Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-04-2010, 06:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Default Anyone following NRLW?

Hi All,

New Rules of Lifting for Women just arrived in the mail. I've read through the first few sections but haven't gotten to the workout part yet. Is anyone out there using this? Do you strictly follow it as a program, or use it as a reference? Have you seen a change in your strength? In you shape?

He has some pretty interesting things to say about not restricting calories. Hmmm, too late for that.

I've never enjoyed lifting but I feel like it's the missing piece in my health and fitness efforts. I'm hoping if I stick to it for a few weeks, I'll start liking it.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #2  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

I've never even heard of it. Does sound like something worth looking into though since I just started back with strength training. Let me know how it does.
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

I have the book and enjoy the workouts... I did it for 6 months last year and saw some good results in strength and shape. Thanks for the reminder I just may take it out again since Holiday seasion is coming...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #4  

After reading your post I checked the reviews online and have decided to buy this book. Looks like it will be an interesting and different perspective. Will probably read through most of it tomorrow.
Remisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:59 PM   #5  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

I've been using it and am in stage 4. I use it as a reference as I am also training for a half marathon and do not use the food plan at all. I personally just didn't feel the extra cals were necessary for me, but I am also not lifting as heavy as I should. I've seen major results in my muscle tone and overall really enjoy. When I'm done training I plan on kicking it up a notc and then repeating the program as intended, but I'm still on the fence about the food plan. If you check out jpfitness they have a forum for it.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I bought it after seeing it recommended here (and getting an Amazon gift card for my b-day) and just finished it last night.

I, too, was really surprised - and a little freaked out - by the thoughts on calorie restriction.

Lifting weights seems like the next logical step in my fitness efforts, but quite frankly, I'm intimidated. I've never belonged to a gym or lifted anything bigger than a 5 lb. dumbbell. (I know a lot of the exercises can be modified for home, but I have no equipment and no place to put it if I did have it.)

That being said, I think the authors did a good job explaining the program and the exercises themselves, and I think I can manage it. After the first of the year I'm going to re-evaluate my budget, and see about joining a gym so I can start the program. Yes, that means I will be one the millions of people joining a gym after the New Year. We can all foolish together.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote