Old 10-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Question my first consult is tomorrow.. advice???

I have a consultation set up for 9am tomorrow at my local MRC. I am so excited and nervous, do you know what I should expect? also she said they are running a 1/2 off special right now but half off of what? what is their normal joining fee etc? I would love some advice/insight on this plan. Is the diet hard to stick to? is it really expensive? do I need to buy all their products or do you buy/make your own?? any thoughts are appreciated, thanks!!!!
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #2  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

My advice (and I love MRC): ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS.

After I jointed initially, I began preconditioning (lost 5.5 lbs on this over a week and a half). I believe my joining fee (I had much to lose) was $400, if I recall. You don't have as much to lose, so it won't be the same amount for you.

However, when I went back for actual food instruction, then I learned I needed to purchase supplements running me at about $40-50 per week. I love the supplements though -- once I figured out which ones tasted the best. I do enjoy them -- just not ALL of them.

You can also purchase similar supplements online (dietdirect.com). For instance, their BARIWISE meal replacement bars are like eating candy.

MRC has a tendency to lead you in step by step without giving you a full picture -- which I am sure is the intention. But I wish they would be more forthcoming!

Again though, I love MRC and have done really well with it and am trying to finish up the journey by Christmas 2011. Between Aug 09-Jan 10, I went from a size 22-24 to a 14-12.

I just recently joined their newest plan where I should expect a loss of 1-2 lbs a day, but I would have never have began my weight loss journey by doing this plan. I needed to learn how to eat right before I did this!

All the best,
Joy2MeNu
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/178.8/150

Height: 5'4''

MRC is great...but it is a program you pay for. Half off would be the joining fee. The program works in (I believe) 8 week increments depending on how much weight you have to lose. I signed up for a 24 week program and it was almost $500...I have 70-80 pounds to lose. I started exactly one month ago today.

You do pay 40-50 a week for the HNS (the protein drink mixes). You have to drink at least 2-3 per day of those, but I drink 4 per day, so I go through them faster.

They require you to take a vitamin and fish oil, but I buy mine online for cheaper than the center.

They have LOTS of supplements that will sound enticing. I am trying out a few of them to see how they work, but I am only using them on a "what I can afford to spend extra" basis.

As far as food goes, depending on how much you have to lose and which menu they put you on. They tell you how many ounces of protein, fruit, and veggies to eat to control your portions, and they give you a list of approved carbs. I am on the green menu and here is how my day goes:

Breafast: protein, bread, and an HNS.
Lunch: protein, fruit, veggie, HNS.
Dinner: Protein, veggie, bread.

I can also get 2 additional HNS a day.

The trick with this diet is to be creative. Buy the cookbook for sure, so you have recipes you can make so you don't get burned out eating a hunk of chicken breast and a side of plain broccoli. You can do fun things with the diet. I have made spaghetti (with the Tomato Basil HNS and spaghetti squash), tuna burgers, blueberry muffins (with the vanilla HNS), smoothies, french toast, chicken parmesean, and many more yummy foods. You have to learn to be creative with it or you will never make it. I have lost 14 pounds in my first full month on program, and I'm super happy with it.

So remember: don't be afraid to tell them "no" for the extra supplements you don't want....and be creative with the food.

Good luck!
Razorbackbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #4  

Thank you both so much! You were incredibly helpful! so when I do the consult tomorrow I then have to go back and get my plan and supplements if I want them or can I do it all in one visit? also do you have to go in to be weighed etc very often? Do they call you at home or check in with you because what I honestly need is a diet coach to help me stay in check.. I've been trying to diet solo for 12 years and it just hasn't worked for me. I need someone to help me stay accountable etc so I was hoping thier coaches or counselors would be the key on this plan for me.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #5  

Hey! They will put you on pre-conditioning tomorrow. Then you will go back (probably at the end of this week or next) for a food instruction class when you will buy everything.

You have to go in twice a week to weigh in. You are always welcome there more, and if you think you need daily calls, I'm sure your consultant would be happy to check in with you. They want you to succeed. They also have a number of classes you have to attend (I have to attend 6 during my 24 weeks) and those are incredibly fun/helpful. Classes on cooking on program, emotional eating, how to maximize your weight loss, etc. You are always welcome at as many of those as you would like to attend as well to continue learning about how to do this the right way.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #6  

what is preconditioning??? ok well my nearest center is about 40 min away and during the week I work full time and my husband is only home on the weekends so maybe we can set up saturday weigh ins or something.. during the week really wouldn't work with me with 4 kids in tow or trying to get off of work etc.. but i'm sure we can discuss all of that tomorrow with the counselor, I'm just so excited and optimistic about it all )
Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #7  

I live about 40 minutes away from my center and I only weigh in once a week. None of the consultants ever give me a hard time about only coming in once a week. I just told them it wasn't practical for me to drive that far twice a week.

I got 17 weeks for $129 and I had 30 pounds to lose. I'm not sure if that's what they base it on or not.
jakesmommy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #8  

thank you so much for the info jakesmommy! did that include the shakes and stuff or was that just the program fee? I have at least 40 lbs to lose so hopefully it's not over 200 bucks and my husband may join as well so if their half off special is good maybe we can both join for less than 300 total is my hope...
Old 10-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 271/271/175

Height: 5'6" restart 11/6/17

If you go to low carb friends dot com and search for nutribolic or formu 3, you will find menus which, from what I have gleaned from this board, are all nearly identical to mrc. Like others have said you can then order the supplements/drinks from diet direct.
BetsyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #10  

the two of you can probably join for $300 or so for 17 weeks if it's half off, but be prepared to spend another 200-300 per month for the protein (HNS) drinks. It's not cheap. This is a low-carb, low-fat, low-sodium, low-cal program -- very restrictive. Get the info and check with your personal physician before you sign any commitment. You will notice that many people here are doing this a second or third time. Like any program, it only works if you follow it, and the number of people who keep all of the weight off follows any other program -- in the 10-20% range. Now having said all of that, I've lost more weight on this program than any other, but gained it back and am trying again. Good luck on your journey.
dkmd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #11  

thank you so much, yes I had my consult and my husband I both joined for 149.00 each for 17 weeks, we bought two of the supplements today which was another 56.00 then next friday we go in for our food class and we'll buy our hsn drinks etc then which will be another 100-200 bucks.. so yeah it's pricey but after talking with them today it's such a good plan! we will start our preconditioning this saturday through next friday and they said we should lose 3-8 lbs each so I'm excited!!! Just gotta go grocery shopping now and stock up on menu items, thank you all for your advice and thoughts on this! I can't wait to have some of your successes!
Old 10-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #12  
Now UC it! Now U don't!

S/C/G: 210/194/140 Rd 2 beginning 3/7

Height: 5' 3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by spryng View Post
thank you so much, yes I had my consult and my husband I both joined for 149.00 each for 17 weeks, we bought two of the supplements today which was another 56.00 then next friday we go in for our food class and we'll buy our hsn drinks etc then which will be another 100-200 bucks.. so yeah it's pricey but after talking with them today it's such a good plan! we will start our preconditioning this saturday through next friday and they said we should lose 3-8 lbs each so I'm excited!!! Just gotta go grocery shopping now and stock up on menu items, thank you all for your advice and thoughts on this! I can't wait to have some of your successes!

Morning spryng,

You sound like you have a realistic and positive mind-set, so I am thinking you should be incredibly successful on this plan.

It is a great plan, so just relax, follow the rules and watch for the change. OH, drink all the water -- I am truly convinced this makes a huge difference!
And learn to use much of the no sodium spices to make your food tastier, and some hot sauces too.

I joined MRC for the incredible accountability. Initially I weighed in twice a week and that was so helpful. I actually am back to weighing in 2-3 times a week now as I just began the new plan. So, ALL THE BEST!

I can't tell you how satisfying and guilt-free it feels just to believe in the plan, and follow it like you do believe in it, and watch for the outcome! AWESOME.
Joy2MeNu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #13  

Thank you so much Joy! Yes, my mind set is definitely where it needs to be. I'm so encouraged and inspired right now to do this plan. of course having the accountability of the center is the best thing ever and having my husband do this with me should make it that much easier as well. I'll be stocking up on approved items today to gear up to start tomorrow.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #14  

Good luck Spryng!
Old 10-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 182/163/149

Height: 5'5

Good luck Joy2MeNu on the new program. I am considering it too if I haven't reached goal by the end of December. I hope it works for you.
bbygrl77 is offline   Reply With Quote