but I sometimes when I go too long in between trips, they just don't last. I try to stay away from canned veggies since they're not very nutritious (still low calorie and an OK "filler" to round out a meal if you don't have anything else.) When I know it will be a while between trips, I tend to buy "hardier" produce like carrots, celery and apples. Romaine keeps longer than iceberg--plus it's better for you!

Bread actually freezes pretty well. Certain meals (i.e., chili) also freeze well...so if you make a batch one week, you can freeze half and have it again the following week.

I also look for sales on pantry items (soup, rice, etc.) so I can stock up on things with a longer shelf life.

Not sure if this is the kind of advice you're looking for...but hopefully it's somewhat helpful!

Last edited by NorthernExposure; 10-08-2010 at 10:18 PM.
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 222/220/160

Height: 5'7

Is there anyone close by such as a neighbor who would be willing to take you on a weekly trip or so? That is rough, I can't drive currently and while I do have someone I live with that drives, sometimes I have a hard time when I want to go to the store but can't.
lunameower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/220/190

Height: 5 foot six

Northernexposure, that is definitely the advice I am looking for! I am a takeout junkie and have no idea what freezes and what doesn't besides the obvious (meat, veggies, etc). And that's a great idea... just taking a taxi for a big trip every few weeks.

lunameower, I vaguely know my neighbors, but I may have to hit them up for rides in exchange for a six pack or something (this is a college town). It's definitely a challenge living in a place like this, but it's so much cheaper and healthier than the meal plan.

Today I went to the health food store and got some eggs and a few bulk items, she doesn't price those too outreagously. There's also a small farmer's market that will end in a few weeks due to the weather, so I stopped there today to get a few things as well. Once November hits...things will get "interesting."

Thanks for the replies!
damngina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:09 AM   #5  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/107/104

Height: 5'3"

In addition to biweekly big trips, I would look on craigslist for a free bike and good quality backpack.
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:26 AM   #6  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

How expensive is the meal plan?

When I was in college I had really good luck finding good options in the caf. but we had a salad and sandwich bar as well.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote