Old 10-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #1  

Default Hey y'all! Newbie here!

Hi there! I am new to the site and to Atkins!
I just finished reading The Atkins Essentials book over the weekend. I plan on reading the original book but wanted to jump into it so I read the Essentials first!
Today is Day 1 of induction for me. Reading the book and stuff online has given my brain an overload, I must admit.
I really dont want to fail at this. I do have some questions that I hope some of you can help me with!

I already take a mulitvitamin- Womens one a day. I looked last night and it does have Iron in it. What is the reason that your multi vitamin not have Iron? Should I continue with these since I've always taken them or should I stop due to the Iron?

Salad Dressings! Yikes. I love salad but its the dressings that worry me! Would using something like the Ranch Mix packets for dressing and dip be okay if I use the sour cream? Or what are some of your favorite dressings?

Water! I love water..and I gave up soda and coffee months ago so I am good there. I do however get tired of plain water! Are the sugar free powders you add to bottle watered that bad? I think I could limit myself to one a day.

Gum- as long as its sugar free with Xylitol...this is okay?

and finally..do any of you use a Iphone App or website to help track progress while you are getting the hang of it?

Thanks so much for your help and I look forward to getting to know you!
Bayoulady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoulady View Post
Hi there! I am new to the site and to Atkins!
I just finished reading The Atkins Essentials book over the weekend. I plan on reading the original book but wanted to jump into it so I read the Essentials first!
Today is Day 1 of induction for me. Reading the book and stuff online has given my brain an overload, I must admit.
I really dont want to fail at this. I do have some questions that I hope some of you can help me with!

to Atkins!
My recommendation would be to get Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, 2002 or prior version (anything after 2002, has been "altered" by Atkins Nutritionals Inc.) While the Atkins Essentials book is an excellent book, reading Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution cover to cover (preferably before you begin the Atkins plan) assures you know exactly how & why this plan works. As for anything online, the best resource for Atkins info is the late Dr. Atkins wife, Veronica's website....http://www.veronicaatkinsfoundation.org/

I already take a mulitvitamin- Womens one a day. I looked last night and it does have Iron in it. What is the reason that your multi vitamin not have Iron? Should I continue with these since I've always taken them or should I stop due to the Iron?

The reasoning behind a multivitamin without iron is due to eating meat & veggies on Atkins as both are a good source of Iron. I would say continue taking what you have & maybe consider looking for something without Iron when you've finished what you have.

Salad Dressings! Yikes. I love salad but its the dressings that worry me! Would using something like the Ranch Mix packets for dressing and dip be okay if I use the sour cream? Or what are some of your favorite dressings?

Those Ranch mix packets contain ingredients like Maltodextrin & MSG and have 1 carb per 2 Tbsp. Also, sour cream is limited to 3 Tbsp a day. There are prepared, bottled dressings that low in carbs such as ranch & ceasar. Be sure to read labels for something with low sugar content and no more than 2 carbs per 2 Tbsp serving.

Water! I love water..and I gave up soda and coffee months ago so I am good there. I do however get tired of plain water! Are the sugar free powders you add to bottle watered that bad? I think I could limit myself to one a day.

The sugar free powders you add to water contains ingredients like aspartame & maltodextrin. If you must use them try to find one made with Splenda.

Gum- as long as its sugar free with Xylitol...this is okay?

Dispite what the labels say, each piece of sugar free gum should be counted as 1 carb.

and finally..do any of you use a Iphone App or website to help track progress while you are getting the hang of it?

Most people use FitDay for tracking carbs etc.

Thanks so much for your help and I look forward to getting to know you.
Hope this helps!

You CAN do this!

All the best to you!!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #3  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

Welcome Bayoulady! I think you're going to like the Atkins WOE. I am never hungry on it. Hugs and support on your weight loss journey

Judy
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:25 PM   #4  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Welcome, Bayoulady!

Welcome to a wonderful WOE (Way of Eating). Atkins is awesome; it's the only eating plan I can stick with because I'm never hungry, and I don't fight constant cravings. YAY!

Salad dressings: Bleu cheese (homemade or commercial), commercial Ranch Dressing, and homemade Honey Mustard. Check the "Recipes from What's For Dinner" thread for the sugar-free Honey Mustard dressing. Also, look for the listings of low-carb recipe sites we love.

Very important: READ LABELS on everything before you buy it or try it.

I wish you every success with your WOE. Post often; you'll find lots of supportive friends on the Atkins forum.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #5  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

I hate water and don't want the artificial sweeteners in the low calorie, low carb drinks. I put lots of lemon in water; it's not great but I can drink it. Also, try making a big pitcher of water with a few slices of cucumber in it. The cucumber-infused water is delicious and refreshing.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:57 PM   #6  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Welcome! I wish I could quite diet coke and coffee like you but they are the one thing left I enjoy as a treat so I make it fit, hehe.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:43 PM   #7  

Location: On Planet Earth...I'm waiting for the Oxygen levels to go up on the other planet's before I move

S/C/G: 250/125/120

Height: 5'3"

Wow women more power to you on giving up the coffee and soda. I've tried in the past and have been wholly unsuccessful. I love my coffee in the morning and my afternoon diet coke pick me up. Good luck on the atkins diet!

Last edited by WinterJinx; 10-04-2010 at 11:43 PM.
WinterJinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:28 AM   #8  

S/C/G: starting size 18/ Goal size 10

Height: 5'5''

Welcome Bayoulady and best of luck.
ghost girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #9  

THanks everyone! and Thanks for the tips, support and motivation!
I have checked out fitday, but I also checked out fatsecret, because they have an iphone app.
I have printed out lots of recipes from here too!

I think I did great yesterday and so far , so good today!
I will tell you that I am usually nocturnal and can stay up late- but I was so EXHAUSTED yesterday by 5p.m...it was CRAZY I was asleep for 9!
Old 10-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #10  
Native Texan

S/C/G: 270/231.5/140

Height: 5'2"

I am nocturnal by nature as well. However, I go to work rather early so the two don't jive Getting a good night's sleep will help in your weight loss. I am sure your energy level will pick up soon.
islandchick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #11  

I hope so islandchick, cause today is only day 3 and all I want to do is SLEEP!!
and I have a horrible headache!
Old 10-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterJinx View Post
Wow women more power to you on giving up the coffee and soda. I've tried in the past and have been wholly unsuccessful. I love my coffee in the morning and my afternoon diet coke pick me up. Good luck on the atkins diet!

I gave up smoking almost two years ago (Nov 22)- and gained a ton of weight. Everyone told me if I gave up Soda, I would loose....while I havent gained, I havent loss either! COffee was easier cause I would only have one cup M-F
Old 10-06-2010, 05:41 PM   #13  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Sugary pop does have a lot of calories, you might have replaced it with something else? Sugary pop isn't good for you either way anyways.

I'm glad you made those changes I quit smoking on my birthday last year, Dec 28th. I quit coffee for awhile but I need it in my life. It's better than treating myself with chocolate or other nonsense.

I got the headaches for the first week too, it's your body weaning itself off the carbs and sugar. I hear drinking broth is supposed to help because the salt helps replace what your losing.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #14  

Thanks Stephanie, I will give that a try!

Congrats to you for quitting smoking!