General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #1  

Default Possible to eat hi-protein + hi-fiber + low-carb?

I'm wondering ifit would be possible to eat in a way that is high in protein AND high in fiber AND low in carbohydrate? (Fat would be moderate to low.)

The reason I ask is that I want to both lose weight and lower my consumption of high-glycemic index carbs while getting enough fiber. It's pretty well established that eating a high-protein/low-carb diet can result in constipation, since when carbohydrate is cut out or significantly reduced so is fiber, itself a carbohydrate (although fiber is indigestable for humans.)
alpo447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #2  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

i guess it would. i havent done it though. you would need to plan it out. sounds very healthy. beans,lentils,veggies. you might try flat out! whole wheat wraps. miss priss turned me on to those. she makes burritos,pizza lots of things. i baked it into 'chips' yesterday. with pesto tuna salad as 'dip'. kinda whole wheat pita bread broken into 'chips'.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #3  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

who wants some brussel sprouts!
my dd and are eating some. checked the label for kicks.
6 balls is only 45 cals. 90%dv of vit.C.
3g fiber
3g protein
8 carbs (i guess thats low carb?) i guess thats 5 net carbs?

they tasted the best for us roasted in evoo and garlic seasoning. steaming wasnt so successful, still a little bitter, but maybe i did it wrong.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

yeah, I think it's doable. Lots of high fiber veggies and protein. I'm not familiar with the glycemic index, but broccoli, cauliflower have fiber. And I actually just picked up a can of pumpkin and noticed it's higher in fiber, 1/2 cup has 5grams of fiber, 9 grams of carbs and 40 calories. not bad!
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Bran is the secret to very high fiber/low carb. Wheat bran, especially, is very high fiber per gram, as is oat bran. You can eat it in cottage cheese or browned ground beef if you want to up your protein.

Note that the germ of a grain is not the same as a the bran: the germ is the baby plant inside, the bran is the outside cover. Both have more fiber than the rest of the grain, but the germ tends to pack some fat as well.

You just have to avoid sugar and bread/pasta like the plague. They are very high calorie and no (or very little) fiber.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpo447 View Post
I'm wondering ifit would be possible to eat in a way that is high in protein AND high in fiber AND low in carbohydrate? (Fat would be moderate to low.)
Absolutely possible - in fact, it's almost the very definition of most of the "ancestor" or "caveman" diets - diets that try to emulate what is believed to have been the pre-historic human diet before the invention of agriculture (some also go further back, before the invention of cooking).

Agriculture was invented about 10,000 years ago, and in those 10,000 years we've bred our animals to be much fattier than their wild counterparts, and have bred our fruits and vegetables to be higher in sugars and other digestible carbs, and much lower in fiber (because less fiber, means "easier to chew, and quicker to digest").

So the "solution" (the ancestor diet advocates claim) is to choose plant foods higher in fiber, higher in omega 3's, and lower in carbs/calories/and sugars; and to choose meats that are generally leaner, yet with a higher proportion of omega 3's.

Examples of ancestor diets are: Primal Blueprint, Neanderthin, The Paleolithic Prescription, The Paleo Diet, Refuse to Regain, The Evolution Diet, Good Calories Bad Calories, Health Secrets of the Stone Age, The Paleo Solution, Metabolic Man...

Last edited by kaplods; 10-03-2010 at 11:30 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:23 AM   #7  
closed

S/C/G: 227.5/217.4/150

Height: 5'7"

Yep, what they all said! Especially if you are going to do "net carbs". Then you can add in servings of healthy beans. Veggies are a must; I always ate lots and lots of veggies when doing low carb. I did not do Atkins, which if I remember correctly does really limit veggies (don't quote me on that though).

I have been doing high protein/low carb exchange program for almost 2 weeks now, and I have not had any problems in that department. But I make sure I eat my fiber in my veggies. Brussel sprouts are great as you've discovered. And I eat spinach almost daily.

~flamanette~
Flamanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #8  

Yes, it can be done. Essentially that is what Sugarbusters, and even South Beach are. I have been following Sugarbusters essentially for years. You can tweak it to suit your needs. You eat low fat proteins, lots of vegetables, and low glycemic starches. High glycemic foods, like white flour, potatoes, sugar, rice, corn are avoided.

Check out the different diets to see if there is one that fits you well. Good luck!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmead View Post
Bran is the secret to very high fiber/low carb. Wheat bran, especially, is very high fiber per gram, as is oat bran. You can eat it in cottage cheese or browned ground beef if you want to up your protein.
Reagrding ground beef, during the early-1990s I believe it was Healthy Choice which used to sell small (1/2 or 1 pound) "tubes" of ground beef with fiber mixed in. I haven't seen the product in ages and assume it's been discontinued.

As a meat-lover, what I'm very interested in doing is preparing my own version of this product, i.e., buy lean ground beef and mix a high-fiber grain into it. Anyone have any suggestions as to which grains to use, where to get them and how to prepare them (if any prep is needed) for mixing with the beef? With such a product I'd be able to consume beef while getting the fiber I'm seeking -- a Godsend!

PS: Thanks so much to all who've posted replies to my original message -- ALL were helpful and informative for me!
alpo447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:27 AM   #10  

Ground flax seed (flaxmeal) can be found at larger grocery stores. Use 1-3 tablespoons daily.
Mix into your ground beef, or other meats.

Flax meal has a sweet, nutty flavor and tastes delicious when sprinkled over cereals, yogurt, soups, salads, and rice. You can also bake flax meal into muffins, pancakes, etc. Mix into meatloaf, casseroles, etc.

Last edited by Sherrie568; 10-15-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Sherrie568 is offline   Reply With Quote