Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'3

Default wellbutrin vs. Zoloft?

My doc gave me a perscription today for the generic wellbutrin, to replace my zoloft, she says it sounds like a MUCH better way for me to go and says that it will curb the cravings for ciggarettes, and my appetite as well. (TMI: and should not have the same *cough cough* sexual side effects)

any one want to share their knowledge on wellbutrin? I am a little nervous about switching but the zoloft just isnt doing it for me anymore!
Princess Tiefling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:08 PM   #2  
Going back to Onderland!

S/C/G: 289/ticker/189

Height: 5'8"

Wellbutrin has seriously has been a miracle in my life! Not only did it drastically improve my depression symptoms, but it did help with my cravings. Plus it gives me a lot of energy and motivation so I actually want to exercise. As for your TMI subject, that is true as well. I have been struggling to get my weight off for awhile and now it doesn't feel like a losing battle.
But that's just how it affect me, medications affect everyone differently.

Last edited by NurseSara; 10-02-2010 at 02:08 AM.
NurseSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I giant puffy heart my Wellbutrin! I was on Zoloft after I had my first daughter (for PPD) and I had SUCH bad sexual side effects - I had absolutely no sex drive whatsoever....and well beyond the point where it could be confused with exhaustion from the baby. Once I switched to Wellbutrin (after I was finished nursing) it was like night and day! It just works so much better for me - helped curb my appetite, helped level out my sex drive, and I actually FELT better. I was on 150mg for a long time, and when I went to visit a new doctor, she recommended that we try 300mg, and that was my sweet spot. It seemed to fill in all the gaps that were missing with the 150mg and I feel like this is how I was supposed to feel my entire life but just didn't. I really can't sing the praises of Wellbutrin enough.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:26 PM   #4  
Sammi

S/C/G: 243.5/201.5/149

Height: 5'5''

Your doc is exactly right, wellbutrin does help with all those things (cravings/no sexual side effects/etc). Just be aware that when you start up you might have trouble sleeping for the first few days. That will go away when you get used to it though. Good luck!
aliquot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

For me ~

Welbutrin

Zoloft

Just remember, everyone is different. Good luck
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 235/135

Height: 5'4"

Default welbutrin

Welbutrin really helped my depression, but I had to stop due to headaches...I hope you can continue to take it with success
keepnsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:09 PM   #7  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

I am doing great on Wellbutrin XL; first the true brand name, and now the generic version seems to be fine. I wish my appetite was more curbed BUT yes it gave me the motivation to try to eat better and yes I work out regularly, which i just couldn't do before (on Lexapro).

Also have had no problems in the bedroom dept., yay.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #8  

Ok, its been days not since I started the wellbutrin and thought I would update:

I started taking the full 300 mg on tuesday.. It gives me a boost of energy, but if I take the second dose early enough I can sleep..

My depressin symptoms have returned tho.. I cant stop crying and just feel like a slug all the time.. I am hoping that the wellbutrin will help.. doc says it could take up to six weeks.

The transition between meds sucks!
Old 10-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #9  
Too big to fail!

S/C/G: 202.8/192/150

I have been taking Wellbutrin for nearly 9 years now and I LOVE it. I have added in other SSI's over the years but Wellbutrin is always a staple. The generic version works just as well as the name brand so it's really affordable as well.
Right now I am trying to wean off Cymbalta and it's a pure nightmare........
the withdrawl symptoms are worse than depression................it's a viscious cycle. Add trying to lose weight into the mix and you've got a real uphill battle.
It is a battle worth fighting though for myself and my family
pamelasusan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #10  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

I was put on Wellbutrin to control my ADD symptoms and I couldn't take it. I was crying all the time, when I wasn't crying I was screaming and angry. I started having nightmares and panic attacks... things that weren't happening before I started the meds. It lasted about 4 weeks before my doctor took me off and put me back on the stimulant meds.

These things work differently for everyone, and yep, there is an adjustment period for everyone. I'm on Concerta right now, and for the first week and a half of taking it I was so tired I could barely stay awake and I wanted to eat everything in sight. (It's a stimulant, so one would think it would give you energy, and it's usually an appetite suppressant, LOL)
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:23 AM   #11  
Sammi

S/C/G: 243.5/201.5/149

Height: 5'5''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Tiefling View Post
Ok, its been days not since I started the wellbutrin and thought I would update:

I started taking the full 300 mg on tuesday.. It gives me a boost of energy, but if I take the second dose early enough I can sleep..

My depressin symptoms have returned tho.. I cant stop crying and just feel like a slug all the time.. I am hoping that the wellbutrin will help.. doc says it could take up to six weeks.

The transition between meds sucks!
I cried for like 3 stays straight when I started lol. I hope you're feeling better now!
aliquot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #12  

Im still overemotional. Crying over everything.. and trying to get some sleep.. I am having a hard time turning my brain off now :S

I am now on week 2, getting better, and even lost 3 pounds this week without trying lol.. I am hoping that we keep on the upward swing, once I can get my emotions under control weather it be meds or counseling or a combination on both I am going to give quitting smoking another try..
Old 10-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 216/212.8/180

Height: 5'-8"

I have been on Zoloft for 5 weeks. It is the first time I have been on any medication. I am hungry all the time, but I do feel more centered. Except now I am depressed about gaining more weight. I thought of calling the doctor but I am sure he will say to give it at least 6 weeks. I am hoping the cravings will stop. I also have been having headaches but I m not sure if it is sinus problems or the medication.

Pint size Terror: my step son was put on Concerta for his ADHD and he gained a lot of weight.
amym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #14  

Hey Ladies,

I just started taking my Wellbutrin (generic) one week ago. How long was it before you started to see a change in mood? I'm still so emotional and cry over everything.
klita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by klita View Post
Hey Ladies,

I just started taking my Wellbutrin (generic) one week ago. How long was it before you started to see a change in mood? I'm still so emotional and cry over everything.
I JUST started feeling better, about 10 days in.. then developed an allergy to it so had to go off it.. IT was working wonders for me! Wierd I have never had an allergic reaction to meds before