Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 09:49 PM   #1  

Default Is Yoga enough for toning?

Besides my daily cardio, I have been doing yoga daily and love it. I also try and get in toning on rubber bands 2x weekly, but I REALLY REALLY HATE THEM! I hate all weight training, in fact. So, I am wondering if yoga can also count as my toning??

Peace,
Paula
Old 03-16-2003, 05:38 PM   #2  

I just started doing yoga and Pilates classes recently, so I'm certainly *not* an expert on this. But based on my experiences recently I think so. The muscle soreness that I experience following one of my classes feels very similar to what I feel following a weight workout. And this shouldn't be surprising, because yoga is weight-bearing exercise isn't it?

One other comment would be to check out the bodies of most yoga instructors. If they're not tone, I don't know who is.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:54 PM   #3  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

It depends on the yoga programme you are following.

Those horrible bands are easier to use safely and effectively from a video, without an instructor on hand, than a yoga programme is. But if you prefer yoga and you do feel the burn in all of your muscles, and it feels the same as ones that burn when you use the bands, then do whichever pleases you most.

You will get more out of a programme you enjoy than one you don't. So even if the yoga one is less effective when measured minute for minute, YOU will still get more out of it because YOU enjoy it more!

I hope this helps,
Old 03-18-2003, 02:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

It really depends on what type of yoga workout you are doing-I weight train twice a week and dance-so my yoga workouts are the type more geared towards stretching, flexibility, and releasing my back-this type is great for flexibility and back care, but not enough to provide muscle toning. If you are taking a power yoga class, or doing a video geared towards body toning, then you will find better results. What may help is to go to www.collagevideo.com, and to read the information on the yoga videos out there-and choose the ones geared more towards muscle toning.
Aphil
Old 03-18-2003, 10:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Certain forms of yoga (Astanga is the "power yoga") & pilates can be used for toning, flexibility, balance, concentration, coordination & weight loss... but you'll only build bone density by weight-training. Also, there are no studies (that I know of, someone tell me if you know of one) that proves yoga or pilates can build as much muscle as weight training.

That being said, I agree with Stef that you have to find a balance of exercise that you enjoy doing (or at least you don't despise it, lol) - or you won't stick with it in the long run & you won't get as much out of it while you're doing it.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:04 PM   #6  

"...but you'll only build bone density by weight training."

Is that true? I've always been under the impression that any weight bearing exerise increases bone density - including many forms of cardio like running.

Just curious.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:12 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Some weight bearing exercise will build bone density, such as walking and running, but weight training is the most effective, due to you working every part of your body-wheras walking only works certain parts.
Aphil
Closed Thread