Old 08-14-2010, 07:29 AM   #1  

Post Hi

i am a 40 yr old mother of 3. ive decided to try to get back in shape, actually ive been trying for about 6 mos, but keep getting side tracked. now, i believe im ready. i have a very supportive husband and family. but w/the holidays coming up, im worried. but i know i can get thru it. ive done lo carb in the past w/great results.........but it didnt last. i found all id lost m and then some. but this time i want to make it work, and keep it off. not sure what is the best plan to follow tho.......lo carb or lo fat......so im hoping yall can help. i look forward to meeting a lot of great friends on here. have a great day,
thanks
Laura
missbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185 / 165 / 135

Height: 5' 4"

hey there...
this is my first time posting in the 40-something forum. i will be 40 in november, so i thought i'd get a head start! I also have 3 kids and a great husband, so i understand many of the challenges and positives of trying to lose weight with 4 other people in the house who really aren't.

I've crafted a goal which everyone in my house has kinda bought into...it's my "50 by 40 goal". Basically...i'm gonna try to drop 50 pounds by the time I turn 40. The worst part about the goal was admitting to my family that I needed to lose 50 lbs. Humbling! But, everybody's onboard and very encouraging.

I'm doing the Metabolic Research Diet plan...it's no magic bullet though. It's basically low-carb/high protein plan which emphasizes proper portion sizes. I also try to get in about 2hours of exercise a week. So far i'm progressing pretty well as far as i'm concerned. Ups and downs...yes, but overall, i'm happy with it.

Good luck to you and your journey!!
jetperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 232.6/232.0/165

Height: 5'6"

Hi!

I'm also new here.

After being a SAHM for the past 5 years I am headed back to work as a substitute teacher. I'm hoping not hearing the words "mommy I'm hungry" 20 times a day will keep me away from temptation! lol

I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia so I am eating 5-6 small meals a day, heavy on the veggies and protein and very light on fruit and carbs. I'm aiming to lose 60 pounds and then fine tune my goal weight.

What are you doing for exercise? I'm doing the bike,walking and yoga.

Nice meeting both of you and good luck to us all!
Maddie
MaddieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:38 AM   #4  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

Hi all, also new here! I do a calorie counting plan with exercise (walking, some light running, a little bicycling mostly). I think most "plans" will work if you work the plan, it is a matter of choosing one that fits YOUR specific lifestyle.

I hope to continue seeing you guys in this forum, it is a little intimidating being faced with the threads by folks who've been here a super long time, it's hard to jump right in!
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #5  

Height: 5'

I first posted out here in 2007 when I was starting yet another diet - here I am again still trying to lose the same weight in 2010. Trying to do it using the original Body Flex (it worked very well for me back in 1998; too bad I abandoned it when I started traveling) and get the weight off once and for all (how many times have we all said that)?

Besides, traveling is a bear at a size 22. I remember it being much easier when I was a size 18.

Some camaraderie goes a long way for me, especially since I'm working from home.
samanthaf63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #6  
Just keep swimming...

S/C/G: 215/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

Samantha, I first registered in 2005 and now it is 2010 and I realize, I don't think I can do this alone! So I decided to start posting.

Since 2005 I've been down and I've up several times, which is just depressing beyond words. I want to get down and learn how to STAY there, not keep making the same mistakes over and over!

So I hope we can help each other achieve our long term goals!
My Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #7  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbutterfly View Post
ive done lo carb in the past w/great results.........but it didnt last. i found all id lost m and then some. but this time i want to make it work, and keep it off. not sure what is the best plan to follow tho....
HI Laura!
I'm 47 and have been dieting most of my adult life. I have lost 30-40 pounds at least 6 times.

The one thing I have learned is that ANY diet *can* work for you - as long as you can keep it up. Therefore, altho I lost 35 pounds on low carb (twice!)... the weight eventually came back on (and then some) because I could not keep up the low carb way of eating forever. I also lost about 25 lbs on low-fat a few years ago, but also, could not keep it up forever, therefore the weight came back & brought several buddies!

The perfect diet for anyone is the diet that works for them. You may have to try several diets before you find which one works for you. I have tried several... and several have worked.... for a little while. So obviously I have not found THE RIGHT DIET FOR ME just yet. Once I lose the weight & can maintain the loss, then I'll know it's the right diet for me.

Good luck in your journey! - and come here OFTEN! - this place is full of good tips, recipes, and the best support system on-line!!!!!

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 08-26-2010 at 11:06 AM.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:16 AM   #8  

Hi! My name is Michelle and I am new to this forum thing but I am not new to dieting!! I have been spending time reading blogs and forum posts on 3FC and I can honestly say that I can relate to so many of you. We do all seem to be in the same boat. Anyway...I wanted to say hi to everyone.

I am a 46 yr old from Michigan. Married with 3 kids....well not technically "kids anymore...lol....22(g) 19(b) and 17(b). I want to lose about 90 lbs. That seems like such a lot when I see it in print. I started a year ago and lost 35....only to see it start creeping slowly back up.

Dieting is hard.

MichieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:09 AM   #9  

S/C/G: starting size 18/ Goal size 10

Height: 5'5''

Hello and Welcome Michelle and best of luck on your weight loss journey. You've come to the right place, alot of great info and support.
ghost girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #10  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

Hey Laura- and everyone! I also am new to 3FC. I wish you the best with your diet. You are at the right place. You will find loads of ideas and encouragement. I also have been thinking about the holidays and how I will do when I see all the food. I have lost 47 pounds since June and I don't want to ruin all the hard work. I think I will try to focus on home decor and try to keep my mind off of food so much. And in my minds eye try to see myself as much slimmer come next Spring.
My husband helps me with my accountability. I keep a dated log of my weight and I show it to him. He comments on my success and encourages me when it slows.
goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote