Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-02-2010, 11:12 PM   #1  
TEAM CUPID & BL BLUE TEAM

S/C/G: 306/see ticker/153

Height: 5'3

Default Strength training at home.. with no equipment

So I'm going to try and come up with a strength training routine. I don't have access to a gym, so will be doing it at home. I don't have anything other than a set of 3lb weights and a set of 5 lb wegiths. So far my plan is to:

~Do the 100 pushup challenge
~Do the 200 situp challenge
~Do the 200 squat challenge
~Holy Cow planks (I have to do some research on these.. no idea if I can do them or not)
~Tricep kickbacks (no clue how many to do)
~Bicep curls (no clue how many of these to do either)

What else should I do? Does any of this sound good? I'll be doign these on M, W, F. I really want to try and keep toning up and building muscle while I'm losing, but am pretty much a newbie to exercise and am clueless what constitutes a GOOD weight training exercise program.
JackieHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Check out this link to Crossfit's body weight workouts
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50739

3 & 5lb for a beginner might be challenging, but not for long (if you can do the push up challenge for say, a few days, 3/5lb is nothing, my 4 month old is 20lbs! He's a little chunky though, LOL). That doesn't matter though cause there is a ton of resistance that can be done with body weight
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:03 AM   #3  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

How about a DVD?

I've been using The Trainer's Edge: Integrated Strength Training. You can watch it instantly if you have a Netflix account. I wouldn't rate it a 5 Star workout, but it definitely makes my muscles hurt!

There are also free ones available at exercisetv.tv. I think I'm going to give some of those a try this week.

I've also heard recommendations for Kelly Coffey, Jari Love, and Biggest Loser Power Sculpt.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #4  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred uses 3 or 5lbs weights (depending on each person). Its a good video, yesterday was my first day, i'm sore!
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:32 AM   #5  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

try to find items around the house to use in training. i use a box with phone books in it as a step sometimes. for a higher step i use a sturdy chair or my bed- about 19in high.
put a heavy backpack on. or if you have an infant put them in a carrier on you. try different items- liq. laundry det, 5 gal water jug, or just anything random in your house.
also experiment with different heights/speeds when you do the exercises. you can see an example of this in cathe friedrich's w/o. such as 'low ends' when you do a lower plie/lunge/squat and only slightly go up instead of all the way up. try looking at her Legs and Glutes w/o. this will also give alot of ideas you can try, or any of her w/o. you can watch clips on her website or on utube. if you decide to get some of her w/o, the down loads are very affordable. 3, 8, or 15 bucks each depending on what kind of w/o u want.
also about.com has a good chart of different moves beginner,inter, advanced. i have the one for lower body, i think theres one for upper body too.

just try to mix it up so your body's not too used to the moves.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #6  
TEAM CUPID & BL BLUE TEAM

S/C/G: 306/see ticker/153

Height: 5'3

Thanks so much everyone!!!!! I'm going to check all these out.
JackieHollow is offline   Reply With Quote